Cassette Deck - Indicators Out!

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
April 17, 2005 7:25:15 PM

Sure hope there's an easy fix here ---

I've got an older JVC dubbing cassette deck.
Has worked great for 10 or more years, I'm guessing.
But now that cassette decks of any kind are getting
hard to find, all the indicators/lights are out on
mine. Both transports work fine, and the input and
outputs are normal. Just nothing lights anywhere.
No counters, no direction indicators, nothing.

I have opened it up and looked for bad connections
and replaceable fuses. Nothing.

Suggestions anyone?

Of course I can live with the problem, but it would
be nice to have the indicators back.

thanks for looking,

chuck
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 7:25:16 PM

chuck wrote:

>Sure hope there's an easy fix here ---
>
>I've got an older JVC dubbing cassette deck.
>Has worked great for 10 or more years, I'm guessing.
>But now that cassette decks of any kind are getting
>hard to find, all the indicators/lights are out on
>mine. Both transports work fine, and the input and
>outputs are normal. Just nothing lights anywhere.
>No counters, no direction indicators, nothing.
>
>I have opened it up and looked for bad connections
>and replaceable fuses. Nothing.
>
>Suggestions anyone?

My first guess, and that's all it is, is that a power supply that is
used only to power the lamps has failed. To eliminate guessing, one
would have to obtain a schematic and/or service manual and perform a
proper diagnosis and, hopefully, repair.

>Of course I can live with the problem, but it would
>be nice to have the indicators back.
>
>thanks for looking,
>
>chuck

| two, one and one make one."
mkesti@gv.net | - The Who, Bargain
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 9:44:26 PM

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:25:15 GMT, chuck
<ccREMOVEiaffone@earthlinDELETEk.net> wrote:

>Sure hope there's an easy fix here ---
>
>I've got an older JVC dubbing cassette deck.
>Has worked great for 10 or more years, I'm guessing.
>But now that cassette decks of any kind are getting
>hard to find, all the indicators/lights are out on
>mine. Both transports work fine, and the input and
>outputs are normal. Just nothing lights anywhere.
>No counters, no direction indicators, nothing.
>
>I have opened it up and looked for bad connections
>and replaceable fuses. Nothing.
>
>Suggestions anyone?
>
>Of course I can live with the problem, but it would
>be nice to have the indicators back.
>
>thanks for looking,
>
>chuck
Did you measure the lamp voltage with a meter?
Lamps do burn out. As they burn out 1 by 1, the voltage might creep
up, making the rest burn out faster.

, _
, | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
, | )erek No JUNK in my email please
, ____|_/ragonsclaw dragonsclawJUNK@JUNKmindspring.com
, / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have you helped? http://www.grid.org
April 18, 2005 1:48:21 AM

In <vdv8e.11021$44.6000@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>, on 04/17/05
at 03:25 PM, chuck <ccREMOVEiaffone@earthlinDELETEk.net> said:

>Sure hope there's an easy fix here ---

>I've got an older JVC dubbing cassette deck.
>Has worked great for 10 or more years, I'm guessing.
>But now that cassette decks of any kind are getting
>hard to find, all the indicators/lights are out on
>mine. Both transports work fine, and the input and
>outputs are normal. Just nothing lights anywhere.
>No counters, no direction indicators, nothing.

>I have opened it up and looked for bad connections
>and replaceable fuses. Nothing.

>Suggestions anyone?

>Of course I can live with the problem, but it would
>be nice to have the indicators back.

I'm not familiar with your particular model. Back lighted LCD's (liquid
crystal displays) are very common. If that is what you have, there will
be a single lamp that illuminates the whole display from behind. A
burned out lamp is the most common failure mode.

An LCD will be relatively thin, appear to have no depth and, if you
shine a flashlight in from the front at the correct angle, you'll be
able to read the display. (with some difficulty)

Another common technology is vacuum fluorescent. These are much thicker
and will have an obvious glass envelope that encloses all of the
elements. A VFD will have some depth, but all you'll see by shining a
flashlight into it is a bunch of wires. The manufacturers I deal with
don't often use VFD's and for the models that do, I've never had a
display failure. Therefore, I don't know what a typical VFD failure
might be, but I suspect it would be a filament failure.

