DVB Signal Question

Tags:
Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
April 25, 2004 11:25:00 PM

I am trying to get a signal from DTV with my Vision DVB card using Prog DVB.
I know I can not decode Dave's singal, but I just wanted to check to make
sure the card is working (i.e. get a signal from a known good source) I get
90% on my DTV tuner, but only 15% on my DVB card through the same cable!

What Gives? Is there some special setting I need or should I be using
different software?

More about : dvb signal question

Anonymous
April 25, 2004 11:25:01 PM

DirecTV is not in DVB.
"Cameleon" <kc@large.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
ggUic.20334$YP5.1499976@attbi_s02...
> I am trying to get a signal from DTV with my Vision DVB card using Prog
DVB.
> I know I can not decode Dave's singal, but I just wanted to check to make
> sure the card is working (i.e. get a signal from a known good source) I
get
> 90% on my DTV tuner, but only 15% on my DVB card through the same cable!
>
> What Gives? Is there some special setting I need or should I be using
> different software?

April 25, 2004 11:35:57 PM

Also. Could someone post some pointers on the best way to get a new dish
alligned and picking up FTA birds.
Right now I just have a 18" direct tv dish, but I have a motor on the way
and would like to see what I can get without buying a new dish. I know its
not the best choice for FTA, just testing it out!

I have read alot of posts, but was wondering if there was any one sat that
was easiest to hit with the best FTA cable type channels or a best software
to help you aim in sats.

I am just getting started and could use some advice. Google has been kind
so far!

Thanks

"Cameleon" <kc@large.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to get a signal from DTV with my Vision DVB card using Prog
DVB.
> I know I can not decode Dave's singal, but I just wanted to check to make
> sure the card is working (i.e. get a signal from a known good source) I
get
> 90% on my DTV tuner, but only 15% on my DVB card through the same cable!
>
> What Gives? Is there some special setting I need or should I be using
> different software?

April 27, 2004 1:21:37 AM

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:25:00 GMT, "Cameleon" <kc@large.com> wrote:

>I am trying to get a signal from DTV with my Vision DVB card using Prog DVB.

That's because DirecTV is DSS, not DVB (they're similar, but incompatible).

If you want to see if your card is working, aim your dish at a satellite that's
transmitting in DVB format (e.g. one of the Echostar satellites at 110W or
119W). The only PCI card I know of that can properly receive and demodulate
DirecTV is a DirecPC PCI card.

--
Sloth is the first deadly sin.
April 28, 2004 3:29:46 AM

OK...I'll bite...what are the differences between DSS and DVB.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 1:52:19 PM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:29:46 -0700, "<©¿©>" <user@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>OK...I'll bite...what are the differences between DSS and DVB.

see http://www.coolstf.com/mpeg I think something like 176 vs 188 byte
packets, slightly differen modulation, and proprietary system packets.
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 1:12:43 AM

In alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb, Gary Tait said:

>>OK...I'll bite...what are the differences between DSS and DVB.
>
>see http://www.coolstf.com/mpeg I think something like 176 vs 188 byte
>packets, slightly differen modulation, and proprietary system packets.

Or, for even more technical detail, check out:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/020169582...

--
Sloth is the first deadly sin.
April 30, 2004 1:23:09 PM

THANKS,
HAD NO IDEA THAT DTV SIGNAL COULD NOT
EVEN BE DECTECTED WITH DVB AND DSS 18"
DOES THAT MEAN THAT DISH CANT PICK UP DSS?

"Scott in Aztlán" <slothkills@THEyahooOBVIOUS.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:25:00 GMT, "Cameleon" <kc@large.com> wrote:
>
> >I am trying to get a signal from DTV with my Vision DVB card using Prog
DVB.

> That's because DirecTV is DSS, not DVB (they're similar, but
incompatible).

> If you want to see if your card is working, aim your dish at a satellite
that's
> transmitting in DVB format (e.g. one of the Echostar satellites at 110W or
> 119W). The only PCI card I know of that can properly receive and
demodulate
> DirecTV is a DirecPC PCI card.
>
> --
> Sloth is the first deadly sin.
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 2:49:13 PM

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:23:09 GMT, "Cameleon" <kc@large.com> wrote:

>THANKS,
>HAD NO IDEA THAT DTV SIGNAL COULD NOT
>EVEN BE DECTECTED WITH DVB AND DSS 18"
>DOES THAT MEAN THAT DISH CANT PICK UP DSS?

It means a DVB receiver (or DVB-PCI card), cannot log onto a DirecTV
signal. That dish will however, with a DirecTV receiver.

!