R2d2

Distinguished
May 23, 2002
can anyone give me advce on a good cdrw to purchase.
i will be burning lots of differant things. any suggestions?????
i have been told to go for a lite-on should i???

expect the unexpected.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
The lite on burners are a good value for the price I don't think you will regret getting one

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I vote for a Liteon. They offer great performance for a great price.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Yes, PlexWriter has pretty much always been the king of burners, and probably always will be. On that hand they are more expensive than most others though.

Not to say that Lite On isn't good though (though a guy I know had some bad things to say about the company's products in general).

I have a 32x12x48 CyberDrive. On the good side the tray opens smooth, the buttons and look are nice, and it only cost about $120 retail (very good price for the new 24-40x burners). On the bad side it's very noisy, it only has one colored LED, and it takes me about 3 and a half minutes (3 minutes and 30 seconds, about 200 seconds respectively) to write a 700MB CD-R. That's the total time Nero takes though (including caching the files, writing the lead in and out, and what not - total time the laser writes is probably about 3 minutes - I've heard some of the high quality 24x or 32x writers can burn a CD in 2 or 2 and a half minutes).

You can Tom's review on some of the new burners, or go here for a little bit of info www.cdspeed2000.com

R2d2

Distinguished
May 23, 2002
i live in england and i can only get the 32x lite-on would i be better waiting for the 40x one instead??

----------------
it might happen one day!

expect the unexpected.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
the speed gain of the 40x vs the 32x is slight enough that you need not wait... the 32x is plenty fast

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>

R2d2

Distinguished
May 23, 2002
Is the lite-on good for copying games for backup purposes. will it do the ones with protection easy enough?????

expect the unexpected.

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Actually, that's going to be more dependant on your burning program.

All you need to copy protected CDs is a burner that will write RAW DAO mode to the subchannel. Beyond that, it has little to do with your hardware. I would recommend CloneCD for copying games.

The major programs like Nero don't seem to do it right.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
yes it is one of the better ones as it can do efm correctly and many others cannot .. if you are in ther UK and use clonecd you MUST go to control panel and change your region to English (Canada) or amplify weak sectors will not work

lagger