Sign in with
Your question

Hyundai Q17

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 18, 2003 3:27:45 PM

Ok here's my story (so far) about ordering from there:

I place the order online and receive a confirmation. A few days go by, and i don't receive any shipping confirmation email, so I give them a call. I am told that ComputerNirvana has gone out of business, and that I won't be getting my monitor.

HOWEVER, a couple of days later I get a phone call from a guy named Steve, who asks me if I still want the monitor. I later find out that Steve claims to be the former webmaster for ComputerNirvana, and is working at a new distributor. Apparently he has access to the existing orders for CN, as well as the suppliers.

So I am taking a chance on this. I'll let everyone here know what happens.

-Imp
November 18, 2003 5:36:57 PM

Do they have a phone number that you can order over since their online is obviously NOT secure...

------------------------------------------
"It's a common conceit in games: play, die, reload, and ride the karmic wheel of kick-ass, until you get it right"
Related resources
November 18, 2003 6:11:22 PM

I talked to Scott at 800-789-3012, x6715.

You can try this at your own risk. Like I said, I will post again if and when I receive my monitor.

-Imp
November 18, 2003 6:29:37 PM

Yea...I would rather NOT go through them...and most likely wont, but Good Luck Anyway...

"It's a common conceit in games: play, die, reload, and ride the karmic wheel of kick-ass, until you get it right"
November 18, 2003 6:37:09 PM

Yeah, that's a bit scarry. That site above only sells 6 different Hyundai monitors, on the whole site!
November 18, 2003 6:59:11 PM

Well it's not THAT scary. The place is Bass Computers (www.basscomputers.com). The site says they only sell to resellers, but they do list some Hyundai monitors. So Scott's story isn't too (no pun intended) fishy.

-Imp
November 23, 2003 1:37:48 AM

For anyone who does not want to deal with all this crap and does not mind an Analog only Q17 Newegg is selling the Q17B-S (silver) for $409.00

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufa...

November 25, 2003 12:11:20 AM

Is the analog only version of it any worse in performance? I'd love to actually use the digital out on my Radeon 9800 Pro, but I don't know if it's possible to find a regular Q17 in the united states.
November 25, 2003 4:39:57 PM

There are only 2 places in the US that I know of that sell the Dual Connector Q17..

Outpost.com
&
BassComputers

Bass is a Distributor only BUT they will sell directly to a customer...the guy Scott sent me a form to fill out and he said it was fine...they have it cheaper but I personally didnt want to deal with all that and got it through Outpost...Outpost is actually getting a shipment of them in one Dec 1st.

November 25, 2003 5:06:49 PM

I went to Bass Computers and they don't have the Q17 on their site. I don't know if anyone has checked, but I really do want to know if there is any Performance or Picture Quality difference between the Q17 and the Q17-A or B
November 25, 2003 7:13:41 PM

You should call them....someone gave the number for it in this thread and ask for Scott...they have them...they got a shipment in Monday 24th..

I think the only differenve in Q17 (A, B) is the connectors...the Q17 has both while the ones usually with additional letters are VGA only..

November 26, 2003 3:02:06 AM

I mean like does the A or B variant do worse with games than the regular Q17, or is there any noticeable picture quality difference between the original and the A/B? If there isn't any difference I think I'll just go with the newegg variant.
November 26, 2003 2:49:01 PM

I talked to Scott again today. Apparently they already sold out again, and as of right now there are no more units coming from Hyundai. I still haven't received mine, but supposedly it was shipped on the 20th.

-Imp
November 26, 2003 3:12:51 PM

Baal-

As far as I know they all have the same screen. SO no difference. just the connectors and maybe the USB Hub is not present.

Imp-

Last I talked to him he said they had a shipment coming in last monday hope yours went out with it..I buckled and ordered from Outpost and mine shipped Yesterday.

December 1, 2003 6:51:50 PM

Does anyone know where to buy ANY version of the Q17? I ordered a Q17B from newegg, but literally within 24 hours of my order the Q17 was taken off the page. I'm wondering if I'm going to get it, and I'm trying to make sure I know where to get one if the newegg order falls through.
December 2, 2003 5:06:59 AM

Ok, I got the Q17S on Friday from Scott. It seems to be the one reviewed. Unfortunately, I don't think they have any more available right now. In keeping with tradition here, though, I'll give a brief mini-review of an item that no longer seems to be available to the public.

First off, yeah, FPS games seem pretty good. I played some BF1942, and it didn't make me naseous like it did when I tried to play on an Albatron L17ASD. However, text is kinda hard to read sometimes - especially black text. It's just too thin. I upped the DPI, which seems to help a bit, although it still could be better. The Albatron looked better than this in terms of legibility.

Also, the build quality is really on the poor side. The panel has a couple of noticeable creases or whatever on one side. I'm sure there's a technical term for this, but I don't know it. They don't really interfere with anything, but they are noticeable and a little annoying. And the stand is not very good, either. It tilts to one side, and I couldn't figure out anything to do to fix it. I ended up putting a pen underneath one corner to prop up the drooping side. It looks fine unless I need to jot something down.

So I guess if you just want a gaming monitor, this is pretty good. The respoonse time is excellent, but all in all this monitor could be a lot better. I think it would be a great idea to wait for the 12ms and better monitors that will eb arriving soon.

-Imp
!