Sony Ericsson & it's appaling customer support.

Last response: in Brands
September 23, 2004 12:09:06 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

I'm still having problems installing (or uninstalling) PC suite for
the K700i so I thought it was time to email SE for their assistance.

The message was...

----
>I can't install or uninstall PC Suite without the process crashing at
>the 'removing temporary files' section. OK, most of the applications
>'seem' to be installed OK but I cannot get PC Sync to complete.
>Ideally, I'd like the applications to work but failing that, I want
>to remove *ALL* software and registry settings for PC Suite so please
>can you send me details of how to do this.
----

The reply I got 4-5 days later was..

----
>Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.
>
>With regards to your enquiry, as this is not a known problem with the
>PC Suite software, we suggest that you contact the support for your OS.
>You will also have to contact them regarding making changes to the
>registry.
>We are sorry that we cannot be of more help at this stage, but please
>do not hesitate to contact us again to troubleshoot the connection.
----

So, it appears that no one at SE knows how to remove it's own software
if something goes wrong. The fact that they suggested I call my OS's
customer support to ask them how to uninstall *their* software (and
registry entries) honestly shocked me.

I'm definitely not going to but another SE product if customer support
is as incompetent and indifferent as this.

Dale Walker London Techno Events Saiko!
dale@sorted.org london@sorted.org saiko@sorted.org
London, UK london.sorted.org saiko.sorted.org
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:50:10 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <n1i3l05f0oas9ujkhi0inpmc542hefvrvi@4ax.com> on Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:09:06
+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:

>I'm still having problems installing (or uninstalling) PC suite for
>the K700i so I thought it was time to email SE for their assistance.
>
>The message was...
>
>----
>>I can't install or uninstall PC Suite without the process crashing at
>>the 'removing temporary files' section. OK, most of the applications
>>'seem' to be installed OK but I cannot get PC Sync to complete.
>>Ideally, I'd like the applications to work but failing that, I want
>>to remove *ALL* software and registry settings for PC Suite so please
>>can you send me details of how to do this.
>----
>
>The reply I got 4-5 days later was..
>
>----
>>Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.
>>
>>With regards to your enquiry, as this is not a known problem with the
>>PC Suite software, we suggest that you contact the support for your OS.
>>You will also have to contact them regarding making changes to the
>>registry.
>>We are sorry that we cannot be of more help at this stage, but please
>>do not hesitate to contact us again to troubleshoot the connection.
>----
>
>So, it appears that no one at SE knows how to remove it's own software
>if something goes wrong. The fact that they suggested I call my OS's
>customer support to ask them how to uninstall *their* software (and
>registry entries) honestly shocked me.
>
>I'm definitely not going to but another SE product if customer support
>is as incompetent and indifferent as this.

What did you expect? You'd get much the same response from any other software
vendor.

Your problem is probably being caused by something on your system (worm,
virus, anti-virus, firewall, configuration) for which SE is not responsible.

September 23, 2004 12:50:11 AM

I've contact SE on several occasions, and never had a bad experience.
Granted that I contacted them about my phone, and not software, I think
you're being too harsh as the problem probably is with your OS. If it's
really pissing you off that much, you can always format.

--
Untitled
http://cellphoneforums.net

"Dale Walker" <dale@sorted.org> wrote in message
> I'm still having problems installing (or uninstalling) PC suite for
> the K700i so I thought it was time to email SE for their assistance.
>
> The message was...
>
> ----
> >I can't install or uninstall PC Suite without the process crashing at
> >the 'removing temporary files' section. OK, most of the applications
> >'seem' to be installed OK but I cannot get PC Sync to complete.
> >Ideally, I'd like the applications to work but failing that, I want
> >to remove *ALL* software and registry settings for PC Suite so please
> >can you send me details of how to do this.
> ----
>
> The reply I got 4-5 days later was..
>
> ----
> >Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.
> >
> >With regards to your enquiry, as this is not a known problem with the
> >PC Suite software, we suggest that you contact the support for your OS.
> >You will also have to contact them regarding making changes to the
> >registry.
> >We are sorry that we cannot be of more help at this stage, but please
> >do not hesitate to contact us again to troubleshoot the connection.
> ----
>
> So, it appears that no one at SE knows how to remove it's own software
> if something goes wrong. The fact that they suggested I call my OS's
> customer support to ask them how to uninstall *their* software (and
> registry entries) honestly shocked me.
>
> I'm definitely not going to but another SE product if customer support
> is as incompetent and indifferent as this.

> Dale Walker London Techno Events Saiko!
> dale@sorted.org london@sorted.org saiko@sorted.org
> London, UK london.sorted.org saiko.sorted.org

They clearly either don't know or don't want to know. To say "it's not a
known problem" is being a bit arrogant, there's always a first time.
But the main point is SE are the ONLY people who can probably tell you how
to completely uninstall, eg remove registry settings. The OS CS can't do
that.
It's that point that would really get my back up, they're just fobbing you
off. I'd get back to them and press them on that point. I've had problems
like this and got the info no problem from the s/w supplier.

