t630 memory leak

Last response: in Brands
Share
September 28, 2004 4:15:16 PM

Hi everybody.

I have just bought myself a SonyEricsson T630. I am perfectly satisfied with
it, although 2Mb memory is disgustingly low for a mobile of that price.

But it seems something fishy is afoot in this mobile. When I put a picture
of 32Kb size on the mob, it is somehow proclaimed to be of size 62Kb!
Moreover, my pictures folder downloaded on my comp is 243Kb long. However,
on my mobile the memory status proclaims it to be a whopping 964Kb!!

I can live with 2Mb of memory, but this way it seems I have less then 1Mb
available! Can somebody point me to what is the problem here?

Thanks. Cheers!

More about : t630 memory leak

September 28, 2004 5:20:55 PM

"baba" <baba44713REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi everybody.
>
> I have just bought myself a SonyEricsson T630. I am perfectly satisfied
> with
> it, although 2Mb memory is disgustingly low for a mobile of that price.
>
> But it seems something fishy is afoot in this mobile. When I put a picture
> of 32Kb size on the mob, it is somehow proclaimed to be of size 62Kb!
> Moreover, my pictures folder downloaded on my comp is 243Kb long. However,
> on my mobile the memory status proclaims it to be a whopping 964Kb!!
>
> I can live with 2Mb of memory, but this way it seems I have less then 1Mb
> available! Can somebody point me to what is the problem here?
>
> Thanks. Cheers!

I'll try and see if this is the case for me when my infrared cables arrives
before this weekend!
September 29, 2004 1:57:42 PM

Just to point out before somebody else does, all the units in my post are
BYTES not bits (Mb=MB). Apologies to the geeks who freak out at the sight of
this :)  .

However the problem still remains...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 29, 2004 3:25:30 PM

> Just to point out before somebody else does, all the units in my post are
> BYTES not bits (Mb=MB). Apologies to the geeks who freak out at the sight
> of
> this :)  .
>
> However the problem still remains...

If they are true geeks they would know that 2Mb (250KB) is just too small
for a multimedia phone! :)
September 29, 2004 3:27:01 PM

"baba" <baba44713REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message

My cable still not here yet :(

Just curious...do you know if the T630 support downloading your own midi
files from your PC? thanks :)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 29, 2004 11:58:17 PM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <cjbdk1$jkr$1@bagan.srce.hr> on Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:15:16 +0200, "baba"
<baba44713REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have just bought myself a SonyEricsson T630. I am perfectly satisfied with
>it, although 2Mb memory is disgustingly low for a mobile of that price.

I'd say that's a bit of an exaggeration, and if it's so bad, why did you buy
the phone?

>But it seems something fishy is afoot in this mobile. When I put a picture
>of 32Kb size on the mob, it is somehow proclaimed to be of size 62Kb!
>Moreover, my pictures folder downloaded on my comp is 243Kb long. However,
>on my mobile the memory status proclaims it to be a whopping 964Kb!!
>
>I can live with 2Mb of memory, but this way it seems I have less then 1Mb
>available! Can somebody point me to what is the problem here?

I believe the basic difference is that pictures are prepared for display (and
thus decompressed) before storage.

September 30, 2004 3:42:26 AM

> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <cjbdk1$jkr$1@bagan.srce.hr> on Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:15:16 +0200, "baba"
> <baba44713REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I have just bought myself a SonyEricsson T630. I am perfectly satisfied
>>with
>>it, although 2Mb memory is disgustingly low for a mobile of that price.

It should have memory card support like the more expensive phones. That
would be very handy - or even mp3 support :)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 30, 2004 3:42:27 AM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <3YidnQ3GiOXQp8bcRVn-oA@eclipse.net.uk> on Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:42:26 +0100,
"888" <UAC@marstation.mars.com> wrote:

>> In <cjbdk1$jkr$1@bagan.srce.hr> on Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:15:16 +0200, "baba"
>> <baba44713REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have just bought myself a SonyEricsson T630. I am perfectly satisfied
>>>with
>>>it, although 2Mb memory is disgustingly low for a mobile of that price.
>
>It should have memory card support like the more expensive phones. That
>would be very handy - or even mp3 support :)

But then it would cost like the more expensive phones, instead of being a
relative bargain. TANSTAAFL.

September 30, 2004 2:32:29 PM

I didn't buy it, I switched it for Siemens ST55 which I got for a present,
and which is a mobile of such terrible quality that I still avoid going into
closer vincinity of anything containing Siemens logo (in one year it was 3
times on repair, it locked up about twice a day, it blocked all
incoming/outgoing calls every now and then for no reason at all untill you
turn it off and on so I picked up a habit of calling my flat every thirty
minutes to see if it works at all, the interface was so slow sometimes you
waited 10 seconds to access the phonebook, etc.etc.). The joke is that the
guy I switched with felt he got a good deal (I told him about this stuff,
but he said that he could live with a few "quirks". Fair enough)

I think T630 is a great phone, and I felt that 2MB was enough, but I thought
that meant 2MB of FREE memory. In reality you have just about 600kB to play
around with, since the software takes up half of with and with the rest it
needs loads of free memory for cache (especially if you want to run a Java
game). Also the problem is that the application size is all wrong (which I
stated before) and for instance a MIDI melody which is 10kB on my comp
sometimes takes 20kB on my mobile, the reason still unknown.

Btw does anybody know how to erase the pre-existing things on a mobile? The
themes take up 120kB and VRally2 (which I got with all the expansion packs)
takes up 150kB and I'd really like to get rid of them... (this feels like
old days with DOS and 640kB of memory which was never enough so you had to
work miracles with AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS... aah, sweet nostalgia).

Cheers!

> I'd say that's a bit of an exaggeration, and if it's so bad, why did you
buy
> the phone?>
October 2, 2004 1:14:31 AM

"baba" <baba44713REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi everybody.
>
> I have just bought myself a SonyEricsson T630. I am perfectly satisfied
> with
> it, although 2Mb memory is disgustingly low for a mobile of that price.
>
> But it seems something fishy is afoot in this mobile. When I put a picture
> of 32Kb size on the mob, it is somehow proclaimed to be of size 62Kb!
> Moreover, my pictures folder downloaded on my comp is 243Kb long. However,
> on my mobile the memory status proclaims it to be a whopping 964Kb!!
>
> I can live with 2Mb of memory, but this way it seems I have less then 1Mb
> available! Can somebody point me to what is the problem here?
>
> Thanks. Cheers!

Got my cable.

The memory size of the files sometimes changes when uplaoded to the
phone...I think it is stored under a different compression format iwthin
the phone...but that's just a guess.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 2, 2004 9:12:01 AM

"888" <UAC@marstation.mars.com> wrote in message news:<3YidnQ3GiOXQp8bcRVn-oA@eclipse.net.uk>...
> "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
> >
> > In <cjbdk1$jkr$1@bagan.srce.hr> on Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:15:16 +0200, "baba"
> > <baba44713REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I have just bought myself a SonyEricsson T630. I am perfectly satisfied
> >>with
> >>it, although 2Mb memory is disgustingly low for a mobile of that price.

> It should have memory card support like the more expensive phones. That
> would be very handy - or even mp3 support :)

Er, just how new do you think this phone is? It's a facelift for a
phone that came out in 2002 and is now very cheap. Bit like wondering
why a 1969 Cortina doesn't have airbags.
!