**The Ultimate Modem/Router Setup Thread**

Bishop08

Honorable
May 9, 2012
I have a Comcast SMC8014 cable modem connected to a Linksys BEFSR81 Router and a Netgear Prosafe 24-port 10/100 switch connected to one of the LAN ports on the router. There are many PCs connected to this network, including one used as a file server. I would like to add a LINKSYS WRT54GL wireless router to this mix to allow visitors wireless access to the internet and network printers but NOT allow access to the file server. Is this possible at the hardware level or through port/MAC restrictions on either of the router's software?

Additional information:

I have two AIO machines, 1) an HP Officejet 6500 E709a Series with a static IP used as a printer and scanner and 2) a Canon iR-ADV C5030 also with a static IP used as a printer, FAX and scanner. The RAW port for both is 9100. There are 12 PCs throughout the complex that need to use one or both of these, plus any visitors. I haven't done any port forwarding before and I'd really prefer NOT to have to change printer setups on all the PCs.

I have tried connecting the printers to the wireless router (DHCP off) which is connected to the wired router without port forwarding (due to the perceived RAW port conflict) and the visitors can use both. The visitor(s) cannot see the fileserver, so that part of the requirement works great! However, none of the wired PCs can use the printers!

Is there a clean (not needing to update all PCs) solution to this problem?