Bob Coates
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 1:28:35 AM

In <1095884707.PjTgyHC2M8ULeZWKPeUMSw@teranews> on Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:28:34
+0100, "Bob Coates" <bob@g4dih.remove_to_reply.co.uk> wrote:

>> >Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.
>> >
>> >With regards to your enquiry, as this is not a known problem with the
>> >PC Suite software, we suggest that you contact the support for your OS.
>> >You will also have to contact them regarding making changes to the
>> >registry.
>> >We are sorry that we cannot be of more help at this stage, but please
>> >do not hesitate to contact us again to troubleshoot the connection.
>> ----
>>
>> So, it appears that no one at SE knows how to remove it's own software
>> if something goes wrong. The fact that they suggested I call my OS's
>> customer support to ask them how to uninstall *their* software (and
>> registry entries) honestly shocked me.
>>
>> I'm definitely not going to but another SE product if customer support
>> is as incompetent and indifferent as this.

>They clearly either don't know or don't want to know. To say "it's not a
>known problem" is being a bit arrogant, there's always a first time.

Of course, but it's only a statement of fact, and thus helpful, not arrogant.

>But the main point is SE are the ONLY people who can probably tell you how
>to completely uninstall, eg remove registry settings. The OS CS can't do
>that.

Actually it can, if you use the tools properly. You can use System Restore to
roll back any changes to the system (e.g., drivers); MSCONFIG to stop any
processes from loading; Windows Explorer to delete any SE directories; and
REGEDIT to delete any registry settings. Should take much less time and
effort than interacting with SE.

September 23, 2004 2:16:03 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:54:12 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

>>> ----
>>>
>>> So, it appears that no one at SE knows how to remove it's own software
>>> if something goes wrong. The fact that they suggested I call my OS's
>>> customer support to ask them how to uninstall *their* software (and
>>> registry entries) honestly shocked me.
>>>
>>> I'm definitely not going to but another SE product if customer support
>>> is as incompetent and indifferent as this.
>
>>They clearly either don't know or don't want to know. To say "it's not a
>>known problem" is being a bit arrogant, there's always a first time.
>
>Of course, but it's only a statement of fact, and thus helpful, not arrogant.
>
>>But the main point is SE are the ONLY people who can probably tell you how
>>to completely uninstall, eg remove registry settings. The OS CS can't do
>>that.
>
>Actually it can, if you use the tools properly. You can use System Restore to
>roll back any changes to the system (e.g., drivers);

System Restore did not fix the problem, even to the point of
uninstalling SP2 which was not a trivial process.

> MSCONFIG to stop any processes from loading;
> Windows Explorer to delete any SE directories; and

>REGEDIT to delete any registry settings.

Yes but which registry settings? It's fairly straightforward to find
anything obviously to do with SE and blitz it but more often than not
there's all sorts of third party stuff that may not be so obvious.
Also there may be changes to the values of other standard entries
elsewhere in the registry. Are you going to tell me these changes are
easy to find?

> Should take much less time and effort than interacting with SE.

Rather you than me. I've managed to completely screw up several
installations not knowing exactly what is safe to delete and what is
not.

Dale Walker London Techno Events Saiko!
dale@sorted.org london@sorted.org saiko@sorted.org
London, UK london.sorted.org saiko.sorted.org
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 2:46:55 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:50:10 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <n1i3l05f0oas9ujkhi0inpmc542hefvrvi@4ax.com> on Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:09:06
>+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:
>
>>I'm still having problems installing (or uninstalling) PC suite for
>>the K700i so I thought it was time to email SE for their assistance.
>>
>>The message was...
>>
>>----
>>>I can't install or uninstall PC Suite without the process crashing at
>>>the 'removing temporary files' section. OK, most of the applications
>>>'seem' to be installed OK but I cannot get PC Sync to complete.
>>>Ideally, I'd like the applications to work but failing that, I want
>>>to remove *ALL* software and registry settings for PC Suite so please
>>>can you send me details of how to do this.
>>----
>>
>>The reply I got 4-5 days later was..
>>
>>----
>>>Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.
>>>
>>>With regards to your enquiry, as this is not a known problem with the
>>>PC Suite software, we suggest that you contact the support for your OS.
>>>You will also have to contact them regarding making changes to the
>>>registry.
>>>We are sorry that we cannot be of more help at this stage, but please
>>>do not hesitate to contact us again to troubleshoot the connection.
>>----
>>
>>So, it appears that no one at SE knows how to remove it's own software
>>if something goes wrong. The fact that they suggested I call my OS's
>>customer support to ask them how to uninstall *their* software (and
>>registry entries) honestly shocked me.
>>
>>I'm definitely not going to but another SE product if customer support
>>is as incompetent and indifferent as this.
>

>What did you expect? You'd get much the same response from any other software
>vendor.

Er, no actually. Never. Even Logitech which was my previous worst
customer support site had the courtesy to ask me a few extra questions
about my setup, go down a few well trodden routes before finally
giving up on me. SE didn't even bother to do that.

>Your problem is probably being caused by something on your system (worm,
>virus, anti-virus, firewall, configuration) for which SE is not responsible.

It's fouling up their software so it should be their duty to at least
investigate, even if it isn't their fault.

