Creative Dxr3 vs TV Out?

ScoobyWRX

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Newbie to DVD-ROMs so bare with me! I'm after a DVD-ROM with the ability to output to TV. Firstly, am I right in assuming there are 2 ways to accomplish this:

(1) a DVD-ROM with hardware decoder (e.g. Creative Dxr3)
(2) software decoding plus a video card with TV Out

And secondly (assuming point one is correct), is there any difference in the picture and/or sound quality for both options?

I currently don't have a video card with TV out but am in the market for a new card anyway, so getting one with this option wouldn't be a problem. I'll probably be getting a GeForce 3/4 if that makes any difference?

I'd appreciate hearing anyones experiences, thoughts or recommendations.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The DXR cards are by far a better alternative. First off they use fewer resources, so if you have a program running it the background, say changing an MPG2 to Divx or some other system hungry app, you'll save resources for that program by using a hardware solution.

But more importantly, the picture quality is better, more adjustable, and you can even change aspect ratios and screen size more easily. Also, should you decide to convert one of your DVD's to VHS as a backup, you can disable copy protection far easier on the DXR card.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I gotta disagree or at least clarify. If you run a seperate pci decoder with an agp video card the tv out will look great but the extra step will make your monitor blurry. IMO the best solution is a vid card with mpeg2 decoding built in like an ati radeon. It is the best of both worlds. You have hardware decoding so the dvd/tv looks great and you eliminate the extra jump to the pci decoder so the desktop/monitor looks good too.

I've got: A system with a seperate pci decoder (blurry), a system with a seperate pcmcia decoder(sound pops), a system with a radeon (best/perfect), and a system with tv out and software only decoding(not bad but cpu stays busy and quality is not up to radeon standards). This is an area I know a little about. A cheap card with vid out will work fine with just a software player but a decent ati card would be better.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sure the tv looks great but what about the monitor? I guess it depends on taste. Is there something I don't know about the dxr that does not blur the monitor like my hollywood card does and like 3dfx cards did? I could easily be wrong since I don't have a dxr card.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My DXR2 card didn't blur my monitor that I noticed, hmm, maybe it's the quality of the cable? BTW I used standard VGA cables instead of the proprietary one with the RCA and VGA input.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My Hollywood card and my old 3dfx cards caused a noticable softening of the display which actually makes it better for movies but not so sharp on text.

If you get bored and would like to humor me swap your monitor cable direct to your vid card and see it everything is sharper.

I just went through this as I upgraded from a system that was too slow and needed the dvd card to a new system that can play in software no problem. I reused the exact same video card and the monitor is the same and it is a lot sharper now (text). Movies do look better with the hardware decoder card in.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
You could also get both the Dxr3 and a video card with TV output. This way you could use the Dxr3 for movies and TV output for everything else. I'm not sure if this would cause any conflicts in getting the software to run correctly, however.

Censorship makes us so much more creative.