Sign in with
Your question

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or Game Theater XP?

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
May 22, 2002 8:11:16 PM

I am trying to decide between these two cards, and I'm using a Via chipset so no Audigy for me. My speakers are Klipsch ProMedia 5.1, and I use my computer for games, movies, and music. Which do all of you think would sound better? I also want my games to have good audio positioning...THANKS!
May 22, 2002 9:18:11 PM

They're basically identicle in every way.

They're also completely different-)

The only thing you gotta decide is if you want the breakout box or not. Thats the only real difference between teh two. They use the SAME chipset etc. They'll both sound the same and perform the same and use essentially the same drivers.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
Anonymous
May 22, 2002 9:36:57 PM

I love that breakout box :)  The only concern i have is reviews say that for games you can only play in 4.1 mode, and that for movies it's "virtual" 5.1 mode...any idea what this is about?
Related resources
May 22, 2002 9:44:07 PM

The origional GTXP didnt support 5.1 gaming. The new version they are calling the GTXP 6.1 does support full 5.1 sound. With a Klipsh 5.1 speaker set you'd do wonderful with a GTXP 6.1 My CompUSA had that setup here last week, was incredible, absolutly stunning sound quality combinging Klipsh 5.1 with GTXP 6.1.

Now, if only they'd play some decent music at compusa instead of rap...had to take in my own CD to figure out what music actually sounded like on it, the tech about died when i put a Tim Janis cd...what is it with people today?

edit: FatBurger said something about it being a driver issue...that they didnt actualy change the new card...i have no idea, all i know is the GTXP 6.1 works...very very well.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 05/22/02 05:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
May 22, 2002 9:48:26 PM

Ah, OK. Thanks a bunch :)  And the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 speakers sound sweet even with a crappy little Sound Blaster Live! Value...can't wait to see what they're like with a good card. So you're certain that the GT XP 6.1 can provide full 5.1 support for everything?
May 22, 2002 10:38:32 PM

Quote:
edit: FatBurger said something about it being a driver issue...that they didnt actualy change the new card...i have no idea, all i know is the GTXP 6.1 works...very very well.

The reason I've mentioned this is that shortly after I got mine (a few months back now), Hercules released "virtual 6.1" drivers for the GTXP. I've tried to get my hands on the drivers that come with the 6.1 version they sell now, but no luck (haven't looked very hard, though).

Unless it's a difference DSP, I can't see any possibility that they're different cards.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
May 24, 2002 3:18:36 PM

doh, forgot to put em up. I'll try to remember to do this when i get home today and post the link. No idea how long earthlink will let everyone grab them for though before they lock out my site for excessive bandwidth use-)

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
May 24, 2002 4:45:27 PM

would the 6.1 driver then also work on my TB SC ?? assuming the same chipset and all ..

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>
May 24, 2002 6:01:28 PM

Same DSP, but everything else is different. It'd be like flashing a BIOS from two different motherboards, if that makes sense. It wouldn't work.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
May 28, 2002 1:47:24 PM

Unfortunately, i've had no success getting these drivers to work after pulling em off the cd yet. I think its my old cd/dvd drive's fault actually but oh well. CD actually has copy protection...a driver cd...what next...

!