Reformatting Woes

G

Ok, someone by some means downloaded a virus that spread through my home network. Eventually it hit my computer rendering it unbootable, even in safe mode. I've tried reformattion but the proccess is stopped by a boot virus. Ok, so i took out the IBM low level formatting software for my 75GXP 64gb hdd. wiped it completely. Now its fine, except instead of being ~64gb it keeps wanting to format at 32gb... Any suggestions?? I cant even load the IBM formatting software because it gives and error, i am forced to use the Win2k formattin feature. how can i recover from this and format it (preferably NTFS) with the full 64gb??

G

Wouldn't be able to tell you because it gives an error when i try to load it up, same with maxblast and western digital's software... And in that case, would there be some sort of 3rd party software that i could use to achieve this?

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
IBM Has a software suite called: "Drive Fitness Test" 3.0. Go to the IBM website www.storage.ibm.com and look for it and download it. You will have to do this on a system that is running WinME or Win98...so you can run from DOS...run the executable and it will create a bootable diskette. On that diskette...the program will run and one of the many options is to erase boot sector of the drive...do that. Then, erase the drive. Try to repartition the drive using a Win98 SE boot disk or a WinME bootdisk and see if you get the whole drive back. You should be able to partition and choose to use maximum size of the drive. Reboot and run FDISK again and check the size of the partition...it should be the full 60 GB...

Bob