Dale Walker London Techno Events Saiko!
dale@sorted.org london@sorted.org saiko@sorted.org
London, UK london.sorted.org saiko.sorted.org
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 2:48:52 AM

In <qdq3l09rnqqt6pmqfgqvuniuf3qlno0ofr@4ax.com> on Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:16:03
+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:54:12 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

>>>They clearly either don't know or don't want to know. To say "it's not a
>>>known problem" is being a bit arrogant, there's always a first time.
>>
>>Of course, but it's only a statement of fact, and thus helpful, not arrogant.
>>
>>>But the main point is SE are the ONLY people who can probably tell you how
>>>to completely uninstall, eg remove registry settings. The OS CS can't do
>>>that.
>>
>>Actually it can, if you use the tools properly. You can use System Restore to
>>roll back any changes to the system (e.g., drivers);
>
>System Restore did not fix the problem, even to the point of
>uninstalling SP2 which was not a trivial process.

What problem?

>> MSCONFIG to stop any processes from loading;
>> Windows Explorer to delete any SE directories; and
>
>>REGEDIT to delete any registry settings.
>
>Yes but which registry settings? It's fairly straightforward to find
>anything obviously to do with SE and blitz it but more often than not
>there's all sorts of third party stuff that may not be so obvious.
>Also there may be changes to the values of other standard entries
>elsewhere in the registry. Are you going to tell me these changes are
>easy to find?

I'm going to tell you that they really don't matter.

>> Should take much less time and effort than interacting with SE.
>
>Rather you than me. I've managed to completely screw up several
>installations not knowing exactly what is safe to delete and what is
>not.

When System Restore doesn't work, then you have serious problems unrelated to
SE. And why would you uninstall SP2?!

September 23, 2004 2:51:08 AM

In <psq3l0tsnl2s3rg1ghfcu5uiegg3bun02u@4ax.com> on Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:46:55
+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:50:10 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>>----
>>>
>>>So, it appears that no one at SE knows how to remove it's own software
>>>if something goes wrong. The fact that they suggested I call my OS's
>>>customer support to ask them how to uninstall *their* software (and
>>>registry entries) honestly shocked me.
>>>
>>>I'm definitely not going to but another SE product if customer support
>>>is as incompetent and indifferent as this.
>>

>>What did you expect? You'd get much the same response from any other software
>>vendor.
>
>Er, no actually. Never. Even Logitech which was my previous worst
>customer support site had the courtesy to ask me a few extra questions
>about my setup, go down a few well trodden routes before finally
>giving up on me. SE didn't even bother to do that.

I assure you that most software vendors aren't going to troubleshoot OS
problems.

>>Your problem is probably being caused by something on your system (worm,
>>virus, anti-virus, firewall, configuration) for which SE is not responsible.
>
>It's fouling up their software so it should be their duty to at least
>investigate, even if it isn't their fault.

I respectfully disagree. Since you say System Restore isn't working, then
you've obviously got serious problems unrelated to SE, although you haven't
been clear as to what those problems are.

September 23, 2004 4:11:27 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:48:52 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>What problem?
>
>>> MSCONFIG to stop any processes from loading;
>>> Windows Explorer to delete any SE directories; and
>>
>>>REGEDIT to delete any registry settings.
>>
>>Yes but which registry settings? It's fairly straightforward to find
>>anything obviously to do with SE and blitz it but more often than not
>>there's all sorts of third party stuff that may not be so obvious.
>>Also there may be changes to the values of other standard entries
>>elsewhere in the registry. Are you going to tell me these changes are
>>easy to find?
>
>I'm going to tell you that they really don't matter.
>
>>> Should take much less time and effort than interacting with SE.
>>
>>Rather you than me. I've managed to completely screw up several
>>installations not knowing exactly what is safe to delete and what is
>>not.
>
>When System Restore doesn't work, then you have serious problems unrelated to
>SE. And why would you uninstall SP2?!

Because that was previous system restore point.

Dale Walker London Techno Events Saiko!
dale@sorted.org london@sorted.org saiko@sorted.org
London, UK london.sorted.org saiko.sorted.org
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 4:12:35 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:51:08 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <psq3l0tsnl2s3rg1ghfcu5uiegg3bun02u@4ax.com> on Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:46:55
>+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:50:10 GMT, John Navas
>><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>>What did you expect? You'd get much the same response from any other software
>>>vendor.
>>
>>Er, no actually. Never. Even Logitech which was my previous worst
>>customer support site had the courtesy to ask me a few extra questions
>>about my setup, go down a few well trodden routes before finally
>>giving up on me. SE didn't even bother to do that.
>
>I assure you that most software vendors aren't going to troubleshoot OS
>problems.
>
>>>Your problem is probably being caused by something on your system (worm,
>>>virus, anti-virus, firewall, configuration) for which SE is not responsible.
>>
>>It's fouling up their software so it should be their duty to at least
>>investigate, even if it isn't their fault.
>
>I respectfully disagree. Since you say System Restore isn't working, then
>you've obviously got serious problems unrelated to SE, although you haven't
>been clear as to what those problems are.

I didn't say system restore isn't working, I said it didn't fix the
problem.

