No OS Visible in Boot Tab

deadl4st

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
I was recently trying to enable the "No GUI boot" option in the Boot tab of the System Configuration simply because I was tired of waiting for that stupid logo to load before getting into my computer. I figured this was easy enough. Well, I went into the Boot tab and I was unable to click any of the options. I soon realized that this was because I had no OS visible in little white sub-window. I thought this was pretty shocking, it's supposed to say "Windows 7(C:\Windows) : Current OS; Default OS" for me since I'm running Win 7 (64 if it matters).
I've looked into the issue quite a bit, but almost everyone with this problem seems to have a much more serious problem of not even being able to boot at all. This same research has led me to think that it's something with my bootloader. I've tried running EasyBCD, but it tells me "There are a total of 0 entries listed in the bootloader". If, from inside EasyBCD, I try to go to Tools->Edit Legacy Entries it tells me:
"Boot.ini is located on the hidden boot partition and cannot be loaded for user editing by EasyBCD. Please either assign a drive letter to the hidden boot partition or use the Windows XP dual-boot auto-configuration feature instead."
I've also tried a second method, which was to boot from my Windows 7 install disc and get to the command prompt and type in (in order): "bootrec /FixMbr", "bootrec /FixBoot", "bootrec /RebuildBcd". The first two commands were successful, and although the last command returned successful, it tells me "Total identified Windows installations: 0".
Like I said before, when I search for information on this I get just tons and tons of posts about people not being able to boot at all and solutions that are pretty hardcore, involving reformats and such. I don't have any negative symptoms like this, my Windows runs fine and everything is great. I just don't understand why I would have these errors, it really makes no sense to me whatsoever, and it is actually pretty alarming. I began this venture with the simple desire to disable my windows boot-up GUI, but stumbled on something that could potentially be more serious. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

deadl4st

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
:bounce: A solution!!! :bounce:

Through a heavy academic workload I managed to get some free time to do some more exploration into this issue. I read a post from June of 2011 where someone was having an issue with their computer just completely shutting down when they just wanted it to hibernate. Now I know that this isn't my exact issue, but there were some answers for this guy that were relevant to my problem. The poster instructed him to:

"Run the following command: bcdedit -enum all
Look for "Resume from Hibernate" in the output from the command above
"

I decided to try running this command to see what options I might have available to me, and upon doing so I get the message:

"The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
The system could not find the file specified
"

I looked a little farther into information on this output line and found more discussion from people with hibernation issues. Not only that, but this bug was also preventing a successful system backup. These individuals also had the same issue I had before with 0 windows installations showing. There was an apparent fix discovered by someone, and an ensuing thread about it. The fix is to simply assign a letter to your hidden partition. The reasoning behind this fix is up in the air though. The thread was fantastic in that it had Microsoft support actively trying to resolve the issue with their input as well.

Source:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/aa5a9a17-7fb1-4ff3-9a9e-0b90f9880ee0

After making this change the OP was able to both hibernate AND back up his system successfully. Backing up my system is not something I do frequently, so I decided to do it to see if I also encountered any error with it. Sure enough, the backup failed and put out the same error code as the OP in that thread: 0x80070002.

In short, THIS SOLUTION WORKS!!! I simply assigned my OS's hidden partition a drive letter and immediately after doing so my operating system became visible in my Boot tab. Not only that but a system backup worked without a hitch. I actually had been having issues with my computer failing to enter a sleep state as well, but that was only a recent occurrence after applying a recent MS Update, so I just assumed it was a faulty update bug or something. So now my computer is Sleeping like a narcaleptic.

I'm rather proud of myself for digging to the bottom of this issue and finding the solution, even if I don't fully understand it. On that note I'd like to ride my high horse at least one more time and say a big YOU'RE WELCOME for anyone else who might have been dealing with these issues.

This one change solves three big issues:
1. Restores functionality/system recognition of the bootloader
2. Allows your computer to successfully hibernate/sleep once more
3. Allows your system backup to work successfully

I truly hope this has helped some of you. I know that there are countless threads out there for each of these three issues with no solutions posted. If I were a less lazy/better person I'd go onto each of those respective forums, make an account, and post this reply. Hopefully this solution will start to turn up on Google now for those in need!

InTheAir

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

Thanks for coming back and posting your solution, I was unable to access the bootloader on a Win7 64 install. I'm not sure I would have ever gone to the drive manager and realized that the hidden partition was the culprit. I gave it a drive letter and magically BCDEDIT works. Thank you again.

Jon

deadl4st

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Hey that's great! Glad it helped. I'm curious though, how did you find this old thread? Did it come up in a Google search? If so I'm glad that it comes up in a Google search, it definitely wasn't that easy for me =P.

Roki3112

Honorable
May 30, 2013
What fixed my problem was making the C partition active.. this merged the bootable partition which didn't have a drive letter and the OS partition into one. after making it active quickly go to run>msconfig>boot and see if its there, restart and it should work.

Good luck :bounce: