Sign in with
Your question

DVD R/RW

Last response: in Storage
May 24, 2002 11:46:48 AM

O.k. I just built my new system and I waited to get my DVD r/rw becuase of finacial problems but now I think I am ready and I really want a DVD R/RW becuase it will be great for storage. I mean 4.7 GB is alot of storage space......well what I was going to ask is what is a good DVD-r-rw? For around 500 bucks.....and should i continue to wait til they fall in price more? Thanks alot!

Tedro

More about : dvd

May 24, 2002 12:11:04 PM

I'm not sure exactly, but yes they are very pricy like $500 and up. It depends on the drive, and what it can do, also at what speeds. I think Pioneer has one for about $500 without tax.

Oh, dual layer high capacity DVD-R/RW's can hold 17GB :-D (you can write on both sides, not just the under surface - but I'm not sure you can have a label on the "top" side, but that's no real disadvantage compared to the storage capacity - but I think they read a little slower).

You may want to wait a little while longer, and just see.

One thing, make sure you get a warranty! ;-)
May 26, 2002 1:19:56 AM

be careful what you buy...some of the first-gen dvd burners dont support new formats. I saw an article about this in Maximum PC, but i don't remember all the details. Might want to check it out before buyinga 500 dollar part.
May 26, 2002 6:58:35 PM

'slickstaa' is right, be very careful. The formats are changing, and can mislead you (i.e. DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RAM... and some of them dont necessarily write normal CD's!)

"The answer to life's problems aren't at the bottom of a beer bottle, they're on TV."
!