Kingston vs. Samsung RDRAM

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
So which one you guys think is better?
Also for overclocking?

And another quick question is how do you tell if it's 16bit or 32bit RDRAM?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Click <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/fattyburger/samsung.html" target="_new">here</A> for the answer. I can't tell you with sufficient emphasis in this forum.

And it's 16-bit. I haven't seen ay 32-bit RDRAM around.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Fatman,

What was that!

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bum_jcrules/Fatburger-Lame.html" target="_new">Sad attempt at sarcasim.</A> You can do better than that.

PS. Have you played with STREAM yet?

<b>"Sometimes you can't hear me because I'm talking in parenthesis" - Steven Wright</b> :lol:

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
You can play with it at work.

Don't you just hate it when your employer makes you stop playing while you are at work? :lol:

I linked it with a <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bum_jcrules/STREAMforDOS_DOWNLOAD.html" target="_new">Geocities link</A> that I just created.

Thanks to you...

I now have a place to post junk on the web. You can add that to your list of things to waste you time with on the "others" section.

I am going to make a .wav file of my 14.5 week old baby's heartbeat. I have on a tape recorder from our last doctor's visit when he did the ultrasound. It sounds like a washing machine.

<b>"Sometimes you can't hear me because I'm talking in parenthesis" - Steven Wright</b> :lol:

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Alright.
Well if you go to www.elpida.com they have 32-bit RIMM's..
And wouldn't you get double the bandwidth if they're 32-bit?.. So instead of 16-bit RIMM's which would be 3.2GB you would get 6.4GB with the 32-bit RIMM's...

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Newegg has real 1066 RDRAM from Kingston.

I'm sick of all the bakas in this forum linking to Pc800-40ns RDRAM and calling it PC1066.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
32-bit RIMMs are single-channel, 16-bit are dual-channel, so there is no difference in bandwidth. The P4 wouldn't be able to use double the bandwidth anyway.

Samsung overclocks better and is generally a more trustworthy brand (in my mind).

louman99

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
No difference most of the time. There's only a couple of semiconductors making RDRAM that screens at 1066. Kingston is a module manufacturer not a semiconductor company. They probably use Samsung most of the time.

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Ummm... okay so are you saying what Kingston is selling is basically Samsung RDRAM but with the name Kingston instead?

I've seen Mushkin, Kingston, and Samsung from various sites selling PC1066 RDRAM..
Would Mushkin and Kingston be basically using Samsung RDRAM and replacing Samsung's name with their own now?

louman99

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Sort of, Kingston is a module manufacturer and they use a variety of DRAM vendors depending on the technology. Since there are few chip companies making RDRAM it's likely they're buying Samsung RDRAM from Samsung and assembling it on their own PCB's. The semiconductor companies like Samsung, Toshiba, Infineon and Micron do as much business from selling loose chips to various companies/industries as they do selling their own branded modules. Kingston is just manufacturing their own PC1066 RIMMs with Samsung components on them. Think of Kingston, Mushkin, Corsair, PNY..etc as car manufacturers, does Honda make every single part that they assemble their cars with?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Think of Kingston, Mushkin, Corsair, PNY..etc as car manufacturers, does Honda make every single part that they assemble their cars with?

Exactly. Think of Kingston or Mushkin as the car manufacturer, but they're using an engine made by Samsung, who also makes complete cars.

louman99

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Fatburger is right, can't go wrong buying from the source.
I just prefer dealing with the manufacturers instead of the semis because of price. I buy a schload of memory every year for my customers so price is very important. Most of the time a 3rd party mem maker using quality DRAM is less. Samsung's core business is supplying OEM's (Dell, IBM..etc) not the average user so I can't get good pricing buying direct or through the channel. If it sounds as if I'm a Kingston fan I am, I've been buying direct from them for over 6 years and they have great service, 24x7 live tech support...yada yada yada

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Seems like RDRAM modules will come from more makers though most of the chips themselves will still be manufacturered by Samsung.

<b> Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal </b>

louman99

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Actually it's more about the RDRAM, it really comes down to which semi has the chips yields to support 1066. Fatburger has long touted Samsung if you wanted to overclock PC800 RIMMs. Just look at the semiconductors that are selling PC1066 direct, any quality module manufacturers that are selling PC1066 are probably using the same components. PCB is important but it's more about the chips.

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Hmm.. okay...
Well then is is best to buy from the semi companies?
Like Samsung? Or it's not going to make such a big difference if I bought Kingston or Mushkin?

louman99

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
If you assume the quality is at or near equal then it comes down to price and service. I buy modules by the 100's and 1000's so a few bucks cheaper is important to me. BTW some of my customers are telling me that PC800 RIMMs using Toshiba RDRAM will overclock fairly well also. They will be completely out the DRAM business in a few months so they may be hard to find. Maybe Fatburger has an opinion/experience with Toshiba RDRAM.