Bizarre Download/Upload Speed Ratio

airborne101st45

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Hi, I am not a network expert but I understand that the download speed is always higher than the upload speed, right? I just bought a new internet package that comes with 5 mb/s download speed. The Upload speed should be around 1 mb/s right? Speedtest.net gives me 5 mb/s download speed and 53.62 mb/s upload speed. I called my internet provider and the girl told me it is normal. How can that be normal?

I also have another weird issue. When I try to watch a video (youtube, netflix, etc...) the video starts loading correctly but stops loading after 10-15 seconds. I did a download test by downloading Itunes and the download starts correctly at 600 KB/s but after a 2-6 seconds, the downloaded megabytes stop increasing and download speed just drops until it reaches 0 and the download cancels itself.

airborne101st45

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010

Hi,
They installed optic fiber cables 2 days ago, that's when this weird thing started lol. Anything I can edit on the modem?

RealBeast

Titan
I would make it very simple and stress that your download speeds are way down since the work done a few days ago -- they won't understand DL/UL differences -- good luck!

RealBeast

Titan
If they are DSL using PPoE you can check your router configuration to insure that you are using an MTU size of 1492 rather than 1500 -- but I think it is their issue since all was well until a few days ago.