Serial ATA getting closer

FatBurger

Illustrious
Can you taste it? I'll be glad for the smaller cables, if nothing else.

<A HREF="http://hardocp.com/article2.html?article_id=298&pg_num=1" target="_new">Soyo's PR</A> about their motherboards with Serial ATA.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Does this mean we'll start seeing serial ata hard drives sooner than later?

Ahhh the wait for new technology.

:eek: :frown: :mad: :eek: :redface: :cool: :lol: :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :)

dhlucke

Polypheme
Apparently it's just smaller cables (maybe longer??). Not a performance improvement.

<font color=red>I have a computer and it does weird stuff. please help.</font color=red>

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I haven't seen any test result of Serial ATA RAID configuration. Since the Serial ATA first generation's total bandwidth is 1500Mbps compared to USB 2.0's 480Mbps and IEEE 1394a's 400Mbps, it has a lot more potential.

<b> Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal </b>

FatBurger

Illustrious
First generation is still ATA-133. The bottleneck is still the drives, not the interface. Cables will be small like a USB cable, not a huge IDE one. Shouldn't be any difference in length, there's no reason for it. It will probably eliminate any differences between length, as with current cables (shorter is better).

logger

Distinguished
May 1, 2002
Ahh, I see. I was thinking of some new drive tech, that I heard of before. I was talking with a computer tech the other day and he was going off about some magnetic hard drive with no moving parts, he said comp would boot in about 2 seconds. Is this someting thats years down the road before it hits the streets? When do you think we will get the "next generation" of performance in hard drives?

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
I was talking with a computer tech the other day and he was going off about some magnetic hard drive with no moving parts, he said comp would boot in about 2 seconds. Is this someting thats years down the road before it hits the streets? When do you think we will get the "next generation" of performance in hard drives?
Not likely anytime soon. Your tech might have been thinking about MRAM, but that isn't HD tech. The last article I read about it showed that they are working with modules for use in products like phones/PDAs.

logger

Distinguished
May 1, 2002
ok, I am learning alot here, Thanks. So no big performance increases in hard drives anytime soon, maybe I should try raid.
Thanks

FatBurger

Illustrious
Solid state drives are around, but expensive. There are kits that let you make your own using normal SDRAM, but obviously it's expensive for any decent size (think of buying 60GB of PC133).