For the units I see 100% of the "dead display" units have LCD's and
99%+ of these have burned out lamps. There is always a chance of a bad
connection or a power supply problem, but that's not what I check
first.

spam: uce@ftc.gov
13> (Barry Mann)
April 18, 2005 1:49:42 AM

Steve Urbach wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:25:15 GMT, chuck
> <ccREMOVEiaffone@earthlinDELETEk.net> wrote:
>

>>Sure hope there's an easy fix here ---
>>
>>I've got an older JVC dubbing cassette deck.
>>Has worked great for 10 or more years, I'm guessing.
>>But now that cassette decks of any kind are getting
>>hard to find, all the indicators/lights are out on
>>mine. Both transports work fine, and the input and
>>outputs are normal. Just nothing lights anywhere.
>>No counters, no direction indicators, nothing.
>>
>>I have opened it up and looked for bad connections
>>and replaceable fuses. Nothing.
>>
>>Suggestions anyone?
>>
>>Of course I can live with the problem, but it would
>>be nice to have the indicators back.
>>
>>thanks for looking,
>>
>>chuck
>
> Did you measure the lamp voltage with a meter?
> Lamps do burn out. As they burn out 1 by 1, the voltage might creep
> up, making the rest burn out faster.

Ooops, forgot to mention, these ain't lamps per se.
Rather, it's a digital display sorta thing. Seems
to be a unified "chunk" attached by ribbon cables
to the MoBo of the deck.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 1:49:43 AM

chuck wrote:
> Steve Urbach wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:25:15 GMT, chuck
>> <ccREMOVEiaffone@earthlinDELETEk.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Sure hope there's an easy fix here ---
>>>
>>> I've got an older JVC dubbing cassette deck.
>>> Has worked great for 10 or more years, I'm guessing.
>>> But now that cassette decks of any kind are getting
>>> hard to find, all the indicators/lights are out on
>>> mine. Both transports work fine, and the input and
>>> outputs are normal. Just nothing lights anywhere.
>>> No counters, no direction indicators, nothing.
>>>
>>> I have opened it up and looked for bad connections
>>> and replaceable fuses. Nothing.
>>>
>>> Suggestions anyone?
>>>
>>> Of course I can live with the problem, but it would
>>> be nice to have the indicators back.
>>>
>>> thanks for looking,
>>>
>>> chuck
>>
>> Did you measure the lamp voltage with a meter?
>> Lamps do burn out. As they burn out 1 by 1, the voltage might creep
>> up, making the rest burn out faster.
>>

> Ooops, forgot to mention, these ain't lamps per se.
> Rather, it's a digital display sorta thing. Seems
> to be a unified "chunk" attached by ribbon cables
> to the MoBo of the deck.

Possibly solder connections at the FL tube - if that's what it uses, or lack
of a -30 volt line, or no filament voltage, usually around 3 volt. It's even
possible the tube itself is bad - it happens.

Mark Z.
April 19, 2005 7:51:42 PM

I have taken out the offending display panel
to reveal, behind the very thin display, a
fuse-looking cylinder mounted in a
fuse-like holder. It's about 1/4" diameter,
and about 1 1/8" long, and is marked
12V 2A on both chrome end caps. The middle
of the cylinder looks to be a frosted
plastic like substance.

Is this a fuse or the light bulb?

OBTW - the tape deck is a JVC model
JVCTD-W999 dual cassette deck.

The small circuit-board on which the
fuse/bulb is mounted is about 1" square and
has these markings: JVCK A4VO and
VMW2698 B.

