Sign in with
Your question

Crucial PC2700

Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 25, 2002 6:11:57 AM

I'm building my first system since my girlfriend's 386 (collective groan, I know) and using one Crucial PC2700 256mb module on an ASUS P4S533 w/ a 1.6 Ghz socket 478 Pentium 4. We're a little strapped, the (now) wife and I, (as you can see by the 1.6) and I was hoping to use my old Windows 98, but each time I try to install it, I get the following error:
W98setup.bin @ 000C:2950
W98SETUP caused a GPF in module USER.EXE...
Bad fault in MS-DOS extender

The Microsoft support page says this of the first part:
"This behavior can occur if you start Setup from a network resource whose Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path contains more than 240 characters." But that doesn't make any sense to me; I'm starting from a CD, not a network.

The last, the bad fault in MS-DOS extender, is a memory problem. I notice in my ASUS manual, that Crucial in not one of the recommended manufacturers for PC2700. Could that be the problem? I've been using Crucial and was happy with them.
Or should I suck it up and pony up for a newer version of Windows?
Sorry if I just made any dumb statements. Trying to get back into the tech side of things. Thanks for your help

Babear

More about : crucial pc2700

May 25, 2002 11:52:44 AM

Run your RAM at the 1:1 ratio for now as you install Windows. Once you're done installing Windows, work on speeding up your computer. I expect 2.4GHz out of that system or 2.13GHz at the very least.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:
Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 26, 2002 5:48:21 AM

AMD-MAN, you're talking about the CPU/Memory Frequency Ratio, right? Just set it to 1:1, from previous setting of "auto". No change; same error msg.

Babear
Related resources
May 27, 2002 5:07:18 AM

Did the CD ever work before(Check for defects)?

Crucial probably would not be reccomended as they just released their version of DDR333, and most likely your mobo has sat on a shelf for a month or two.

Try calling MS?

If all else fails, borrow a copy of XP and keycrack it.(Please note, highly illegal)

<font color=black>Need Money!! Accepting Donations to help better my future. Thanks!</font color=black><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pwent on 05/27/02 01:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 31, 2002 3:58:20 AM

You were right on about the CD. I don't know why it didn't work. It was not a bootleg, and was in good shape, but I just installed XP and Frankenstein is up and running like Secretariat. Thanks for your help.

Babear
!