DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
I'm considering implementing a USB2 external backup solution for my system. Right now I have two 30G IDE drives (one for OS+Apps, and one for Docs+MP3s+etc). I want to get an external storage device onto which I can image my documents drive on a weekly basis. I read somewhere that USB2 is a good investment for this purpose.

I have seen a few controversial articles and discussion threads here, but I thought I'd open it up to debate again:

Can anybody recommend a USB2 hard drive? Or, should I consider an alternative to USB2?

Thanks in advance

-DOOM

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
You could go Firewire. I really haven't looked into USB 2.0 much

If you are as rich as Clint Eastwood, you can go SCSI (which is the best idea, but as I just mentioned, very pricy)

G

I have two HD's & just added a USB2 60Gig ACOM External HD ($200 - Best Buys. I've been able to trf all my MP3's and thus clear the two internal HD's for Drive Image backup, etc. It came with a USB2 update card included!

It's worked fine for me. Haven't quite figured out the USB2 vs USB (I have a USB Hub - not sure if it can work out of the USB2 port, although guessing it can. Not had time to get into it).
I'd recommend the above. A real relief to have plenty of HD space again.
Blessing,
DC

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You would know the difference. If it runs very slow, like a CD-ROM drive, it's USB. If it runs like a hard drive should, even an old slow hard drive, it's USB2.0

What's the frequency, Kenneth?