Game Theater XP...is it really 6.1?

G

I have read reviews on the Game Theater XP and some say that the card itself only supports 4.1. Is this true? I was hoping to use Klipsch Pro Media 5.1 speakers with it. Even if it is 4.1, I don't think it really matters, but how will the card use the center channel? That's what confuses me...would it just not be used at all?

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Not sure what the heck 6.1 means either....but its got full 5.1 support now in its latest incarnation.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Not sure what the heck 6.1 means either.
I believe it's a rear center channel. Also, there's a 7.1 standard available in hi-fi, which I think refers to side channels. Not sure if there's a 9.1 yet, which would be top and bottom channels, but you can bet it's coming...

Ritesh

FatBurger

Illustrious
7.1 adds two side channels and takes away the rear center channel that 6.1 adds. Let's see if I can do a picture:

<pre>X X X
YOU
X X
</pre><p>
<pre>X X X
YOU
X X X
</pre><p>
<pre>X X X
X YOU X
X X
</pre><p>
<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
LOL! I hope this doesn't offend anyone but:

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the World Trade Center, along came Bin Laden, and blew up the spider.

:wink: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I'm just glad they didnt cancel "The Sum of All Fears" movie... Trade Center woulda been cool if they'd left it in spiderman. If ya ask me the aliens in MIB2 are the worst terrorists-) Hand over the galaxy in 1 hr or we destroy your planet...sorry bout the inconvenience. :lol:

People need to wake up and smell the napalm. :cool: I don't find that line offensive-) but then its not very funny either...

it looks to me like a 16.1 setup would be optimum for gaming. Two layers of 8.1, one about 2 ft above you and one about 2 ft below you. Should work well-) Not that creative or anyone else would produce a sound card that could handle that... :smile:

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
doh. I agree, woulda been awsome. Personally I think games ought to come out and confront the issue of terrorism and not let it get shoved behind the curtains. We've already fallen back into the pre-911 mentality of "It'll never happen to us, who cares about all these warnings and wars and stuff, we're safe, oooo, wtc picture, take it down we dont to remember that. And, sue the guy who put it up while we're at it, make a quick buck."

edited: Amazing how fast threads go off topic isnt it? :lol:
Back to work...no benefits. Back to work...no benefits.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 05/21/02 05:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Yea, i almost forgot it was Houston-) 5 days of good cool weather in Houston in late May...so much for global warming. Worked out great for me, whole family was in town for the weekend for a special event.

LoL@Jiucebykurt - That line actually rings a sad bell for computers, hardware, and games these days. Alot of politicians out there crusading against alot of games and hardware we all enjoy and appreciate tremendously. Anyone else accidently buy a CPRM dysfunctional CD recently? heh.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 05/22/02 04:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Ok, I was asking because I read a lot of reviews on the "Game Theater XP" and it said that 5.1 support was only available when you use PowerDVD's Dolby 5.1 Decoder, meaning it wouldn't work in 5.1 mode for games. So now it will do 5.1 for anything? (games especially!)

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Not to stick my foot in my mouth or anything...

But, if i understand correctly, yes, it works for games very well now. Only problem is, i dont technically have a 5.1 speaker sys to try it on.... I have a 4.1 and a 4,000,000.26(headphones). :cool: