Help me tweak my wireless network to have a "wired sub-network"

mkil5

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
OK, here is the deal, I am having to move my wireless router around, it is going to a more centralized part of the house. This means that there will not be any devices wired directly to it.

However on my PC I have a long extension for my access point, and I will be able to get a fairly good wireless connection. Now here is where my problem comes in: My PC is very close to my video game consoles, devices, etc. I have an old B router laying around.

What I am wanting to do is this:
Since my PC is going to be getting a good connection, my other devices will be getting questionable wireless service, at best.
So how would I go about using the wireless signal that I get with my PC, and use it while setting up a "sub-network" of the house so I will be able to share files and internet with my devices using my old B router (using ethernet on the B router, I am not trying to use the B router as a wireless bridge, I just want to use it as an ethernet hub/switch)
If someone can please help me out it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Also if I just bought a switch, would I be able to just plug everything up and work as I want? I am worried about using a second router as they assign IPs etc.

mkil5

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
Thanks, and I have been looking at switches. Which leads to this: say my Xbox is hooked up to the switch, the PC is hooked up to the switch. The PC is also hooked up to the internet via wifi.

Can the Xbox get on the internet?