Dale Walker London Techno Events Saiko!
dale@sorted.org london@sorted.org saiko@sorted.org
London, UK london.sorted.org saiko.sorted.org
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 4:14:47 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:51:08 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>Er, no actually. Never. Even Logitech which was my previous worst
>>customer support site had the courtesy to ask me a few extra questions
>>about my setup, go down a few well trodden routes before finally
>>giving up on me. SE didn't even bother to do that.
>
>I assure you that most software vendors aren't going to troubleshoot OS
>problems.

Not even ones caused by their own applications?

Dale Walker London Techno Events Saiko!
dale@sorted.org london@sorted.org saiko@sorted.org
London, UK london.sorted.org saiko.sorted.org
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 6:11:40 AM

In <eq14l091r4pfi1rn7cs5hrqlg7u26o1tjf@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:14:47
+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:51:08 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>>Er, no actually. Never. Even Logitech which was my previous worst
>>>customer support site had the courtesy to ask me a few extra questions
>>>about my setup, go down a few well trodden routes before finally
>>>giving up on me. SE didn't even bother to do that.
>>
>>I assure you that most software vendors aren't going to troubleshoot OS
>>problems.
>
>Not even ones caused by their own applications?

What makes you think this was caused by SE? As I've written, it looks to me
like some other problem in your system.

September 23, 2004 6:47:32 AM

In <5i14l0tfler6hivqdpukb7n8on3ppa4g9u@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:11:27
+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:48:52 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>When System Restore doesn't work, then you have serious problems unrelated to
>>SE. And why would you uninstall SP2?!
>
>Because that was previous system restore point.

So you didn't set a Restore Point before installing? And you're blaming SE?

September 23, 2004 6:47:35 AM

In <pl14l09nrmq4mvthq461191m3qlrpcngm7@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:12:35
+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:51:08 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>I respectfully disagree. Since you say System Restore isn't working, then
>>you've obviously got serious problems unrelated to SE, although you haven't
>>been clear as to what those problems are.
>
>I didn't say system restore isn't working, I said it didn't fix the
>problem.

WHAT PROBLEM?

September 23, 2004 8:13:41 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 02:47:32 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <5i14l0tfler6hivqdpukb7n8on3ppa4g9u@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:11:27
>+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:48:52 GMT, John Navas
>><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>>When System Restore doesn't work, then you have serious problems unrelated to
>>>SE. And why would you uninstall SP2?!
>>
>>Because that was previous system restore point.
>
>So you didn't set a Restore Point before installing? And you're blaming SE?

Troll!!

Dale Walker London Techno Events Saiko!
dale@sorted.org london@sorted.org saiko@sorted.org
London, UK london.sorted.org saiko.sorted.org
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 8:44:43 AM

In <fof4l0dv23kd0sfq2u7fqu1fr95at72k9a@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 04:13:41
+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 02:47:32 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>In <5i14l0tfler6hivqdpukb7n8on3ppa4g9u@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:11:27
>>+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:

>>>Because that was previous system restore point.
>>
>>So you didn't set a Restore Point before installing? And you're blaming SE?
>
>Troll!!

Took the word right out of my mouth.

I'll do my best not to waste time trying to help you in the future.

September 23, 2004 9:45:11 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 02:47:32 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <5i14l0tfler6hivqdpukb7n8on3ppa4g9u@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:11:27
>+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:48:52 GMT, John Navas
>><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>>When System Restore doesn't work, then you have serious problems unrelated to
>>>SE. And why would you uninstall SP2?!
>>
>>Because that was previous system restore point.
>
>So you didn't set a Restore Point before installing?

Yes, I did. And one for SP2 too. The uninstall of SP2 *WAS* the system
restore of that. There was another system restore for the SE software
before that.

Dale Walker London Techno Events Saiko!
dale@sorted.org london@sorted.org saiko@sorted.org
London, UK london.sorted.org saiko.sorted.org
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 9:45:12 AM

In <81g4l05gpqbmrgoutc1fnv4qnubmgp7ttq@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:45:11
+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 02:47:32 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>In <5i14l0tfler6hivqdpukb7n8on3ppa4g9u@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:11:27
>>+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:

>>>Because that was previous system restore point.
>>
>>So you didn't set a Restore Point before installing?
>
>Yes, I did.

Then it can't be the fault of SE.

>And one for SP2 too. The uninstall of SP2 *WAS* the system
>restore of that. There was another system restore for the SE software
>before that.

Before SP2?! [sigh]

September 23, 2004 9:47:33 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 02:47:35 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <pl14l09nrmq4mvthq461191m3qlrpcngm7@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:12:35
>+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:51:08 GMT, John Navas
>><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>>I respectfully disagree. Since you say System Restore isn't working, then
>>>you've obviously got serious problems unrelated to SE, although you haven't
>>>been clear as to what those problems are.
>>
>>I didn't say system restore isn't working, I said it didn't fix the
>>problem.
>
>WHAT PROBLEM?

The problem of not being able to install or uninstall the PC Suite
software without it crashing at the 'Removing backup files' section of
the setup.

Lets do this slowly so you don't get confused.

0. Approx 4 weeks ago. Everything is working 100% fine, I have all the
latest anti-everything gizmos and my PC is a very happy bunny.