Any help? What is it and where can I get a
replacement??

thanks again,

chuck
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 4:37:57 AM

In <426529F4.5040702@earthlinDELETEk.net>, on 04/19/05
at 03:51 PM, chuck <ccREMOVEiaffone@earthlinDELETEk.net> said:

>I have taken out the offending display panel
>to reveal, behind the very thin display, a
>fuse-looking cylinder mounted in a
>fuse-like holder. It's about 1/4" diameter,
>and about 1 1/8" long, and is marked
>12V 2A on both chrome end caps. The middle
>of the cylinder looks to be a frosted
>plastic like substance.

>Is this a fuse or the light bulb?

If it has no glass, it's a fuse. Unfortunately, you can't easily tell
if it is blown because you can't see through the ceramic housing.
You'll need to measure something. The easiest check will be with an
Ohmmeter. The fuse will have a low resistance, well below 10 Ohms. (Be
sure to have the deck unplugged from the power outlet while you measure
the fuse.)

>OBTW - the tape deck is a JVC model
>JVCTD-W999 dual cassette deck.

>The small circuit-board on which the
>fuse/bulb is mounted is about 1" square and
>has these markings: JVCK A4VO and
>VMW2698 B.

A lamp will illuminate the back side of the LED display panel. Usually,
there is some sort of white frosted plastic diffuser or metal reflector
that will promote uniform illumination of the display.

>Any help? What is it and where can I get a
>replacement??

More likely, this 1 1/8" device is the main fuse for the unit and you
would have no tape motion if the fuse was blown. You can easily follow
the wires to the device and prove that it has no direct connection to
the display. (more than likely, it will connect to the transformer)

spam: uce@ftc.gov
13> (Barry Mann)
April 20, 2005 12:30:48 PM

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:37:57 -0400, Barry Mann <zzzz@zzzz.zzz> wrote:

>A lamp will illuminate the back side of the LED display panel. Usually,
>there is some sort of white frosted plastic diffuser or metal reflector
>that will promote uniform illumination of the display.

What the hell are you talking about? LEDs generate their own light. Each
segment has an LED. There is no "lamp" that "illuminates the back side of the
LED display panel".
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 2:13:34 PM

"TCS" <The-Central-Scrutinizer@p.o.b.o.x.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:37:57 -0400, Barry Mann <zzzz@zzzz.zzz> wrote:
>
>>A lamp will illuminate the back side of the LED display panel. Usually,
>>there is some sort of white frosted plastic diffuser or metal reflector
>>that will promote uniform illumination of the display.
>
> What the hell are you talking about? LEDs generate their own light. Each
> segment has an LED. There is no "lamp" that "illuminates the back side of
> the
> LED display panel".

When some people type LCD it comes out LED, it's a finger not following the
mind thing. I had a spell checker that would do this a long time ago and
have made the mistake myself.

Chad
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 3:14:50 PM

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:13:34 -0500, Chad Wahls <cwahls@uiuc.edu> wrote:

>"TCS" <The-Central-Scrutinizer@p.o.b.o.x.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:37:57 -0400, Barry Mann <zzzz@zzzz.zzz> wrote:
>>
>>>A lamp will illuminate the back side of the LED display panel. Usually,
>>>there is some sort of white frosted plastic diffuser or metal reflector
>>>that will promote uniform illumination of the display.
>>
>> What the hell are you talking about? LEDs generate their own light. Each
>> segment has an LED. There is no "lamp" that "illuminates the back side of
>> the
>> LED display panel".

>When some people type LCD it comes out LED, it's a finger not following the
>mind thing. I had a spell checker that would do this a long time ago and
>have made the mistake myself.

Well... that's very different.
Never mind!

</Emily Latela>
April 20, 2005 3:22:03 PM

Nope, it's pretty definitely the bulb for
the display. The glass is "wrapped" in a plastic
sleeve, and there is a reflective patch inside.

On second look, the bulb is marked 12V0.2A,
so it's 12 volts at .2 amps.

I've found some similar bulbs on the net, but
nothing with this rating. I'm gonna call some
local repair shops today, but I'm guessing
with no luck.

How can I find a part number for an obviously
replaceable part such as this?

