Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Linear and circular feeds: HowTo

Tags:
Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 10:34:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

I currently have a Satwork ST3618 slaved to a 4DTV receiver on a 10
foot BUD using linear C and Ku band Lnbs (C - 03700 to 04200 and Ku -
11700 to 12200 ghz) mounted on a Astrotel (Precision) PM93C/Ku
electronic feed horn with adjustable scaler..

Reception is great with 4DTV and Satwork on both C and Ku.

Now I would like to receive circular along with linear feeds just to
experiment, especially with the Satwork. I really do not want to
mount a new dish just to receive circular feeds.

1 - Do I have to change the existing feed or can it be modified?
2 - Do I have to change the existing Lnbs?

Thanks for any info
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 4:17:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 06:34:32 GMT, "\"gw%n" <WePay@TheySpend.gov>
wrote:

>I currently have a Satwork ST3618 slaved to a 4DTV receiver on a 10
>foot BUD using linear C and Ku band Lnbs (C - 03700 to 04200 and Ku -
>11700 to 12200 ghz) mounted on a Astrotel (Precision) PM93C/Ku
>electronic feed horn with adjustable scaler..
>
>Reception is great with 4DTV and Satwork on both C and Ku.
>
>Now I would like to receive circular along with linear feeds just to
>experiment, especially with the Satwork. I really do not want to
>mount a new dish just to receive circular feeds.
>
>1 - Do I have to change the existing feed or can it be modified?
>2 - Do I have to change the existing Lnbs?
>
>Thanks for any info

Depends what you want to receive. If you want to receive DBS, you need
to side mount a DBS LNBF. For Circular C-band, you might be able to
add a wedge or slab.
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 7:56:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

"\"gw%n" <WePay@TheySpend.gov> wrote in
news:48dk709khb456o7bqqk1u7tffdne64na9o@4ax.com:

> I currently have a Satwork ST3618 slaved to a 4DTV receiver on a 10
> foot BUD using linear C and Ku band Lnbs (C - 03700 to 04200 and Ku -
> 11700 to 12200 ghz) mounted on a Astrotel (Precision) PM93C/Ku
> electronic feed horn with adjustable scaler..
>
> Reception is great with 4DTV and Satwork on both C and Ku.
>
> Now I would like to receive circular along with linear feeds just to
> experiment, especially with the Satwork. I really do not want to
> mount a new dish just to receive circular feeds.
>
> 1 - Do I have to change the existing feed or can it be modified?
> 2 - Do I have to change the existing Lnbs?
>
> Thanks for any info
>

+++++++++++++++++

Back in December I bought a complete Fortec Lifetime FTA system. It
included a Universal-1 LNBF which works fine for the H-V polarized
signals from T5, G10R, AMC3, etc. I could even receive a couple of
"Banner Channels" from the EchoStar satellites which use L-R
polarization, but I could not receive the music channels from EchoStar
which I understood to be "in the clear".

..... so I went down to Walmart and bought a replacement DirecTV LNBF for
$39.95. I took a couple of plastic clamps and attached the Circular LNBF
to the side of the Linear LNBF. It works great but since it is slightly
off center, I have to compensate by aiming the dish 3 degrees East of
where it is supposed to be pointed. I get a signal strength of 80 and a
quality of 98% with a Fortec 90cm dish.

There is an example of this technique at

http://sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/100cm-dish.htm

I still have not ordered a switch so I have a plug-on quick connect plug
on the end of the coax. In order to switch LNBF's I have to walk out into
the backyard and swap the plug between LNBF's, but I don't use the
circular polarized LNBF very much so it is not that big of a deal.

I have a DirecTV setup and I subscribe to the "Total Choice" package. The
dish is either aimed at 101 or 110. I have been planning to connect my
DirecTV receiver to the circular polarized LNBF and see if anything else
is available from the other DirecTV satellites but that is on my future
todo list.

Good Luck,

PON
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 10:03:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

Isn't there a single universal LNBF that can Receive both Linear & circular
polarizations ?

If not, then it will make an excellent development opportunity for LNBF
manufacturers.


Gary Tait <classicsat@yahoo.cominvalid> wrote in message
news:95gl701nct1kc3tsr6imsqapr31sq2in71@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 06:34:32 GMT, "\"gw%n" <WePay@TheySpend.gov>
> wrote:
>
> >I currently have a Satwork ST3618 slaved to a 4DTV receiver on a 10
> >foot BUD using linear C and Ku band Lnbs (C - 03700 to 04200 and Ku -
> >11700 to 12200 ghz) mounted on a Astrotel (Precision) PM93C/Ku
> >electronic feed horn with adjustable scaler..
> >
> >Reception is great with 4DTV and Satwork on both C and Ku.
> >
> >Now I would like to receive circular along with linear feeds just to
> >experiment, especially with the Satwork. I really do not want to
> >mount a new dish just to receive circular feeds.
> >
> >1 - Do I have to change the existing feed or can it be modified?
> >2 - Do I have to change the existing Lnbs?
> >
> >Thanks for any info
>
> Depends what you want to receive. If you want to receive DBS, you need
> to side mount a DBS LNBF. For Circular C-band, you might be able to
> add a wedge or slab.
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 10:06:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

Is this valid for Dishnetwork LNBF's as well?

