Sign in with
Your question

Virus or not?

Last response: in Windows 7
April 8, 2012 10:30:44 PM

I have windows 7 Pro 64bit installed for over a year now.
A few months ago I noticed that every time I connect to the web I download 100meg / hour ideling.
Torrents switched off, I cleaned up all other possible background programs.
My SVCHOST netservs just goes nuts.
c:\programdata\Microsoft\network\downloader\gmgr1.dat or gmgr0.dat seem to be doing all the activity?
I can't seem to stop my desktop downloading.
It is a problem since I pay for using the internet.
Any ideas or programs that I can use to pin point my problem?

More about : virus

April 8, 2012 10:38:26 PM

run any antivirus scans? Download malwarebytes and run that in safe mode. Start task manager and check and see if any svchost are not in c:\windows\system32.
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
April 8, 2012 10:47:00 PM

google "c:\programdata\Microsoft\network\downloader\qmgr1.dat"

and see here:
how to get rid of w32.spybot.worm
http://www.computing.net/answers/security/how-to-get-ri...

actually i hardly ever use a virus cleaner; see if anything looks odd in the processes in task manger. use Ccleaner to check what starts up at window boot;disable what shouldn't be there. kill the process and then delete where it is at on the hard drive.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
April 8, 2012 11:05:03 PM

Those 2 files are used by BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) which is a component of Microsoft Windows XP and later operating systems that facilitates prioritized, throttled, and asynchronous transfer of files between machines using idle network bandwidth. It is most commonly used by recent versions of Windows Update, Microsoft Update, Windows Server Update Services, and Systems Management Server to deliver software updates to clients, Microsoft's anti-virus scanner Microsoft Security Essentials to fetch signature updates, and is also used by Microsoft's instant messaging products to transfer files.

So chances are They are just being reported as the culprit while some other program is actually the one requesting the service.

Here is a Wikipedia article that describes the BITS service that may provide some info
a b $ Windows 7
April 8, 2012 11:47:51 PM

Other:

Download, install, update then scan your system using the following two programs:
1) malwarebytes free version
2) Spybot Search and Destroy

If it's really hosed you may need to reinstall Windows. If you ever do, get Acronis True Image and make automated backups to a non-Windows drive. I have Acronis TI make a new backup every week, plus I kept the FIRST backup in case I have issues like viruses creep in later then I can do a really fresh restore.

I also use Synchbackse free to automatically backup my "Documents" folder every day.
April 9, 2012 12:05:42 PM

egilbe said:
run any antivirus scans? Download malwarebytes and run that in safe mode. Start task manager and check and see if any svchost are not in c:\windows\system32.

I have done this scan and got nothing. I have the latest version of Norton and running always.
Problem still there.
Anything more ideas?
a b $ Windows 7
April 9, 2012 2:11:57 PM

doncarriere said:
I have done this scan and got nothing. I have the latest version of Norton and running always.
Problem still there.
Anything more ideas?

That could be the cause --- Do you have the active scan portion of Norton running -- it will check for info on every file that opens on your system before opening it to make sure it is not a virus as well as running a lot of other processes many of which will use the internet connection ( Years back Norton was a reliable program but the last few years it has gotten to be a very bloated program that wastes resources and most users have switched to other programs as a result.)
April 9, 2012 3:12:12 PM

Norton sucks. Use Microsoft security essentials, instead.
!