Ethernet--Cables Good, But Will Not Connect

Mike In MO

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hello--

I have searched, but am unable to find my situation. If this has been posted before, please forgive the repetition. Thank you for any help.

Everything on my home network worked flawlessly until I recently disconnected several Ethernet cables to reroute and clean up the appearance around the Uverse Gateway (this was done in preparation for the upcoming installation of a 16-port Gigabit switch). When I plugged the cables back in to the Gateway, the connection to the office would not come back on. The office has a TP Link Gigabit switch handling two desktops and an NAS. I can access the second desktop and the NAS through the main desktop via the Gigabit switch.

All the ports on the Gateway work fine, and connections (via Linksys switch) to the television, Blu Ray, and Apple TV work.

Here is what I have tried:

Tested each cable run in the house, associated patch cords, and ports on the TP Link Gigabit switch. All are solid with all eight wires showing good. I went so far as to replace two RJ45 plugs, just in case that was the issue.

Connected my netbook (with wireless disabled) via Ethernet to each port on the gateway, and each Ethernet outlet in the house. Each worked, except the office.

In the office I tried plugging into the wall, bypassing the office switch and all other cabling, but the computer does not show the cable as being plugged in ("an Ehternet cable is unplugged"), and there is no activity on the port at the Gateway.

Reset the connections in the Gateway from Auto-Detect to 10Mbps to see if that would help. It did not. Upon going to 100 Mbps, then returning to Auto-Detect, the other connections still worked.

Tried ipconfig /release and /renew.

Again, all physical connections are solid and test out. This is maddening, since the office is where I need the connection the most. I have temporarily connected an old USB Wireless g adapter to the main desktop, but this is obviously not a long-term solution.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to show that I have made a concerted effort and tried many things to resolve the situation, and provide enough detail so you won't have to reinvent the wheel on this problem.

Thank you again for any help.

Mike In MO

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

Hi Emerald--

Thank you for your post. I do not have a patch panel. Yes, there is a wall connection in the office--the run from the office wall goes directly to the Uverse Gateway (the run is about 100 feet). I have used different patch cords, and have tried bypassing the TP Link switch and connecting to the outlet in the wall. In using these cords, I have tested each cable (purchased, not homemade), as well as the wall-to-gateway run, using a basic Pyle Network Cable Tester (I'm just a DIYer).

Thank you for your time...

TRENDING THREADS