t630 memory leak

Hi everybody.

I have just bought myself a SonyEricsson T630. I am perfectly satisfied with
it, although 2Mb memory is disgustingly low for a mobile of that price.

But it seems something fishy is afoot in this mobile. When I put a picture
of 32Kb size on the mob, it is somehow proclaimed to be of size 62Kb!
Moreover, my pictures folder downloaded on my comp is 243Kb long. However,
on my mobile the memory status proclaims it to be a whopping 964Kb!!

I can live with 2Mb of memory, but this way it seems I have less then 1Mb
available! Can somebody point me to what is the problem here?

Thanks. Cheers!
10 answers Last reply
More about t630 memory leak

    "baba" <baba44713REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everybody.
    >
    > I have just bought myself a SonyEricsson T630. I am perfectly satisfied
    > with
    > it, although 2Mb memory is disgustingly low for a mobile of that price.
    >
    > But it seems something fishy is afoot in this mobile. When I put a picture
    > of 32Kb size on the mob, it is somehow proclaimed to be of size 62Kb!
    > Moreover, my pictures folder downloaded on my comp is 243Kb long. However,
    > on my mobile the memory status proclaims it to be a whopping 964Kb!!
    >
    > I can live with 2Mb of memory, but this way it seems I have less then 1Mb
    > available! Can somebody point me to what is the problem here?
    >
    > Thanks. Cheers!

    I'll try and see if this is the case for me when my infrared cables arrives
    before this weekend!

    Just to point out before somebody else does, all the units in my post are
    BYTES not bits (Mb=MB). Apologies to the geeks who freak out at the sight of
    this :) .

    However the problem still remains...

    > Just to point out before somebody else does, all the units in my post are
    > BYTES not bits (Mb=MB). Apologies to the geeks who freak out at the sight
    > of
    > this :) .
    >
    > However the problem still remains...

    If they are true geeks they would know that 2Mb (250KB) is just too small
    for a multimedia phone! :)

    "baba" <baba44713REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    My cable still not here yet :(

    Just curious...do you know if the T630 support downloading your own midi
    files from your PC? thanks :)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <cjbdk1$jkr$1@bagan.srce.hr> on Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:15:16 +0200, "baba"
    <baba44713REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I have just bought myself a SonyEricsson T630. I am perfectly satisfied with
    >it, although 2Mb memory is disgustingly low for a mobile of that price.

    I'd say that's a bit of an exaggeration, and if it's so bad, why did you buy
    the phone?

    >But it seems something fishy is afoot in this mobile. When I put a picture
    >of 32Kb size on the mob, it is somehow proclaimed to be of size 62Kb!
    >Moreover, my pictures folder downloaded on my comp is 243Kb long. However,
    >on my mobile the memory status proclaims it to be a whopping 964Kb!!
    >
    >I can live with 2Mb of memory, but this way it seems I have less then 1Mb
    >available! Can somebody point me to what is the problem here?

    I believe the basic difference is that pictures are prepared for display (and
    thus decompressed) before storage.

    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <cjbdk1$jkr$1@bagan.srce.hr> on Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:15:16 +0200, "baba"
    > <baba44713REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I have just bought myself a SonyEricsson T630. I am perfectly satisfied
    >>with
    >>it, although 2Mb memory is disgustingly low for a mobile of that price.

    It should have memory card support like the more expensive phones. That
    would be very handy - or even mp3 support :)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <3YidnQ3GiOXQp8bcRVn-oA@eclipse.net.uk> on Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:42:26 +0100,
    "888" <UAC@marstation.mars.com> wrote:

    >> In <cjbdk1$jkr$1@bagan.srce.hr> on Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:15:16 +0200, "baba"
    >> <baba44713REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have just bought myself a SonyEricsson T630. I am perfectly satisfied
    >>>with
    >>>it, although 2Mb memory is disgustingly low for a mobile of that price.
    >
    >It should have memory card support like the more expensive phones. That
    >would be very handy - or even mp3 support :)

    But then it would cost like the more expensive phones, instead of being a
    relative bargain. TANSTAAFL.

    I didn't buy it, I switched it for Siemens ST55 which I got for a present,
    and which is a mobile of such terrible quality that I still avoid going into
    closer vincinity of anything containing Siemens logo (in one year it was 3
    times on repair, it locked up about twice a day, it blocked all
    incoming/outgoing calls every now and then for no reason at all untill you
    turn it off and on so I picked up a habit of calling my flat every thirty
    minutes to see if it works at all, the interface was so slow sometimes you
    waited 10 seconds to access the phonebook, etc.etc.). The joke is that the
    guy I switched with felt he got a good deal (I told him about this stuff,
    but he said that he could live with a few "quirks". Fair enough)

    I think T630 is a great phone, and I felt that 2MB was enough, but I thought
    that meant 2MB of FREE memory. In reality you have just about 600kB to play
    around with, since the software takes up half of with and with the rest it
    needs loads of free memory for cache (especially if you want to run a Java
    game). Also the problem is that the application size is all wrong (which I
    stated before) and for instance a MIDI melody which is 10kB on my comp
    sometimes takes 20kB on my mobile, the reason still unknown.

    Btw does anybody know how to erase the pre-existing things on a mobile? The
    themes take up 120kB and VRally2 (which I got with all the expansion packs)
    takes up 150kB and I'd really like to get rid of them... (this feels like
    old days with DOS and 640kB of memory which was never enough so you had to
    work miracles with AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS... aah, sweet nostalgia).

    Cheers!

    > I'd say that's a bit of an exaggeration, and if it's so bad, why did you
    buy
    > the phone?>

    "baba" <baba44713REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everybody.
    >
    > I have just bought myself a SonyEricsson T630. I am perfectly satisfied
    > with
    > it, although 2Mb memory is disgustingly low for a mobile of that price.
    >
    > But it seems something fishy is afoot in this mobile. When I put a picture
    > of 32Kb size on the mob, it is somehow proclaimed to be of size 62Kb!
    > Moreover, my pictures folder downloaded on my comp is 243Kb long. However,
    > on my mobile the memory status proclaims it to be a whopping 964Kb!!
    >
    > I can live with 2Mb of memory, but this way it seems I have less then 1Mb
    > available! Can somebody point me to what is the problem here?
    >
    > Thanks. Cheers!

    Got my cable.

    The memory size of the files sometimes changes when uplaoded to the
    phone...I think it is stored under a different compression format iwthin
    the phone...but that's just a guess.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

    "888" <UAC@marstation.mars.com> wrote in message news:<3YidnQ3GiOXQp8bcRVn-oA@eclipse.net.uk>...
    > "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
    > > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    > >
    > > In <cjbdk1$jkr$1@bagan.srce.hr> on Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:15:16 +0200, "baba"
    > > <baba44713REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I have just bought myself a SonyEricsson T630. I am perfectly satisfied
    > >>with
    > >>it, although 2Mb memory is disgustingly low for a mobile of that price.

    > It should have memory card support like the more expensive phones. That
    > would be very handy - or even mp3 support :)

    Er, just how new do you think this phone is? It's a facelift for a
    phone that came out in 2002 and is now very cheap. Bit like wondering
    why a 1969 Cortina doesn't have airbags.

Ericsson Mobile Memory