Internet lag spikes/DC's

Niccias

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hello all, im typically decent with computers but for the last 5months ive tried everything to my knowledge but i just cant figure this out. Randomly, my computers wired internet connection will spike up. I first thought it was the router, so i replaced the old one with a new one, but the problem remained. I tried downloading anti malware and registry cleaners but neither did the trick. It happens on every game, and on the internet i notice it so i know its not the game. The only thing i didnt check was the modem since i dont know much about them. This problem is an incredible annoyance and any help would be appreciated. The problem is completely random also, ive gone 3 weeks w/o a problem, other times it continual for 3days. Thanks guys =]
EDIT: just incase i left some things out. All my drivers are up to date and the power supply on my computer is fine. My computer is also running Windows vista.

Niccias

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Still need help. Just got a new modem and a new router, problem remains, just had a 300ms spike for 3mins and a brief 1.5k ms spike. Seems like the problem must be my computer? Help me out guys, please! =] Thanks in advance. Also, DC's dont seem to be a problem anymore, hasn't happened in about 4months, but the spikes remain, i bought the new router 3months ago but i think it might be that, could it? I experience laggy movies on netflix, and my phone runs slow also, what seems to be the problem? Computer or router?

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Your phone runs slow?

Is it just a regular phone?
And do you have a router running from your phone line?

If that's the case then you may have dodgy phone line wiring in, or leading out from your house in the street line.

Don't panic, it's just a thought since you said your phone is also effected.

Niccias

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
I have avast, malwarebytes, eusing free registry cleaner and microsoft security essentials. I got all of them after my problem occured except for M.S.E so i thought it might be that but then again would the built in microsoft anti-virus cause it? To me, it doesnt seem like it would. But ill try disabling them and see what happens.

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012

It's worth a shot.

Do any other computers on the network experience lag spikes or is it just your computer?

Niccias

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
My idea didnt work, but i downloaded all those anti virus programs after the problem started. I only had microsoft security essentials when it did. Personally, i dont think it would be that but ill try it. Any other recommendations would be awesome =].

Niccias

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Just noticed something. I was playing and i spiked over 1k ping when i usually run 86. When this happened my iphone bars dropped to 1bar and my tv started glitching out. Just bought new modem and router but could either of them be faulty? Seems like everything starts to run slow when i spike including my ipad also. Im starting to feel like its not a computer, but another sort of problem.

whj2u99

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

One thing you left out, that could be quite important. What type of internet connection do you have. If it is a wireless connection or cellular connection, it can be unreliable for so many reasons dealing with weather, trees, hay bales, etc. (yes I said hay bales). If it is DSL and you have older phone wiring, it could have issues when it is raining or windy. Please let me know what kind of internet and what make and model your modem is, I will try to help.

Niccias

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
On my computer, i have a wired connection. I also just bought a new computer since mine was having major problems due to how to ive had it and i figured it was just time for a new one. Unfortunately, im still having the ping spikes. So now we know its not the computer and it is the router or modem. I got the modem from cablevision. It says its a model DPX2203 series, the modem number is 129193239

whj2u99

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Have you contacted your ISP tech support? They should be able to run a trace route and see that there is a problem. Then they can discover if it is coming from their end. If it is the modem, they should replace it if you got it through them. They should also be responsible for the wiring up to the cable box on your house. I have seen other instances of the same problem. Usually it has to do with a splitter being used on the cable wire or a faulty cable wire from the wall to the modem. If you have a splitter on the line, try wiring directly to the modem, and if that is not the case attempt to change the wire from wall to modem. Generally if the wire is corroded or cracked, it can cause an issue with the signal.

Niccias

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Sorry its been awhile, i changed the QoS setting on my router so my packets would be first priority, it worked for 2weeks and now it just happened again. 86 to 200ms. I think it might be the wires, i run wired connection and they run through the wall, could it be? I called cablevision and they said its all good on there end, its either the wires running through the wall or i got unlucky and the new router i got was faulty. What do you guys think?

whj2u99

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
It is most likely the wiring in your house. Unfortunately, unless you have a crawl space or want to run it on the outside of your house, it can be a little expensive to replace. There is always the possibility that the new modem/router is the culprit, but not likely.

Niccias

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Yeah it has to be the wiring. What wires do i replace? 2 wires running fromrouter to computer and i think 2 running through the walls into my computer. Do i need to just replace the ethernet and this blue wire? or more?

whj2u99

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

It is most likely the wires that run through the wall. Is it telephone wire? Or Cable wire? If it is cable, then it should run straight through the wall and along the outside of the wall to the cable box. That is the wire that should be replaced. It will most likely be old and cracked.

Before starting to run new wire, find out if the connector at the cable box is loose or corroded.

whj2u99

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

First of all, is the modem connected to a cable wire, or a phone wire? If it is cable, then the wire from the outside cable box (or connection) to the wall plate that the modem is connected to.