Your question

Network visibility

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • PCS
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 17, 2012 4:46:24 PM

I have three PCs, Win 7 Home Prem. x64. All are part of the WORKGROUP, on a Work network. Network discovery is on, filesharing is on, 128bit encryption is used, password protected sharing is off. Anyone on the network can access public folders. Media streaming is on. Windows manages any homegroup connections, there are none. AVG with is on, Windows firewall is also in use.

The PCs are connected via Wireless N through a Linksys WRT610N (dual band) router. MAC filter set to allow only these office machines.

From one computer, viewing the network map shows itself behind an unknown device and shows the other two as part of the regular network. From the other two they see eachother but not the first computer. All other devices can access and be found on the network.

None of the PCs show up in the Network menu, not even on their own systems. Ping returns successful. They can be connected to by typing the address into the location bar. This is mostly fine for me except for some programs which need the computers to show up in Network.

Please advise...anyone. I am stuck.

More about : network visibility

May 19, 2012 9:44:21 AM

Try this as it often solves the problem on Win 7 networks -- on each machine insure that a user group Everyone is added to the security tab (that is in addition to changes in the sharing tab) -- just right click on the drive (or a folder on a drive), properties, security tab, edit, add, then add a group called Everyone, and set their allowed activities with the check boxes.
m
l
May 21, 2012 12:28:48 AM

Well, the shares are already set up and access is there through the location bar. Just type in \\computer and you get there or the full path. No problem there. What I actually require, which is where I am stuck, is that the computers show up in the "Network" menu, under the "Computers" category. I cannot seem to get them to appear no matter what I try.
m
l
!