1. get new k700i. I attempt to install PC Suite but it fails at the
'removing temporary files' section of the setup. I quit the
installation and reboot. It seems most of the software has installed
properly but Outlook synchronization doesn't work.

2. "Ah, it must have been that error with the 'Removing backup files'
message. I'll try and uninstall".

3. I attempt to uninstall PC Suite but it fails at the 'removing
temporary files' section of the setup. I quit the installation and
reboot. It seems most of the software has been removed properly but
there are some things that can't be deleted. Things are still in the
registry that haven't been removed. Stuff still in 'Add Programs
section' of control panel so try and uninstall from there. No luck.
Gets stuck at 'removing temporary files' section.

4. Delete all superfluous guff in system and global temp files, clear
out any SE subdirs that will let me and get on with my life for a
while.

5. Install SP2. Works great. No errors, speeds up PC a little.

6. Make second attempt at installing PC Suite. same problem

7. Make second attempt at uninstalling PC Suite. same problem.

8. Decide that a system restore is in order so go back to (0)

9. Install SP2 again.

10 Do steps 6 & 7 again

11 Call SE customer support

12 Get fobbed off

13 Start this Usenet thread

Now.

Am I wrong in assuming it could be the SE software that's at fault
when...

a) everything was working fine before,
b) things started going wrong with during the install of the PC Suite
software
c) PC Suite was not working as advertised, probably due to the faulty
install
d) Nothing else seems to be affected by this problem.

The software is clearly not working. The reason for it not working may
or may not be the fault of SE but surely it's not unreasonable to ask
that SE makes some effort to find out why this has happened.

Dale Walker London Techno Events Saiko!
dale@sorted.org london@sorted.org saiko@sorted.org
London, UK london.sorted.org saiko.sorted.org
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 9:47:34 AM

In <oni4l0tjpj0gmo6gjmp3hks8abq001m8dp@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:47:33
+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 02:47:35 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>In <pl14l09nrmq4mvthq461191m3qlrpcngm7@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:12:35
>>+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:

>>>I didn't say system restore isn't working, I said it didn't fix the
>>>problem.
>>
>>WHAT PROBLEM?
>
>The problem of not being able to install or uninstall the PC Suite
>software without it crashing at the 'Removing backup files' section of
>the setup.

Which isn't really a problem, now is it?

>Lets do this slowly so you don't get confused.
>[SNIP]

Sorry, but with that kind of attitude, I'm not going to bother.

>Am I wrong in assuming it could be the SE software that's at fault

Yes. As I've explained.

>The software is clearly not working. The reason for it not working may
>or may not be the fault of SE but surely it's not unreasonable to ask
>that SE makes some effort to find out why this has happened.

I disagree.

September 23, 2004 11:49:24 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 04:44:43 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <fof4l0dv23kd0sfq2u7fqu1fr95at72k9a@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 04:13:41
>+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 02:47:32 GMT, John Navas
>><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>>So you didn't set a Restore Point before installing? And you're blaming SE?
>>
>>Troll!!
>
>Took the word right out of my mouth.
>
>I'll do my best not to waste time trying to help you in the future.

Thanks. That would help a lot.

Dale Walker London Techno Events Saiko!
dale@sorted.org london@sorted.org saiko@sorted.org
London, UK london.sorted.org saiko.sorted.org
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 11:50:09 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:01:54 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <81g4l05gpqbmrgoutc1fnv4qnubmgp7ttq@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:45:11
>+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 02:47:32 GMT, John Navas
>><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>>So you didn't set a Restore Point before installing?
>>
>>Yes, I did.
>
>Then it can't be the fault of SE.

Explain please?

>>And one for SP2 too. The uninstall of SP2 *WAS* the system
>>restore of that. There was another system restore for the SE software
>>before that.
>
>Before SP2?! [sigh]

Please re later post. It's all there.

Dale Walker London Techno Events Saiko!
dale@sorted.org london@sorted.org saiko@sorted.org
London, UK london.sorted.org saiko.sorted.org
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 11:53:59 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 02:11:40 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>>I assure you that most software vendors aren't going to troubleshoot OS
>>>problems.
>>
>>Not even ones caused by their own applications?
>
>What makes you think this was caused by SE? As I've written, it looks to me
>like some other problem in your system.

Could be a combination of errors - both SE and OS.

Try this:

Assuming you have sufficient HD space, make a temp dir and copy the
entire SE CD to the temp dir

Reboot in safe mode (F5) to rule out any interfereing drivers, TSRs or
other such gubbins

Try to install from Temp Dir and see what happens.

As a softwre deeloper myself I would try to find out what the problem
was in case others had similar problems and I could adapt my software
to cope.

Tym
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 11:55:42 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:04:32 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <oni4l0tjpj0gmo6gjmp3hks8abq001m8dp@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:47:33
>+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 02:47:35 GMT, John Navas
>><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>>WHAT PROBLEM?
>>
>>The problem of not being able to install or uninstall the PC Suite
>>software without it crashing at the 'Removing backup files' section of
>>the setup.
>
>Which isn't really a problem, now is it?
>
>>Lets do this slowly so you don't get confused.
>>[SNIP]
>
>Sorry, but with that kind of attitude, I'm not going to bother.
>
>>Am I wrong in assuming it could be the SE software that's at fault
>
>Yes. As I've explained.

