3 Computers connected to 1 modem router

conan4

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hello there , i ll get straight to the point .
There are 3 people in my house that are connecting to the internet by a single modem router, everything is fine when there is only 1 of us online , but when there are 2 or 3 of us online , our download & our upload speed dramatically decreases . So is there a way to maintain our normal download & upload speed even when all 3 of us are online ?
Any help is appreciated.

P.S : Let me know if you want any more information or details about my issue ...

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012
It is inevitable that your internet speeds will get slower as more people go online.

Think of it like a tap and bucket.

When you have one computer on the internet, or 1 bucket under the tap for example, all the water is dedicated to the single bucket and it will fill up very quickly.

However, when you have 3 computers on the internet, or 3 buckets under the tap (with water going into each), each bucket receives less water than 1 alone because it must be divided between the 3. Thus the 3 buckets will fill up slower (slower internet).

This is all based on the assumption your network is working fine and it's just a matter of the internet connection being "shared" and "divided" between the multiple computers.

conan4

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
So isn't there any way to stop that ? Like buying 2 more routers or something like that ? ( Sorry , i am a newbie on that things.. )
edit: just noticed that videos are being loaded to his laptop faster to him when we are both online , almost like when he is the only one online Oo .

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I assume router is sufficient so you don't need another.

It could be a QoS issue in any other issue but I'm guessing your router settings are default? so it should be fine.

What internet plan do you have?

conan4

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
I am not pretty sure , you see i am only coming in this house at holidays, how can i find out my internet plan?

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012

If you don't know the plan specifically you can still test the speed, which is what we are after.

With no one else using the internet, run this test: http://www.speedtest.net/ and let me know the results. If the results show your internet to be sufficiently fast then it will help narrow the problem down to something else.

1. Run Test
2. Reply with the download, upload and ping numbers

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I see now how this could be an issue for you, the drop in speed is quite significant even with just one extra PC on. I noticed that on the second ping test you pinged a server which is further away which will give slightly slower speeds but nothing significant.

What router are you using?
Also what was the other computer doing when you did the slow speed test, were they streaming videos or downloading?
Do you notice the slow speeds during normal web browsing like using google etc or is it just really slow when you or another computer watches videos or downloads?

Just as an example, my internet is less than half your internet speed and we have 4 computers on at a time, most of them streaming video or downloading. Because they all are using so much internet and have to share it, the connection can be very slow. Someone on youtube will hog the bandwidth and make the other computers internet slow. It also makes playing online games impossible due to lag.

conan4

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

I didn't choose the server :S .
My modem router is a " Pirelli " that's all i know about that e.e can you be more specific on your question ? :S ( i am a real noob in that , remember ? :p )
He was online in facebook , reading the news in a webpage and writing in a forum .
Yes, even loading a page is slower than before , watching videos for me ( only ) is impossible ( it will take me about 1 hour to load a 20 minute video ) , online gaming is impossible due to lag for me 2 . [ For example , i am playing in the European rooms of garena ( dunno if you have ever heard of it :p ) and when i am the only one online in my house, people have from 100 to 140 ping when i tunnel them , but when there is 1 more online , they have from 300 to 4000 ping ) ] . It seems to me that i am the only one with such a slow internet when 2 or 3 of us are online :S .

TRENDING THREADS