Does one have to mount another LNBF for Dishnetwork signals to receive
circular polarization signals?

If so what specific LNBF do I need to buy?

Are all Dish network signals circularly polarized?

Please advise,

Thank you,

Pseud O. Nym <pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote in message
news:Xns94C96F6AC9C3Dblurryvision@24.93.44.119...
> "\"gw%n" <WePay@TheySpend.gov> wrote in
> news:48dk709khb456o7bqqk1u7tffdne64na9o@4ax.com:
>
> > I currently have a Satwork ST3618 slaved to a 4DTV receiver on a 10
> > foot BUD using linear C and Ku band Lnbs (C - 03700 to 04200 and Ku -
> > 11700 to 12200 ghz) mounted on a Astrotel (Precision) PM93C/Ku
> > electronic feed horn with adjustable scaler..
> >
> > Reception is great with 4DTV and Satwork on both C and Ku.
> >
> > Now I would like to receive circular along with linear feeds just to
> > experiment, especially with the Satwork. I really do not want to
> > mount a new dish just to receive circular feeds.
> >
> > 1 - Do I have to change the existing feed or can it be modified?
> > 2 - Do I have to change the existing Lnbs?
> >
> > Thanks for any info
> >
>
> +++++++++++++++++
>
> Back in December I bought a complete Fortec Lifetime FTA system. It
> included a Universal-1 LNBF which works fine for the H-V polarized
> signals from T5, G10R, AMC3, etc. I could even receive a couple of
> "Banner Channels" from the EchoStar satellites which use L-R
> polarization, but I could not receive the music channels from EchoStar
> which I understood to be "in the clear".
>
> .... so I went down to Walmart and bought a replacement DirecTV LNBF for
> $39.95. I took a couple of plastic clamps and attached the Circular LNBF
> to the side of the Linear LNBF. It works great but since it is slightly
> off center, I have to compensate by aiming the dish 3 degrees East of
> where it is supposed to be pointed. I get a signal strength of 80 and a
> quality of 98% with a Fortec 90cm dish.
>
> There is an example of this technique at
>
> http://sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/100cm-dish.htm
>
> I still have not ordered a switch so I have a plug-on quick connect plug
> on the end of the coax. In order to switch LNBF's I have to walk out into
> the backyard and swap the plug between LNBF's, but I don't use the
> circular polarized LNBF very much so it is not that big of a deal.
>
> I have a DirecTV setup and I subscribe to the "Total Choice" package. The
> dish is either aimed at 101 or 110. I have been planning to connect my
> DirecTV receiver to the circular polarized LNBF and see if anything else
> is available from the other DirecTV satellites but that is on my future
> todo list.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> PON
>
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 6:14:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

"Jay Avanessian" <cpanca@earthlink.net> wrote in news:%rLec.5531$l75.2269
@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> Is this valid for Dishnetwork LNBF's as well?
>
> Does one have to mount another LNBF for Dishnetwork signals to receive
> circular polarization signals?
>
> If so what specific LNBF do I need to buy?
>

For circularly polarized signals, DirecTV and DishNetwork LNBF's should
be interchangeable. Walmart only carries the RCA replacement LNBF for
DirecTV but it works fine for Dish Network signals. Either DirecTV or
DishNetwork LNBF should work, but the TV signals are encrypted. Some of
the music channels on EchoStar-7 are "in the clear" and I have seen a
couple of other channels which were unencrypted as well. During the
DishNet/Viacom limbo a few weeks ago there was a channel which gave a few
lines of info as to the status of things. There is another "open" channel
which just says "Congradulations. You have a Dish 500 System" but it has
some very nice music playing in the background.

> Are all Dish network signals circularly polarized?

No not all. According to Lyngsat, EchoStar-9 at 121W and AMC-2 at 105W
are linear polarized.

According to http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish105.shtml

the AMC-2 satellite only carries various local channels, but they do list
a couple of "promo" channels which may be "in the clear". I have not
tried them but they may have talking on them or they may have some nice
music.

According to http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish121.shtml

the EchoStar-9 satellite carries a lot of local channels and some ethnic
channels, but I don't see any "promo" channels listed. It appears that
everything there is encrypted.

Good Luck,

PON
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 8:18:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

Hey PON, I guess I've missed a clue somewhere, where does lyngsat
indicate circular or linear polarization? Thanks.

