Homebrew selector

Last response: in Home Audio
April 22, 2005 8:51:40 PM

I need to route my speaker output on my computer sound card to one of 4
different outputs. I would like s straight pass through of the signal,
just like in stores where you can demo several typs of speakers by
pressing the red button. The ultimate goal for me would be to make a
speaker selector that takes a standard 1/8" input and route it to one
of 4 1/8" jack outputs.

I think a rotary type switch will suffice for this, but I'm not sure of
the correct type. I've read about DPDT, 4-pole, etc and it's all greek
to me. I think what I need is called line-level output??

What I do know is that the signal delieverd by the 1/8" cables is in 3
wires L/R and Common.

Can someone give me some guidance on this?

What type of rotary switch should I be looking for?

Are there some good online stores where I could order the switch,
plugs, wire etc. that you can recommend?

Are there any gotchas I need to be aware of? One pair of speakers is an
expensive pair of powered studio monitors that I would hate to fry.

Nelson

More about : homebrew selector

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 3:33:19 PM

No one?? Is there a kind soul who can direct me to a more appropriate
resource?
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 1:53:10 AM

On 22 Apr 2005 16:51:40 -0700, NFXBeats@gmail.com wrote:

>I need to route my speaker output on my computer sound card to one of 4
>different outputs. I would like s straight pass through of the signal,
>just like in stores where you can demo several typs of speakers by
>pressing the red button. The ultimate goal for me would be to make a
>speaker selector that takes a standard 1/8" input and route it to one
>of 4 1/8" jack outputs.
>
>I think a rotary type switch will suffice for this, but I'm not sure of
>the correct type. I've read about DPDT, 4-pole, etc and it's all greek
>to me. I think what I need is called line-level output??
>
>What I do know is that the signal delieverd by the 1/8" cables is in 3
>wires L/R and Common.
>
>Can someone give me some guidance on this?
>
>What type of rotary switch should I be looking for?
>
>Are there some good online stores where I could order the switch,
>plugs, wire etc. that you can recommend?
>
>Are there any gotchas I need to be aware of? One pair of speakers is an
>expensive pair of powered studio monitors that I would hate to fry.

I imagine you're switching a line output, not a speaker output. Few
soundcards today have on-board amplifiers. They generally offer a low
level signal that requires external amplification.

You should be able to find something off-the-shelf at your local audio
and electronics store. As it will probably be designed for domestic
audio use, it will very likely have phono connectors. But adaptors
are available. Or you can make up suitable cables.

You won't do any harm by momentarily shorting the output, to either
source or speakers.
!