Total Recorder problem: scheduler's mini-browser doesn't w..

Last response: in Home Audio
March 29, 2005 1:05:52 PM

I use a Win98 system with Netscape 7.0 as my main browser, although IE
6.0 is installed.

After happily using Total Recorder for a couple of years, I just
upgraded to the Professional Edition in order to use its scheduling
feature. At a specified time, TR will open a web site and begin
recording. To schedule such a recording, TR contains a "mini-browser"
so that one can select the URL.

However, the mini-browser in my TR doesn't work correctly. To sum up,
TR's mini-browser will not access a web page unless IE is first booted
and also accessing that web page, and then TR's mini-browser will not
always access the page. TR's mini-browser seems to sort of "follow"
IE's lead, although TR's mini-browser will not access many web sites
even after IE has accessed them.

I apologize for being long-winded, but here are the details.

Under "Schedule Item" when I check the box for "Connect to website and
Play Internet transmission" and then click on "Tune", Total Recorder's
mini-browser always displays the web page that has been designated as
home page for both my browsers, Netscape 7.0 and IE 6.0. At this
point, only Netscape, my main browser, is open.

It is important to note that at this point the "home" web page being
shown by TR's mini-browser is not the most current form of that home
page, so perhaps TR's mini-browser is finding it in cache. My home
page in both browsers is set to the Drudge Report
(http://drudgereport.com/). That Drudge site is updated often, and the
most current version is shown in my Netscape browser window, but *not*
in TR's mini-browser window. In the mini-browser window, it is showing
an older version of the Drudge Report. No matter how many times I
attempt to access it in the mini-browser, it just doesn't change and
show the most recent Drudge Report page that Netscape shows.

Now, the odd part is that if I then boot IE 6.0, which of course
displays its home page - also the Drudge Report - and *then* I try
reaccessing it using TR's mini-browser, the most recent version *does*
appear in the mini-browser!

Further experimentation shows that TR's mini-browser will not access
any web site until that site has first been accessed through IE. TR's
mini-browser will sometimes access web sites *after* they have first
been accessed by IE, although TR's mini-browser will not access all
sites that IE accesses. There are still many sites where TR's
mini-browser gives the "cannot find server" message, even after IE has
accessed them fine.

***To sum up, TR's mini-browser will not access a web page unless IE
is first booted and also accessing that web page. TR's mini-browser
seems to sort of "follow" IE's lead, although TR's mini-browser will
not access many web sites even after IE has accessed them.***

And note that TR's mini-browser does not "follow" the Netscape browser
at all; TR's mini-browser simply seems not to be influenced by
Netscape at all, even though Netscape is my designated main browser,
not IE, and all my computer seems to know it except TR's mini-browser,
which seems to require IE to be running and accessing a web site
before the mini-browser will even consider accessing that site.

And for those who think this might be a firewall problem, I do use
Norton Firewall. However, when a program tries to contact the
internet, norton firewall (NF) always asks my permission, and whether
to give it permission once or always. However, NF never mentions that
any program is trying to access the internet when Total Recorder's
mini-browser is trying to do so.

Also, just now I completely disabled NF, and then tried TR's
mini-browser, but with the same result - a "cannot find server" error
message from TR.

If the problem is with my firewall, I don't understand why the problem
would persist even when the firewall is disabled.

So, can someone please help me solve my Total Recorder mini-browser
problem?

Thanks very much in advance.

-fan
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 1:05:53 PM

"fan" wrote...
>I use a Win98 system with Netscape 7.0 as my main browser,
> although IE 6.0 is installed.
>
> After happily using Total Recorder for a couple of years, I just
> upgraded to the Professional Edition in order to use its scheduling
> feature. At a specified time, TR will open a web site and begin
> recording. To schedule such a recording, TR contains a "mini-
> browser" so that one can select the URL.
>
> However, the mini-browser in my TR doesn't work correctly.
> To sum up, TR's mini-browser will not access a web page
> unless IE is first booted and also accessing that web page,
> and then TR's mini-browser will not always access the page.
> TR's mini-browser seems to sort of "follow" IE's lead, although
> TR's mini-browser will not access many web sites even after
> IE has accessed them
>
> So, can someone please help me solve my Total Recorder mini-
> browser problem?

