Want a NAS drive to appear as a local drive

Jarrett Prior

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hello, I am currently using a backup program that I thought would back up from any location including a NAS drive but this is not the case. The backup program does not show the NAS drive directory... I was just wondering if there is a way of making a NAS drive appear as a local drive. I've mapped the drive and created symbolic links for it as well and it still does not appear. I was planning on using the iSCSI method but I believe my NAS does not support it. Any other ideas? :p

Jarrett Prior

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I also have tried using subst in CMD but I can't get it to select the mapped network drive, it says "Path not found".

EDIT: Ok I have managed to get it to create the virtual drive by using subst x: \\10.0.0.7\mycomputers but it does not appear in my computer but it appears in CMD when using the subst command... Any help?

Jarrett Prior

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I have now restarted my computer and this time it has worked and appeared in my computer as 'Disconnected Network Drive (X:)'. It is, however still accessible and when clicked on it takes me to my NAS' directory. I haven't tested it with the backup program yet but I am concerned that this still isn't going to work since it's still classed as a network drive.