Oh yes, I tried MCMELECTRONICS but could not
find this bulb.

thanks again

chuck
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 3:22:04 PM

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:22:03 GMT, chuck <ccREMOVEiaffone@earthlinDELETEk.net> wrote:
>Nope, it's pretty definitely the bulb for
>the display. The glass is "wrapped" in a plastic
>sleeve, and there is a reflective patch inside.

>On second look, the bulb is marked 12V0.2A,
>so it's 12 volts at .2 amps.

>I've found some similar bulbs on the net, but
>nothing with this rating. I'm gonna call some
>local repair shops today, but I'm guessing
>with no luck.

The .2 amp rating isn't critical. You need any bulb that'll
run on 12V and generate a reasonable level of light. Anything
in the ballpark (0.1A to 0.3A) should work.

http://www.mouser.com/?Ne=400&handler=data.listcategory...*12v*%2b*lamp*&terms=12v+lamp&crc=false&N=410&Ns=SField
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&handler=data.listcateg...*606CM7715*&N=0&crc=true
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 11:42:23 PM

> What are you talking about? LEDs generate their own light.

Presumably that was a typo (or "thinko") for LCD.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 5:28:15 AM

In <slrnd6cmc8.faa.The-Central-Scrutinizer@linux.client.comcast.net>,
on 04/20/05
at 08:30 AM, TCS <The-Central-Scrutinizer@p.o.b.o.x.com> said:

>On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:37:57 -0400, Barry Mann <zzzz@zzzz.zzz> wrote:

>>A lamp will illuminate the back side of the LED display panel. Usually,
>>there is some sort of white frosted plastic diffuser or metal reflector
>>that will promote uniform illumination of the display.

>What the hell are you talking about? LEDs generate their own light.
>Each segment has an LED. There is no "lamp" that "illuminates the
>back side of the LED display panel".

UGH -- Typo Should be "LCD" not "LED"

spam: uce@ftc.gov
13> (Barry Mann)
April 21, 2005 5:44:06 AM

In <slrnd6cml1.faa.The-Central-Scrutinizer@linux.client.comcast.net>,
on 04/20/05
at 08:35 AM, TCS <The-Central-Scrutinizer@p.o.b.o.x.com> said:

>On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:22:03 GMT, chuck
><ccREMOVEiaffone@earthlinDELETEk.net> wrote: >Nope, it's pretty
>definitely the bulb for
>>the display. The glass is "wrapped" in a plastic
>>sleeve, and there is a reflective patch inside.

[ ... ]

>>I've found some similar bulbs on the net, but
>>nothing with this rating. I'm gonna call some
>>local repair shops today, but I'm guessing
>>with no luck.

>The .2 amp rating isn't critical. You need any bulb that'll run on
>12V and generate a reasonable level of light. Anything in the
>ballpark (0.1A to 0.3A) should work.

I'm a bit more conservative.

.2A x 12V = 2.4 Watt
.3A x 12V = 3.6 Watt

The extra current draw from the power supply may not be a big deal, but
the extra heat will be a problem in an enclosed space. You could
easily overheat and discolor that plastic sleeve.

On a quick search I did not find the exact lamp, but I did turn up a
0.250A lamp. Try searching for "fuse lamp".

In this situation, I would not substitute a 0.250A lamp for a 0.200A
lamp. If I was in a bind, I may trim the current with an external
resistor (this will cause a slight color shift -- and I must be careful
about heat dissipation in that resistor) or I may use a lamp with a
slightly higher voltage rating (this will also cause a color shift).

I don't work with JVC, but many manufacturers provide a means for
consumers to purchase parts. Try contacting JVC. They may sell parts or
be able to point you to a local repair person who may allow you to
purchase parts.

Please don't be too mean to the repair station if they won't sell parts
to you. At least 90% of the time I (reluctantly) agree to sell parts,
there is a problem of one sort or another and my "good will" could
easily cost me several times what the part is worth in wasted time. At
the very least I'll have to attempt to explain why the cheap part is so
expensive. (At whatever hourly rate you might charge for your time
spent working for someone else, how much has this lamp cost already?)

spam: uce@ftc.gov
13> (Barry Mann)