You haven't explained anything. All you've said it has to be a problem
that's not of SE's making. I'm willing to consider any possibility but
as you have even less facts than me, how can you make such a bold
statement?

Anyway, it's obvious we're not going to get any further, so lets call
it a day eh.

Dale Walker London Techno Events Saiko!
dale@sorted.org london@sorted.org saiko@sorted.org
London, UK london.sorted.org saiko.sorted.org
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 1:58:40 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:23:11 +0100, "root" <aetos@despammed.com>
wrote:

>I'm having serious problems with my MSI BToes Bluetooth dongle too, having
>installed SP2 on my WinXP laptop.
>Problem is, I can't remove SP2 for work purposes! Doh!

My Belkin continued to work fine after installing SP2

However, got a new dongle and removed belkin and tried (4 hours worth)
to install the Widcomm drivers - no bloody chance!

removed SP2 and fine

Maybe you could remove SP2 - install BT then put SP2 back...???
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 2:20:39 PM

In <ves4l0h8q43leq5641ladkg8unh4fdrgt3@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:49:24
+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 04:44:43 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>I'll do my best not to waste time trying to help you in the future.
>
>Thanks. ...

You're welcome.

September 23, 2004 2:21:29 PM

In <2gs4l0luk230rdnb866nlp2u97fdqfelql@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:50:09
+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:

>>>Yes, I did.
>>
>>Then it can't be the fault of SE.
>
>Explain please?

System Restore is part of the OS, not SE software.

September 23, 2004 2:24:15 PM

In <j8s4l0ldaqhhomu16723d7vi1sbpt7vtc6@4ax.com> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:55:42
+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:04:32 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>Yes. As I've explained.
>
>You haven't explained anything.

Actually I have.

>All you've said it has to be a problem
>that's not of SE's making. I'm willing to consider any possibility but
>as you have even less facts than me, how can you make such a bold
>statement?

Your problems are clearly OS problems, not SE software problems.

>Anyway, it's obvious we're not going to get any further, so lets call
>it a day eh.

Suit yourself.

September 23, 2004 2:26:03 PM

In <41528082.42931578@169.100.100.5> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:53:59 GMT,
no_user@ictis.net (Tym) wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 02:11:40 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>What makes you think this was caused by SE? As I've written, it looks to me
>>like some other problem in your system.
>
>Could be a combination of errors - both SE and OS.
>As a softwre deeloper myself I would try to find out what the problem
>was in case others had similar problems and I could adapt my software
>to cope.

Software developers simply can't afford to chase every system problem.

September 23, 2004 5:19:26 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:22:30 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>Widcomm drivers working fine here with SP2.

Bugger!
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 5:20:50 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:26:03 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>Software developers simply can't afford to chase every system problem.

Reputable ones try their best... good service to the customer.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 5:23:00 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:24:15 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>All you've said it has to be a problem
>>that's not of SE's making. I'm willing to consider any possibility but
>>as you have even less facts than me, how can you make such a bold
>>statement?
>
>Your problems are clearly OS problems, not SE software problems.

And you know this because you've looked at his PC and diagnosed this?

No - you're talking out of your hat becuase you've decided that he's
wrong!

I'm sorry, but you're in no position to state the above AS A FACT as
you've not been involved directly with the problem, just sat thre
passing comments on the OPs mail.

Just drop it for crying out loud!!
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 12:32:44 AM

In <4152cd54.62598000@169.100.100.5> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:19:26 GMT,
no_user@ictis.net (Tym) wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:22:30 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>Widcomm drivers working fine here with SP2.
>
>Bugger!

Perhaps this will help: <http://www.jonsguides.com/bluetooth/&gt;

September 24, 2004 12:32:49 AM

In <4152cdc2.62707406@169.100.100.5> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:23:00 GMT,
no_user@ictis.net (Tym) wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:24:15 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>>All you've said it has to be a problem
>>>that's not of SE's making. I'm willing to consider any possibility but
>>>as you have even less facts than me, how can you make such a bold
>>>statement?
>>
>>Your problems are clearly OS problems, not SE software problems.
>
>And you know this because you've looked at his PC and diagnosed this?

I know this from the symptoms described.

>I'm sorry, but you're in no position to state the above AS A FACT ...

I stating it as a conclusion based on the available evidence.

September 24, 2004 12:33:00 AM

In <4152cd83.62645265@169.100.100.5> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:20:50 GMT,
no_user@ictis.net (Tym) wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:26:03 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>Software developers simply can't afford to chase every system problem.
>
>Reputable ones try their best... good service to the customer.

To debug Windows System Restore problems? Don't think so.

September 24, 2004 12:38:53 AM

Dale Walker wrote:
> I'm still having problems installing (or uninstalling) PC suite for
> the K700i so I thought it was time to email SE for their assistance.

SE's Windows software has always been problematic. It grabs Windows by
the neck and starts squeezing. When you try to release the grip, its
fingers hang in after you have removed the arms...

The fact that you may need to reboot your computer after installing or
removing phone-support software should make anyone suspicious.

