Others in house can connect to Wireless Network, but I cannot

Sketchit

Honorable
May 9, 2012
My Wireless adapter is a TP-Link TL-WN722N

Okay, so here is the deal, we have a wireless router that has an additional access point off to another part of the house. Here is my problem:

I can only see the main wireless network, the one that is further away, it cannot locate the access point that is nearby.

I thought at first that is might be because the wireless network is Wireless-G, but Ipads and Smartphones can connect to it just fine with full bars across the board. I can only connect with at most 1 bar, disconnecting very often.

I thought that it might be that I have a crappy adapter, but upon using it at another house with the same computer, I was able to connect with 4 bars. The difference here is that they have a Wireless N Router with no access points.

I'm simply puzzled by what could be the problem. The network and access point in question is one that is connected to a Hidden SSID. Any help to this mystery would be great. I've tried tons of things but I feel like I've hit a dead end.

RealBeast

Titan
Don't hide the SSID, it is really not a significant security move and will just cause you problems.

Use the same SSID and security passphrase on the AP as on the router, make sure that the AP has a reserved dynamic OR static address that is outside of the router DHCP assignment range but still in the network, use different radio channels (for G using 1, 6, and 11 as they don't overlap).

If you are using Windows 7 select to automatically connect to the AP.