JPWRana

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
Which is the best Cable modem / NIC combo? I currently have a d-link standard cheap 10/100 NIC with a Terayon Pro Cable Modem... i think there has to be a better combo out there... right?

And also, what if i were to use one of those new 1000Mbps NIC's... are they better than the 10/100 NIC's? In which ways are they better or worse than the 10/100 NIC's? Are there any 1000Mbps (routers + hub's) boxes out there? If so, would it be worth it with a new cable modem? Or is my terayon pro good enough?

If it may help, my cable service provider is Adelphia, and I live in the Los Angeles, CA area... specifically, near El Monte.

I COULD REALLY USE SOME HELP HERE!!!

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Terayon modems are considered one of the best available as for the nic the one you have is fine there are a few others notably a 3com model that do some of the processing onboard but this just helps your cpu a little .. since cable dosent exceed 10mbps there isn't much room for improvement other than changing from adelphia to a better provider like optimum online ( they run at 8 MB down and 1 MB up on avg.)

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
No fair! I want 1M upload! My ADSL only does 1.5M dl, and 128k upload :( :( :( :(

Can get enhanced for $129 more/mo, taking me to 6M dl, but still not much of an ul, @356k.

No cable modems round yonder...too far from "civilization"

While wearing syran-wrap speedos, my shrink had the nerve to tell me "I can cleary see yer nuts!"

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
yeah I'm jealous of the opimum online guys too I have time warner road runner and get "only" 2 mb down and 385 up

lagger

<font color=blue><b> Roll another bummer and leave it on the sideboard Catherwood </font color=blue></b>

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
On-board processing only works in WinXP/2000 and is not turned on by default. You have to use a registry hack to get it to work:

<A HREF="http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/954" target="_new">http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/954</A>