This goes back to the Ericsson heritage. I have noticed this on
Win98SE, Win2k and XP (bare, SP1 and SP2).

If Windows software is what you need, Nokia is a good bet. For phones,
though, I prefer SE.
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 12:38:54 AM

In <IOE4d.8770$WW4.135574@news4.e.nsc.no> on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:38:53 +0200,
fm <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Dale Walker wrote:

>> I'm still having problems installing (or uninstalling) PC suite for
>> the K700i so I thought it was time to email SE for their assistance.
>>
>SE's Windows software has always been problematic. It grabs Windows by
>the neck and starts squeezing. When you try to release the grip, its
>fingers hang in after you have removed the arms...

Works fine here.

>The fact that you may need to reboot your computer after installing or
>removing phone-support software should make anyone suspicious.

That's a Windows issue, and just reflects the fact that SE is more than just
an application.

>This goes back to the Ericsson heritage. I have noticed this on
>Win98SE, Win2k and XP (bare, SP1 and SP2).
>
>If Windows software is what you need, Nokia is a good bet. For phones,
>though, I prefer SE.

floAt's Mobile Agent <http://fma.sourceforge.net&gt; is very good free software
for SE phones.

September 24, 2004 2:36:41 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

Paul Carr <pjcarrMungeD@eircom.net> wrote:
[...]
> It's like the tedious people who gurn about not snipping. When many
> (most?) people have broadband, it doesn't really matter.

The bandwidth usage is very much a secondary consideration, although
hardly something that "doesn't really matter". people not trimming
posts is one has to wade through page upon page of irrelevant quoted
material to find what the poster has to say.

Top-quoting doesn't help, because scrolling through the post is still
required to determine whether or not it's an interleaved post that
happens to have some header material.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse@mooli.org.uk for full key
September 24, 2004 7:02:21 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

The answer to your question in short, there are just too many variables,
what works on one PC may not simply work on another, the same for people
who need to take medication, what works for one, may not be suitable for
others.

You may have better results looking in here,
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=77d3568a...

If your question has not aleady been asked, join up and ask, it's free,
and no, I am not affiliated with this group in any way.

Good Luck

| The software is clearly not working. The reason for it not working may
| or may not be the fault of SE but surely it's not unreasonable to ask
| that SE makes some effort to find out why this has happened.
|
| -------------------------------------------------------------
| Dale Walker London Techno Events Saiko!
| dale@sorted.org london@sorted.org saiko@sorted.org
| London, UK london.sorted.org saiko.sorted.org
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 7:02:22 PM

In <4153aa5c$0$2409$61ce578d@news.syd.swiftdsl.com.au> on Fri, 24 Sep 2004
15:02:21 +1000, "streetwise" <@> wrote:

>You may have better results looking in here,
>http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=77d3568a...
>
>If your question has not aleady been asked, join up and ask, it's free,
>and no, I am not affiliated with this group in any way.

I advise against web forums in general because they Balkanize information and
prevent the use of powerful universal search tools (Google).

September 24, 2004 11:33:39 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:28:34 +0100, "Bob Coates"
<bob@g4dih.remove_to_reply.co.uk> wrote:

>"Dale Walker" <dale@sorted.org> wrote in message
>> I'm still having problems installing (or uninstalling) PC suite for
>> the K700i so I thought it was time to email SE for their assistance.
>>
>> The message was...
>>
>> ----
>> >I can't install or uninstall PC Suite without the process crashing at
>> >the 'removing temporary files' section. OK, most of the applications
>> >'seem' to be installed OK but I cannot get PC Sync to complete.
>> >Ideally, I'd like the applications to work but failing that, I want
>> >to remove *ALL* software and registry settings for PC Suite so please
>> >can you send me details of how to do this.
>> ----
>>
>> The reply I got 4-5 days later was..
>>
>> ----
>> >Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.
>> >
>> >With regards to your enquiry, as this is not a known problem with the
>> >PC Suite software, we suggest that you contact the support for your OS.
>> >You will also have to contact them regarding making changes to the
>> >registry.
>> >We are sorry that we cannot be of more help at this stage, but please
>> >do not hesitate to contact us again to troubleshoot the connection.
>> ----
>>
>> So, it appears that no one at SE knows how to remove it's own software
>> if something goes wrong. The fact that they suggested I call my OS's
>> customer support to ask them how to uninstall *their* software (and
>> registry entries) honestly shocked me.
>>
>> I'm definitely not going to but another SE product if customer support
>> is as incompetent and indifferent as this.

>> Dale Walker London Techno Events Saiko!
>> dale@sorted.org london@sorted.org saiko@sorted.org
>> London, UK london.sorted.org saiko.sorted.org
>
>They clearly either don't know or don't want to know. To say "it's not a
>known problem" is being a bit arrogant, there's always a first time.
>But the main point is SE are the ONLY people who can probably tell you how
>to completely uninstall, eg remove registry settings. The OS CS can't do
>that.
>It's that point that would really get my back up, they're just fobbing you
>off. I'd get back to them and press them on that point. I've had problems
>like this and got the info no problem from the s/w supplier.

I did that and got fobbed off again.

