Sound from glass question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I seem to recall an ad in a magazine (Wired, perhaps) for a device that
could attach to glass and make that glass sort of act as a speaker and
resonate the input signal of the device.
Anybody know where I might find out more about that?
Thanks for any help.

I've seen these a number of years ago. I have no idea of who is selling them
these days, if they are on the market at all. I did not find the results too
impressive. They are okay, if you need some soft music or noise, and you are
not critical about how it sounds. Different glass gave a different type of
sound. This made their accuracy very poor.

--

JANA
_____

<eric@elcmedia.com> wrote in message
I seem to recall an ad in a magazine (Wired, perhaps) for a device that
could attach to glass and make that glass sort of act as a speaker and
resonate the input signal of the device.
Anybody know where I might find out more about that?
Thanks for any help.

eric wrote ...
> I seem to recall an ad in a magazine (Wired, perhaps) for
> a device that could attach to glass and make that glass sort
> of act as a speaker and resonate the input signal of the device.
> Anybody know where I might find out more about that?
> Thanks for any help.

I remember seeing something like that in the PartsExpress
catalog (but I couldn't find it on the www.partsexpress.com
website)

They are not very "high-fidelity" and putting them on glass
is one of the worse places I can think of. I certainly would
not expect decent music reproduction, and even voice-
quality would be poor.

eric@elcmedia.com wrote:
> I seem to recall an ad in a magazine (Wired, perhaps) for a device that
> could attach to glass and make that glass sort of act as a speaker

I believe IBM is offering something of this sort in conjunction with a
touch-screen technology that can work through existing glass, so an
existing storefont window can be turned into an interactive information
kiosk... But I don't know any of the details. And that isn't usually an
application which requires high fidelity audio, so...

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction, anyway.

Richard Crowley wrote:
> eric wrote ...
>
>> I seem to recall an ad in a magazine (Wired, perhaps) for a device
>> that could attach to glass and make that glass sort of act as a
>> speaker and resonate the input signal of the device.
>> Anybody know where I might find out more about that?
>> Thanks for any help.
>

> I remember seeing something like that in the PartsExpress
> catalog (but I couldn't find it on the www.partsexpress.com
> website)
>
> They are not very "high-fidelity" and putting them on glass
> is one of the worse places I can think of. I certainly would
> not expect decent music reproduction, and even voice-
> quality would be poor.

Might help to avoid those 'bounce a beam off the window and record the
conversation in the room' type surve....

I've said too much.

TBerk

eric@elcmedia.com wrote:
> I seem to recall an ad in a magazine (Wired, perhaps) for a device that
> could attach to glass and make that glass sort of act as a speaker and
> resonate the input signal of the device.
> Anybody know where I might find out more about that?
> Thanks for any help.

This is what you're looking for:

http://www.soundthingy.com/

http://www.soundthingy.com/en-gb/dept_4.html