Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Auto Syncing laptop, Desktop-PC and External HDD

Last response: in Networking
June 4, 2012 6:47:04 PM

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place but it seems this is about networking.

Last month I built an Ivy Bridge 3770K /Asus Z77 Dlx MoBo desktop. In it I am running a Crucial 128 Gb SSD with a WD 1 Tb HDD.

I also have a nearly 2 yr old Dell Studio 1747 laptop which I just added another Crucial 128 Gb SSD to with it being the boot drive now. The Dell also has a Toshiba 500Gb HDD.

The new desktop is really fast and only thing left to get there is a Video card but am in no hurry as the Intel 4000 graphics on board the chip is pretty good for what I have been using it for handling Bluray movies and streaming etc. iTunes is now liveable cause on the old laptop config, it was a killing experience.

The laptop after adding the SSD is quicker than it was but just slightly faster. but nothing compared to the new desktop PC. Its more of a backup anyways. So I can live with it.

For backup to the backup I have an older WD 1 Tb My Book Essential with usb 2.0. I have a 2 yr old Linksys e3000 wireless router which is now being used for just the laptop and iPhone to connect to the net as the Desktop I have wired. I am in an apartment building in Brooklyn NY and there are a slew of signals around which cause slower than optimal performance. I have alot of options cause the Asus MoBo has built in wifi and can act as client or access point for other devices. Both PC and the Dell have fresh installs of Windows 7. I have homesharing all set up.

My question is this: What would you do to sync the desktop and laptop and external HDD automatically? Its really only Word docs, Music mp3 folders and Pictures that I want to keep synch'ed bewteen all three devices. The WD software the last time i used it a couple yrs ago was not a pleasant experience.

When I save something on the PC I would want to have it saved automatically to both the laptop and ext. HDD or vice versa. I am a relative newb with PC's; and with all the building, configuring and tweaking I have been doing I am about burnt out. LOL!! Before I just give in to the status quo tho, I want to get this sync setup. I now have all the systems running and for the first time want to and should be able to keep everything organized without having to do it all manually. And I dont want to spend much more as I already have spent a good amount. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated as was the advice I got from you guys about the build a couple months ago. Thx again.

Best solution

June 5, 2012 7:43:36 PM

Maybe one of these will be helpful,

http://lifehacker.com/372175/free-ways-to-synchronize-f...

Didn't read it fully, but the second option my get you part of the way there. If you've got the laptop/desktop syncing i would probably just use a normal backup program to backup the desktop to the usb drive which should be the same data as the laptop if that sync was configured properly.

Personally I like crashplan for backing up to local or network drives as its free for that use.
June 5, 2012 9:54:14 PM

chas373 said:
Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place but it seems this is about networking.

Last month I built an Ivy Bridge 3770K /Asus Z77 Dlx MoBo desktop. In it I am running a Crucial 128 Gb SSD with a WD 1 Tb HDD.

I also have a nearly 2 yr old Dell Studio 1747 laptop which I just added another Crucial 128 Gb SSD to with it being the boot drive now. The Dell also has a Toshiba 500Gb HDD.

The new desktop is really fast and only thing left to get there is a Video card but am in no hurry as the Intel 4000 graphics on board the chip is pretty good for what I have been using it for handling Bluray movies and streaming etc. iTunes is now liveable cause on the old laptop config, it was a killing experience.

The laptop after adding the SSD is quicker than it was but just slightly faster. but nothing compared to the new desktop PC. Its more of a backup anyways. So I can live with it.

For backup to the backup I have an older WD 1 Tb My Book Essential with usb 2.0. I have a 2 yr old Linksys e3000 wireless router which is now being used for just the laptop and iPhone to connect to the net as the Desktop I have wired. I am in an apartment building in Brooklyn NY and there are a slew of signals around which cause slower than optimal performance. I have alot of options cause the Asus MoBo has built in wifi and can act as client or access point for other devices. Both PC and the Dell have fresh installs of Windows 7. I have homesharing all set up.

My question is this: What would you do to sync the desktop and laptop and external HDD automatically? Its really only Word docs, Music mp3 folders and Pictures that I want to keep synch'ed bewteen all three devices. The WD software the last time i used it a couple yrs ago was not a pleasant experience.

When I save something on the PC I would want to have it saved automatically to both the laptop and ext. HDD or vice versa. I am a relative newb with PC's; and with all the building, configuring and tweaking I have been doing I am about burnt out. LOL!! Before I just give in to the status quo tho, I want to get this sync setup. I now have all the systems running and for the first time want to and should be able to keep everything organized without having to do it all manually. And I dont want to spend much more as I already have spent a good amount. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated as was the advice I got from you guys about the build a couple months ago. Thx again.

Thx tomatthe for the reply and sorry for the wall of text.
m
l
June 15, 2012 1:11:58 AM

Best answer selected by chas373.
m
l
!