So whats after 40x12x48?

JPWRana

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
So what's the next generation (or speed) of CD-RWs. Will their write speed just keep getting faster? Or the rewrite speeds? because i want to buy a burner, but even though drive speeds have slown down, they still always continue to grow higher and higher, making the previous cd burner obsolete... so should i buy a 40x12x48 burner now... or wait when a new cd burner comes out... and if so, how long should i wait?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Cyberdrive already <A HREF="http://www.cdrlabs.com/" target="_new">announced a 40x16x48 writer</A> in Europe. I think Asus announced one as well.

<b>Update:</b>
Don't know how I missed this. Right on the same page is an announcement that Mitsumi has a 40x20x48 writer.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 05/25/02 03:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Yay, but that's only +4 (from 12x to 16x) on RW discs. I have yet to see 12x rewriteable blank discs in stores yet. Other brands however have 40x for CD-Rs

High speed (like regular CD-ROMs, not burners) for Max drives is considered 52x generally (some companies like Acer have 56x - some like Mitsumi, at least before, have 48x).

I think that would take a bit new technology to put that in a burner.

I don't know. I think I will be keeping my CyberDrive 32x12x48 for now :) (as noisy as it is).

On Mitsumi I wouldn't know. Has anyone read my post about prefecting CD-RW technology? RWs are specially formatted. I'd like to see some higher speed ones soon enough<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Clarentavious on 05/25/02 03:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah it's only +4 but at 16X it should take less than 5 minutes to do a full burn on CD-RWs. (Did you notice my update? Mitsumi has a writer that will do 20X on re-writeables).

I just upgraded to a 36x12x48 Cyberdrive, myself. I'm not worried about the newer, faster units. Three weeks ago I was about to buy a 24x10x?? Liteon but for less money and promotional free shipping I saw the Cyberdrive 36X at Newegg.com. I'm happy now. I'm not so happy that the price has since dropped from $71 to $59 (but no longer free shipping).

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
if a burner is rated at 40x, that doesnt mean it writes at 40x the whole time, it takes a while to get going that fast. The speed jump between a 24x and a 40 is under a minute, and the differences get smaller as you go higher. Besides, how terrible is it to wait 3 minutes to burn a cd? IMO, the biggest thing to look for in new burners is extra features like overburning, etc.

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
It depends on what type of technology the burner uses (like P-CAV for example, partial constant angular velocity), and what speed they start at.

As for overburning, it's easiest to overburn at the lowest speeds possible (like 2x), for stability (and actually for it just to work). Alot of the current burners have a minimum of 4x unfortunately. Unless you are writing music or movies or something, I wouldn't recommend going above 88 minutes, it is just too much of a risk to lose data (some devices won't recognise disc overburned past 90 minutes)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i dont like these superfast burners... gotta have less data integrity considering how damn fast they are writing 6mb/sec at the end of the media!!!

as far as progression goes
either we have to go dual laser or slowly move on to dvd burners and faster combo drives.

<font color=red>MABACITISS</font color=red>: Movement Against Boasting About CPU Idle Temps & Idle System Stability!

JPWRana

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
so Lite-On will come out w/ a new one that's 48x write, and Mistume w/ one that's 20x rewrite. Do you know if they will come to USA any time soon? Oh and also, what's P-cav and what's the difference with that over Z-cav? Which is better and why.

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Z-CLV (zoned constant linear velocity) is actually not good.

Basically, your speed will start out at like 16x It will remain that way for a little while (maybe 15 seconds), then it will suddenly jump to maybe 24x

When the jump happens, there is a sudden burst of speed to the new level (the speed change takes place within a second). There is a very quick almost spin down then spin up.

This is not a good thing as the laser is supposed to remain in constant contact with the disc during the burning process.

It is slower and less effective than P-CAV With this method, the velocity slows changes over a steady period of time. Like it may start at 16x, then go to 17x three seconds later, then 18x three seconds after that. There is no sudden unstable jump within the drive (it is able to achieve the next speed by slowly increasing the rotation with a little extra power). Then it levels off at its max (say 32x) then just goes straight

You can find out more here www.cdspeed2000.com There's also some reviews here on Tom's Hardware.

They have diagrams that show how it works

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Pretty new to this stuff, myself. I had a writer for four years but it was an HP 4x2x20 unit. I never cared what technology it used as long as it was reliable writing my data backups. It was (as long a I avoided blue dye media).

