Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 freezes after sleep?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
April 8, 2012 2:39:33 AM

So I've tried many things, I've tried turning off hybrid sleep, installed all of the windows updates, and for whatever reason when I put my computer to sleep and wake it up the screen pops up, but once I click the computer becomes unresponsive and then later freezes.

I don't know what can be the Problem, when I go into my BIOS and change it to sp1 it works but my pc isn't off fully. When it's on sp3 it freezes up.

It's a new build, and I have a fresh windows 7 64 bit installed. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Here's my build if that helps:

i5 2500k

Sapphire 7870 oc edition 2gb ddr5

ballistix 4x2 GB

Seagate 1 TB HD

Gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 motherboard

Hyper 212 evo

nzxt phantom case

Also Hibernate works, but when you wake it from sleep it boots back up, but once you click it becomes unresponsive and when you click a couple more times it freezes completely

More about : windows freezes sleep

a b $ Windows 7
April 8, 2012 9:40:42 AM

1. Reset bios so it is running with Gigabytes defaults.
2. Clean build + all updates
3. Default motherboard/gpu drivers.

What happens?
m
l
April 8, 2012 10:22:41 AM

In my experience this is usually a graphics driver problem - the driver fails to initialise when waking from sleep. The computer seems alive but the screen is dead. The bad news is that if the graphics driver is the problem then there is no single solution that works all the time for everyone. In some cases people have reported that if they have their monitor set to a refresh rate above 60Hz, there is a bug in recent nVidia drivers that causes the computer to crash when waking from sleep.

As a side note, it really p*sses me off that something as basic and essential as waking from sleep is still broken on Windows. Microsoft told us they'd fixed sleep problems when they introduced vista and they told us they'd fixed it again when they introduced Windows 7.

And yet these days I just don't bother with sleep because the range of things that can go wrong, and the tedious process of trying to identify and fix them, is seemingly endless. I turn my computers off completely. Sleep on windows machines seem far more trouble than it's worth. It's unforgivable because everyone knows that instant on is the new black in the computer world. Quite simply, it's basic functionality in a mobile computing context. And yet again it's microsoft that seems to be behind everybody else.
m
l
!