Suggest a decent stand alone amp for a sub

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
April 9, 2005 4:21:31 PM

I was given an subwoofer, it needs between 100 and 250 watts to run
according to the manufacturer.

Since I'll be running it from the Surround Sound receiver via the sub
out, it'll need an amp to power it directly.

Is there any capacity subs need in an amp to look out for?

tia,
TBerk
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 4:21:32 PM

Low frequency response obviously. This is an application where a big
old Crown or QSC probably would do okay.
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 8:09:39 PM

T Apr 9, 5:21 am Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 12:21:31 GMT
Subject: Suggest a decent stand alone amp for a sub

I was given an subwoofer, it needs between 100 and 250 watts to run
according to the manufacturer.

Since I'll be running it from the Surround Sound receiver via the sub
out, it'll need an amp to power it directly.

Is there any capacity subs need in an amp to look out for?

tia,

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Power-Amps--2747

You will notice many of the amps listed have low pass filters at 50 and
30 Hz. Get that you can bridge
to mono and have anywhere from 500 to 2400 watts.
If you don't want a fan the Alesis RA500 will do nicely.
April 15, 2005 10:40:40 PM

"T" <tberk@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> I was given an subwoofer, it needs between 100 and 250 watts to run
> according to the manufacturer.
>
> Since I'll be running it from the Surround Sound receiver via the
> sub out, it'll need an amp to power it directly.
>
> Is there any capacity subs need in an amp to look out for?
>

> tia,
> TBerk

Seems that I keep promoting PartsExpress here! I have two from them.
You'll likely need 100 watts or more. IMHO, only use linear class AB
amps, not class D switchers. I have no commercial connection to
PartsExpress.
Cheers,
Roger
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 6:12:28 PM

As far as built in plate amps, I think you need to be aware of what's
avaliable here:
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/nonservo_product.htm

At least as good as anything from Parts Express and with more options.
Also having purchased one of the Hypex amps from Adire Audio, I can
testify that their products are also well worth the.

If it were me having to make the choice, I'd opt for one of the pro
amps with a built in crossover, set it for 50 Hz, but I would also make
sure to include the Parametric EQ.
!