Sign in with
Your question

Best soundcard

Last response: in Components
May 24, 2002 11:30:31 PM

I'm considering upgrading and whatever.. I'd just like your opinion on what you think would be the best soundcard. I know absolutely nothing about them, so..

More about : soundcard

May 24, 2002 11:33:01 PM

Three things: Price range, what kind of speakers or headphones, and what do you do the most of (games, music, DVDs, etc)?

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
May 24, 2002 11:45:55 PM

Price = Don't care.

I don't know what kind of speakers, possibly a 3-speaker set. Suggestions?

And it would basically just be for gaming and music..
Related resources
May 25, 2002 7:46:33 AM

ig you will be able to find it: MX300, gg.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
May 25, 2002 8:38:35 AM

If your a gamer definitely get 5-piece system (2 front, 2 surround, 1 subwoofer). You'll be able to take advantage of EAX and/or A3D (depending on soundcard and gametitle). I can personally recommend Altec Lansing and by all means if you have the money to burn- get a Klipsch 5.1 system. My brother got one and its FREAKING awesome. Its even more worth the money if you watch DVD's (Its THX rated), and plays great music.

If you just want to listen to music but spend less than Klipsch, try looking into a 3-piece Cambridge speakers. I've got Cambridge Soundworks, and love it. My Altec Lansing 5-piece system is better for gaming; however, even if it is far less powerful (alot cheaper too).

As for soundcard, most folks are recommending the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, but I don't have any experience with this card so I can't say for sure.
May 25, 2002 8:46:24 AM

Klipsch speakers are great. I think it is definitely worth the money.
May 26, 2002 2:58:38 AM

MX300 was a great sounding card! I own the SQ2500 of the same chip.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
May 26, 2002 4:02:15 AM

Why "was", it still is if you and I are using it :) 

May 26, 2002 6:28:00 AM

I'm still using my SQ2500.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
May 28, 2002 2:14:59 PM

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

Klipsh 2.1 speakers
or
Logitech Z-560 4.1 Speakers
or
Klipsh 5.1 Speakers
<A HREF="http://www.3dsoundsurge.com" target="_new">reviews here on Soundcards and speakers</A>

<A HREF="http://www.headphone.com" target="_new">headphones</A> if your into that.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
May 29, 2002 6:48:03 AM

""Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

Klipsh 2.1 speakers""

Geez, there is nothnig even close to MX300 and MS Sound System 80 combo as far as 2.1 setup goes.

May 29, 2002 1:19:00 PM

Quote:
Geez, there is nothnig even close to MX300 and MS Sound System 80 combo as far as 2.1 setup goes.

I used an MX300 with a two speaker system for about a year and was never really impressed with A3D. On many games I actually *disabled* A3D because it made things sound worse (distorted delays in sound etc.).

I've found a true 5.1 system far more convincing for positioning of sounds behind and to the side.

Ritesh
May 29, 2002 2:59:41 PM

Ah, duh, you guys all missing the points....was just giving options.

For Music, a 2.1 system is way the go. Your basically only worried about wav and mp3 sound quality. TBSCw/Klipsh2.1 does that very very well for a pc if your not wanting to spend massive dollars on Sirroco Spirit speakers or something.

Of course 5.1 is better than 2.1 for movies and games...

And for the other reply: sure there is, how bout a TerraTec 6fire with Sirroco Spirit speakers? blow dat away. all about preference and price.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
May 29, 2002 3:48:24 PM

For Music, 5.1 system is a lot better than a 2.1 system. I have Klipsch 2.1 before and I notice a big difference when I add another Klipsch 2.1 to my system.
May 29, 2002 9:56:50 PM

5.1 is only better for music if you constantly just have to be surrounded by walls of sound. Thank you but not for me.
5.1 is not better than 2.1. Whats happening is you just think it sounds cool to have the sound coming at you from every direction...which is...just your personal preference to what sounds cool. That does not equate to whats "best" for music. A good 2.1 setup is far superior for replication of good music sound.

edit: 2.1+2.1 does not equal 5.1...but then i'm sure you know that... :smile:

May 30, 2002 2:41:22 AM

gg, you've maid mi laf, hehehe, i bet you had $7.99 set of 2 speakerz and Pentium Pro 166 without MMX at the time, hehe.