When I decided to upgrade I was basically waiting for Liteons to come down in price. I almost purchased a 24x10x40 unit a few months ago but while I was deciding the price went up from $70 to $90 (at Newegg) so I waited some more. Finally, I saw the Cyberdrive 36x for $71 (w/ free shipping). I quickly read a few reviews and decided it was good enough for my needs. Had a software incompatibility which was fixed with an InCD update. Now I'm happy.

I don't know what P-CAV and Z-CAV are but CAV stands for Constant Angular Velocity which means the drive maintains a constant spinrate even as the laser moves from inner to outer portions of a disc.

I have heard of Z-CLV which is Zone Constant <b>Linear</b> velocity. The way I understand this (and I may be wrong), going from the inner portion of a disc to the out portion there are different zones (usually 4, 5 or 6 zones). Within each of these zones writing is done at a constant rate, a lower rate at the inner portion of the disc inceasing in each successive zone to the outer portion where the drive's maximum speed is reached.

As for various drives showing up at CompUSA, only CompUSA will know this. I personally don't actually recall ever seeing Mitsumi drives in the USA. However, Mitsumi drives use ExacLink underrun protection and so do Cyberdrive units. Maybe a conclusion can be made from this, maybe not.

I've not seen Liteon drives in retail stores in my area but I have seen Cendyne drives. These are rebadged Liteons (or least they have been for the Lightning I, II, and III models).

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
A 40X Writer writes at over 24X but not much more. 26X-28X average. On full 700MB CDs, you can get to 30X or faster average.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
There will be soon 48/16/48 CD-RW drives from many vendors including Asustek, Benq, LG, and so on, and 40/20/48 from Mitsumi with the usual 16MB buffer - optional this time though.

The next Sanyo DVD-R 4x writer will be faster than 48x CD-R in real world situation since it also saves a lot of time spent on inserting and ejecting discs as well as writing at 5.5MB/s which is the average speed of 48x CD-R writing.

<b> Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal </b>

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
LG's latest 40x CD-RW writes at 33x on 700MB CD.

The average writing speed of the first 48x CD-RW writers will be around 37x, 5.5MB/s.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Nope, I haven't seen any 12x media.

I just noticed something nice about my Cyberdrive 36x12x48 writer. CloneCD starts burning on the Cyberdrive 12X CDRW disc at 12.78x and after 20 seconds increases to 14.19x where it stays for the remainder of the burn.

I definitely have to find some 12x CDRW discs.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, I only have old 4X media so I haven't tried 10X discs in the Cyberdrive.

It would be nice if I could get the same 14X+ speeds from 10x media as with the 12X freebie that came with the Cyberdrive.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
What ticks me off is that 40X CD-Rs and 12X CD-RWs are seemingly impossible to find. I didn't buy a 40X burner to run it at 32X! Sure, I can burn most of my CDs at 40X but I'd feel more comfortable with 40X media.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That brings up a question. What is it about CDR media that makes it suitable for 16X, 24X, 32X, etc? Are there significant chemical differences?

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
That brings up a question. What is it about CDR media that makes it suitable for 16X, 24X, 32X, etc? Are there significant chemical differences?

Yes is the answer according to what I have read from DigiTimes recently. Production of 40x and 48x CD-R discs takes some change in material and process or something like that.

48x-rated CD-R from CMC and Prodisc will soon hit shelves and the average price will be between $0.15 and $0.30.

goldendom

Distinguished
May 22, 2002
you keep on waitn and u will never buy any hardware. the bad boys are always making new things. 40x cd-rw is totally perfect. mine just needs a max. of say 3:20s and sometimes as low as 2:50-3:00min so burn a cd. but it usually takes just 3:00+ to burn a 700 mb cd. the new ones- 48x, are certainly not gonna make it in a 1min or 2. the fastest one would take say 2:30 or 2:40. boy can't u wait for 20secs.? most manufactures are now focusing on the rw speed rather than the recording speed and it doesn't take like 50yrs to burn a rw cd either. c'mon... even needing 5minx to burn a cd aint that long let alone 3:00+.... insert the cd, go to the kitchen to take a drink.. come back... and the thing is done.

Unleash da Power to Perform

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Right now a 12X CD-RW maintains the 12X speed throughout the burn. If the new 24X CDRW's repeat this then CD-RW's will be faster than CD-R's taking less than 2.5 minutes for 700 MB.