Windows Update Error

LetchaBenderL8R

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Hello everybody!!

Here is a quick run down of what I have under the hood. 46in TV for monitor with nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti GPU. Under normal ops my screen is fitted to the full 46in. I'm not 100% sure what my screen would register for a resolution but I know it is around the 1080 60Hz. When I am on the PlayStation it is 1080p, I know it switches when I go to the PC but like I said i'm not 100% sure.

Okay here is my current problem. I received an important windows update "nVidia - Display, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti". I downloaded the update. After about a minute into the install my screen went black and stated "No Signal". I tried unplugging my HDMI cord and plugging it back in, still nothing. I waited about five minutes thinking maybe it would come back on. No such luck. My only option left was to manual shutdown the computer. After reboot I noticed my screen size had shrunk considerably. I set the resolution to it's proper setting (1280X1024 in screen resolution) but the size of my screen on the TV was still not back to normal. The TV is registering a 1920X1080 60Hz. I shutdown the computer the correct way and turned it back on but the screen stayed the same size. I opened up windows update and noticed a "Failed Install". I tried re-installing the update but received an error code "WindowsUpdate_800F001D" "WindowsUpdate_dt000". I clicked on the "Get help" and found no help for this error. I tried deleting my temporary update files, troubleshooting Windows Update, I've made sure my connection is good, and I tried Microsoft "Fix It". But nothing is working I still receive the error. I even tried GOOGLE but there is nothing on this error unless it is referred to as something else.

Any help would be awesome. If you need any other info let me know.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Solution

LetchaBenderL8R

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Thank you very much szaboaz. I completely forgot about the nvidia website. For anyone else who might read this I don't suggest using Windows Update for your GPU. Use the actual website for the brand you use.

I almost wiped my computer clean and started over.

Two additional points:
1) Microsoft updates occasionally offers OPTIONAL driver updates which are incorrect.

2) Get the program "Acronis True Image" to backup your Windows drive to a separate hard drive. There's a free version if you have a WD or Seagate drive (even USB).

I keep my FIRST backup indefinitely, then if you manually backup make a new one once per month and delete the old one. (I use the automated solution.)

*My SSD failed and here's how I recovered:
1) swapped for a spare hard drive while I RMA's the SSD
2) Used the Acronis TI boot disc and restored my latest backup image on my 2TB WD drive
3) Pasted over my "Documents" folder which is automatically backed up DAILY using synchbackse free.
4) When the new SSD arrived I used Acronis TI to CLONE my hard drive to the SSD.