By the way, I was talking bout 2.1 set and not 2.0, or they are not different;?>

And of coarse you have never heard MS SS-80 to start with, so why bother explaining.

May 30, 2002 2:45:15 AM

Quote:
5.1 is not better than 2.1. Whats happening is you just think it sounds cool to have the sound coming at you from every direction

If you play a two-channel source in a four-channel system, most sound cards will simply duplicate from the front left and right to the rear left and right. So in effect, the four-channel system ends up sounding like headphones. When a sound comes from the left on a 2.1 system, it only comes from the front left. On a 4.1 or 5.1 system, it comes from both the front left and rear left, dominating the whole left side and sounding *quite a bit better* than a simple 2.1 system.

Personally, I think MP3s and CD tracks sound much better in 4.1 than 2.1 because it surrounds me like headphones. Of course, good headphones are ideal for music.

Ritesh
May 30, 2002 12:04:11 PM

I know it is not 5.1 but it sounds similar to 5.1 when you listen to music.
May 30, 2002 12:14:37 PM

You are the first person I know who perfer 2.1 speaker system over 5.1 speaker system.
May 30, 2002 3:32:52 PM

I don't, cause i mostly play games with my pc, which i use 4.1 or headhpones for. But when listening to music...its meant for stereo...2 speakers. The effect i get on headphones is much different from the effect of 4 speakers. With headphones off a signal processing amp you get a sterio field in front of you. Basically what they call a soundstage which is also attainable with 2 speakers for music and 4.1 for games and 5.1 for movies. Not saying music sounds bad on a 4 or 5.1 system, on the contrary it sounds very good. But a 2 speaker system or headphones can give you a much better reproduction of what the music was meant to sound like and when you get down to the details sounds better to most music listeners. When you get to the level of Klipsh speakers for the pc and beyond the differences really start showing up with nice sound cards. Most guys into high quality music prefer 2 speaker setups or headphones for music, 5.1 for games and movies. But, like i said, some people prefer to just be surrounded by sound...which is fine...nothing wrong with that.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 05/30/02 11:36 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 30, 2002 6:23:55 PM

Just to throw in my two cents, I prefer four speakers over two for music, but I'd rather have two great speakers than four slightly worse ones.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
May 30, 2002 6:52:50 PM

Quote:
But a 2 speaker system or headphones can give you a much better reproduction of what the music was meant to sound like and when you get down to the details sounds better to most music listeners.

??? Like I said before, with a stereo source the rear channels on a 4.1 system simply duplicate the front channels. So the "details" of the music are *exactly the same*. It just comes from the entire side instead of the front corners. There's no difference in the details.

Now signal processing is a whole different animal and can make music sound very different (concert hall, live, church, etc.). But there is no need for signal processing with a 2-channel source. In fact, the musicians almost certainly intended their music to be listened to *without* signal processing enabled. This is regardless of what equipment is used to listen to it: headphones, 2.1, or 4.1. Note that there's no difference between 4.1 and 5.1 for music because the center channel isn't used. Unless you enable Creative's silly CMSS mode which upmixes a stereo source into five channels (yuck).

Ritesh
May 30, 2002 7:13:17 PM

To the origional poster: I hope this thread hasnt totally alienated you if your still out there. Just buy a set of Klipsh speakers and be happy=)

To Ritesh:
Two totally different kinds of signal processing... I was talking about what headphone amps do to fix the "blobs in the head" you get on headphones which is where you basically hear a symphony in your head. The signal processors on a headhpone amp can correct that and make it sound like its coming from a stage in front of you instead. It doesnt actually change the dynamics though,just sounds like its coming from a stage in front of you instead of from inside you.

Totally different animal, i agree that the kind of signal processing your talking about which is something creative specializes in is bad. I would prefer 4 speakers to headphones without the signal processing amp i mentioned. Makes a huge difference in how real and live the music sounds.

Never said 4 speakers changed the music or sound somehow...just the soundstage...if you don't know what i'm talking about just forget about it its not that important-P Don't try to make it into something i'm not saying.

!