Sign in with
Your question

Wireless access point vs router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 12, 2012 5:32:13 AM

Hello,
My router has wireless capability and the signal inside my home is pretty strong so I have no compaints there. The problem comes in when I use my computer which is located in a shed outside. I get a signal maybe 35% of the time, and even then it's weak. I want to use an access point to allow the computer in the shed to aquire internet access. Do I need to hardwire the access point or can I do it wirelessly? Would a repeater be more effective and which config would be best in that case?? Need just a little insight on this one, any would help! Thanx!! LMD
May 12, 2012 5:22:27 PM

where is your router located in reference to the shed? Is the room it is in facing the shed or is it on the other side of the home?

how far is the shed from the home?

what kind of router do you currently use?
m
l
May 29, 2012 7:44:45 AM

Emerald said:
where is your router located in reference to the shed? Is the room it is in facing the shed or is it on the other side of the home?

how far is the shed from the home?

what kind of router do you currently use?

The router is in a room at the front of the house. The signal has to penetrate three walls of the house as well as the one wall of the shed which is outside, maybe 15 to 20 feet from the house. I have a 2Wire 2701hg-b Gateway.
m
l
!