What did the vendor say when you asked them?
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 9:38:36 PM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:25:07 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>"fan" wrote...
>>I use a Win98 system with Netscape 7.0 as my main browser,
>> although IE 6.0 is installed.
>>
>> After happily using Total Recorder for a couple of years, I just
>> upgraded to the Professional Edition in order to use its scheduling
>> feature. At a specified time, TR will open a web site and begin
>> recording. To schedule such a recording, TR contains a "mini-
>> browser" so that one can select the URL.
>>
>> However, the mini-browser in my TR doesn't work correctly.
>> To sum up, TR's mini-browser will not access a web page
>> unless IE is first booted and also accessing that web page,
>> and then TR's mini-browser will not always access the page.
>> TR's mini-browser seems to sort of "follow" IE's lead, although
>> TR's mini-browser will not access many web sites even after
>> IE has accessed them
>>
>> So, can someone please help me solve my Total Recorder mini-
>> browser problem?
>
>What did the vendor say when you asked them?

They do not know what is causing my problem and are unable to
replicate it. They say:

In fact, the Total Recorder mini-browser uses internal modules of
Internet Explorer in a standard way. Therefore functioning of the TR
mini-browser depends of the configuration of Internet Explorer. You
need to check settings of Internet Explorer that may affect usage of
the files cache (Temporary Internet files).

Regretfully, we were not able to reproduce this problem and therefore
we cannot indicate which settings specifically may cause it.

If the problem persists, we would recommend that you do the following:

1. While scheduling a task, check the box "Run" ( panel "While
scheduled job started...") instead of "Connect to Website and play
Internet transmission".

2. Enter the actual address of transmission in the "Run" field.

If Internet Explorer doesn't show the complete address for the
transmission, you can try to obtain it by launching the transmission
window, pressing CTRL+D to add the link to folder "Favorites" in
Internet Explorer, and then check the "Favorites" to get the complete
address.

Regards,

High Criteria Support Team
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 3:10:29 AM

"fan" <fan@fan.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:25:07 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
> <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
>
>>"fan" wrote...
>>>I use a Win98 system with Netscape 7.0 as my main browser,
>>> although IE 6.0 is installed.
>>>
>>> After happily using Total Recorder for a couple of years, I just
>>> upgraded to the Professional Edition in order to use its scheduling
>>> feature. At a specified time, TR will open a web site and begin
>>> recording. To schedule such a recording, TR contains a "mini-
>>> browser" so that one can select the URL.
>>>
>>> However, the mini-browser in my TR doesn't work correctly.
>>> To sum up, TR's mini-browser will not access a web page
>>> unless IE is first booted and also accessing that web page,
>>> and then TR's mini-browser will not always access the page.
>>> TR's mini-browser seems to sort of "follow" IE's lead, although
>>> TR's mini-browser will not access many web sites even after
>>> IE has accessed them
>>>
>>> So, can someone please help me solve my Total Recorder mini-
>>> browser problem?
>>
>>What did the vendor say when you asked them?
>
> They do not know what is causing my problem and are unable to
> replicate it. They say:
>
> In fact, the Total Recorder mini-browser uses internal modules of
> Internet Explorer in a standard way. Therefore functioning of the TR
> mini-browser depends of the configuration of Internet Explorer. You
> need to check settings of Internet Explorer that may affect usage of
> the files cache (Temporary Internet files).

Do you have all the versions and patches for IE up to date?
Just because you aren't using it as your manual web browser
doesn't mean that other applications (like Total Recorder)
aren't using pieces of it behind the scenes.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 3:34:23 PM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:10:29 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>"fan" <fan@fan.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:25:07 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
>> <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
>>
>>>"fan" wrote...

>>>What did the vendor say when you asked them?
>>
>> They do not know what is causing my problem and are unable to
>> replicate it. They say:
>>
>> In fact, the Total Recorder mini-browser uses internal modules of
>> Internet Explorer in a standard way. Therefore functioning of the TR
>> mini-browser depends of the configuration of Internet Explorer. You
>> need to check settings of Internet Explorer that may affect usage of
>> the files cache (Temporary Internet files).
>
>Do you have all the versions and patches for IE up to date?
>Just because you aren't using it as your manual web browser
>doesn't mean that other applications (like Total Recorder)
>aren't using pieces of it behind the scenes.

Yes. I just checked, and have IE Version 6.0.2800.1106, which is the
latest service pack (SP1). The MS site scanned my computer and said I
needed two security updates for IE, which I just downloaded and
installed. However, the problem with the Total Recorder mini-browser
persists.
!