Expanding Network

spectreone3

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Hello. I currently have a cable modem and a Linksys WNDR3700 wireless router. Between gaming systems, vonage, DirecTV... I have used all available ports on the router.

What steps can I take to expand wired access? The wireless is needed as my wife's laptop, my iPad and our printer all access it.

Thanks in advance!

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012
A switch is used in cases like this. It splits 1 port from your router into 4+ depending on what switch you get.

For it to work properly either:

a) Make sure the DHCP server is enable on the router and DHCP is enable on the hosts (not static IP)

or

b) Assign a static IP address in the same network as router on each host, and specify the default gateway

spectreone3

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Thanks. So in my configuration it would be the Modem-->Router-->Switch (connected to one of the available LAN ports on the Router)?

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Yea the switch plugs into only 1 port on the router, so you still have all the remaining router ports free + the extra ports on the switch.

Also make sure it's a switch with 'gigabit Ethernet ports' since your router has them also it will provide better performance over 100BASE.