"Pseud O. Nym" <pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94CA5E23FD0C0blurryvision@24.93.43.119>...

snip
> No not all. According to Lyngsat, EchoStar-9 at 121W and AMC-2 at 105W
> are linear polarized.
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 9:20:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:56:02 GMT, "Pseud O. Nym"
<pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote:


>I have a DirecTV setup and I subscribe to the "Total Choice" package. The
>dish is either aimed at 101 or 110. I have been planning to connect my
>DirecTV receiver to the circular polarized LNBF and see if anything else
>is available from the other DirecTV satellites but that is on my future
>todo list.
>
>Good Luck,

A stick DircetTV system is aimed at 101. Their seondry slots are 110
and 119. If you have a pre-sat C (110) system, you can hook your DVB
receiver up to the dish, turn the 22Khz tone on, and tune the 119
satellite.
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 9:22:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 06:03:48 GMT, "Jay Avanessian"
<cpanca@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Isn't there a single universal LNBF that can Receive both Linear & circular
>polarizations ?
>

Not that I nkow of. The means to make an LNBF receiver circular
negatively affect linear performance, so I doubt you would see any.

>If not, then it will make an excellent development opportunity for LNBF
>manufacturers.
>
>
>Gary Tait <classicsat@yahoo.cominvalid> wrote in message
>news:95gl701nct1kc3tsr6imsqapr31sq2in71@4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 06:34:32 GMT, "\"gw%n" <WePay@TheySpend.gov>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I currently have a Satwork ST3618 slaved to a 4DTV receiver on a 10
>> >foot BUD using linear C and Ku band Lnbs (C - 03700 to 04200 and Ku -
>> >11700 to 12200 ghz) mounted on a Astrotel (Precision) PM93C/Ku
>> >electronic feed horn with adjustable scaler..
>> >
>> >Reception is great with 4DTV and Satwork on both C and Ku.
>> >
>> >Now I would like to receive circular along with linear feeds just to
>> >experiment, especially with the Satwork. I really do not want to
>> >mount a new dish just to receive circular feeds.
>> >
>> >1 - Do I have to change the existing feed or can it be modified?
>> >2 - Do I have to change the existing Lnbs?
>> >
>> >Thanks for any info
>>
>> Depends what you want to receive. If you want to receive DBS, you need
>> to side mount a DBS LNBF. For Circular C-band, you might be able to
>> add a wedge or slab.
>
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 11:24:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

Went to SkyVision and they have a c/ku/dss feed that sells for $100
for the BUD. Way over priced, I am sure there are others that sell it
for less.

Now how to hookup the ku lnb and Dss lnb on the BUD using the same ku
cable going into my FTA receiver and how to switch from Ku to Dss.

Anyone?
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 4:40:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

rose122550DONTSPAM@yahoo.com (rose) wrote in
news:c9aa14bb.0404131518.668d349@posting.google.com:

> Hey PON, I guess I've missed a clue somewhere, where does lyngsat
> indicate circular or linear polarization? Thanks.

+++++++++++++++++

I will answer by giving an example of each.

First check the URL for EchoStar 6/8 at 110W :

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish110.shtml

Look in the left-most column labeled "Freq TP". Notice that each
frequency is suffixed with either the letter "R" or "L". The letters R &
L stand for RightHand Circular Polarization and LeftHand Circular
Polarization.

Now check the URL for EchoStar 9 at 121°W:

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish121.shtml

Notice that each frequency is suffixed with either the letter "H" or the
letter "V". The letters H & V stand for Horizontal and Vertical which is
linear polarization.

PON
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 6:18:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

¿Has anyone tried to attach a DBS LNBF to the feedhorn of a BUD? I
would love to get some of those audio channels.
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 11:23:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

"gw%n wrote:
> Went to SkyVision and they have a c/ku/dss feed that sells for $100
> for the BUD. Way over priced, I am sure there are others that sell it
> for less.
>
> Now how to hookup the ku lnb and Dss lnb on the BUD using the same ku
> cable going into my FTA receiver and how to switch from Ku to Dss.
>
> Anyone?

22khz switch is one way. How do you currently switch C/KU?
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 11:30:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 07:23:05 GMT, Zoyburg <rats@attib.com> wrote:

>"gw%n wrote:
>> Went to SkyVision and they have a c/ku/dss feed that sells for $100
>> for the BUD. Way over priced, I am sure there are others that sell it
>> for less.
>>
>> Now how to hookup the ku lnb and Dss lnb on the BUD using the same ku
>> cable going into my FTA receiver and how to switch from Ku to Dss.
>>
>> Anyone?
>
>22khz switch is one way. How do you currently switch C/KU?

Currently the 4DTV is the master and the FTA is the slave.

When the 4DTV moves the BUD to either a C or Ku sat, the 4DTV tunes
all transponders correctly. If I turn on the FTA while the BUD is at
a C or KU sat, the FTA receiver will tune all transponders correctly.
Hope my explanation was clear.
!