SE----
>With regards to your enquiry, if you cannot remove software from your PC
>you need to contact someone who supports your PC. Sony Ericsson supports
>your mobile phone and can assist you in connecting your phone and PC.
>Yes, we provide software for your PC, but this software has been tested
>extensively by its designers, and also used frequently by us, and
>obviously by thousands of other customers. It works fine on a clean PC,
>so if it is failing to uninstall correctly on your PC, we can only assume
>that is an issue with your computer, and as we do not manufacture or support
>your PC or operating system you must contact those who do.
------

Amazing how they can suggest that my PC manufacturer or OS Supplier
can tell me how to identify and remove their piece of software.

Also extremely arrogant to suggest its their software is faultless in
all cases.

Anyway, I decided to phone SE CS. With my calmest voice, I explained
the problem (not the saga with email CS). Got a very friendly and
attentative guy who went through a view obvious hoops, suggested a few
less bog standard ideas but admitted he didn't have any details of the
registry settings.

One thing he did say though that there WERE some 'issues' with SP2 and
that it's far better to install the SE software after SP2 and not
before.

Not only was the guy courteous, he was helpful, didn't try to pin the
blame the problem on anyone else. OK, we didn't sort the problem out
but at least he tried.

Not sure if he did enough to restore my faith in Sony Ericsson and I
doubt I'll ever buy another SE product again but at least it's
prevented me from throwing my current phone at the wall.

In any case, the lesson I've learnt is to steer well clear of Sony
Ericsson's email 'Customer Support' if you want ANY real customer
support. Use their phone service instead.

Dale Walker London Techno Events Saiko!
dale@sorted.org london@sorted.org saiko@sorted.org
London, UK london.sorted.org saiko.sorted.org
September 25, 2004 3:49:52 AM

> I advise against web forums in general because they Balkanize information
and
> prevent the use of powerful universal search tools (Google).

Oh, that's a good one. Without these forums - Google takes you where?
To a sponsored Sony Ericsson site, with a usermanual?
I'm sure you're a smart man John, but this argument is nonsense.
September 26, 2004 5:50:42 PM

news:p sq3l0tsnl2s3rg1ghfcu5uiegg3bun02u@4ax.com...

| It's fouling up their software so it should be their duty to at least
| investigate, even if it isn't their fault.

Why should they, it's like getting a bad tank of fuel in your car, and then
blaming it on the manufacturer !

Have you at least tried the public forums?, (regardless of other peoples
opinions in here) they can be extremely helpful with this kind of thing,
or are you just too lazy to research it yourself?
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 6:51:43 PM

In <ptn8l09saa1qldlar61v7dih4442216roe@4ax.com> on Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:33:39
+0100, Dale Walker <dale@sorted.org> wrote:

>Amazing how they can suggest that my PC manufacturer or OS Supplier
>can tell me how to identify and remove their piece of software.

Not really -- the OS (e.g., System Restore) is designed to do that.

>Also extremely arrogant to suggest its their software is faultless in
>all cases.

With all due respect, I doubt that any such suggestion was actually made.
The likely issue in your case is that the source of the problem doesn't seem
to be SE; e.g., when System Restore doesn't work, that's almost certainly not
the fault of SE.

>... but admitted he didn't have any details of the
>registry settings.

Why is that such a concern? Unless there is something specific like a device
driver issue, unused Registry settings shouldn't have any real impact on you.
Many software vendors leave them in place after uninstall in order to
facilitate possible future reinstallation.

>One thing he did say though that there WERE some 'issues' with SP2 and
>that it's far better to install the SE software after SP2 and not
>before.

I'm skeptical -- that sounds like anecdotal advice to me -- I've seen no
evidence of any such problems with SE software.

>Not only was the guy courteous, he was helpful, didn't try to pin the
>blame the problem on anyone else. OK, we didn't sort the problem out
>but at least he tried.

Again, what actual problem would that be? Is SE software actually affecting
the normal operation of your computer adversely, or is this just an issue of
wanting to tidy up?

>Not sure if he did enough to restore my faith in Sony Ericsson and I
>doubt I'll ever buy another SE product again

What makes you think any other manf would be any better in similar
circumstances?

>but at least it's
>prevented me from throwing my current phone at the wall.

Now that would have been effective! ;)

>In any case, the lesson I've learnt is to steer well clear of Sony
>Ericsson's email 'Customer Support' if you want ANY real customer
>support. Use their phone service instead.

Of course -- that's true of almost any software vendor.

September 26, 2004 6:51:48 PM

In <415495e0$0$36861$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl> on Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:49:52
+0200, "Nuke" <Nuke_remove@Soon.com> wrote:

>> I advise against web forums in general because they Balkanize information and
>> prevent the use of powerful universal search tools (Google).
>
>Oh, that's a good one. Without these forums - Google takes you where?
>To a sponsored Sony Ericsson site, with a usermanual?
>I'm sure you're a smart man John, but this argument is nonsense.

I suggest you try it rather than just rudely dismissing it out of hand.
Google gives you efficient access not only to the wealth of information on the
Web, but also to massive Usenet archives (Google Groups). In most cases it's
far more effective and efficient than using web forums.