Sign in with
Your question

2 routers, 2 networks, 1 modem - USED to work

Last response: in Networking
June 9, 2012 7:08:27 PM

I changed ISPs from Comcast to ATT U-verse, which they kept telling me isn't DSL, but FIOS. I don't know, but that's what they said. I had an old Linksys WRT 310n router and that was placed upstairs. The ATT modem was put in the garage, it's pretty big. I think it's a modem/router - motorola I think. So what happened is that I had 2 wireless networks, one for half of the house (near the garage) that I guess went through the modem ATT gave me, and a network through the Linksys router. It worked great, and was super fast - this lasted about 6 weeks. I don't know if we had a power outage or what (it's been stormy here), but now I cannot connect to the linksys network.

It shows I'm connected to the router, but the router won't connect to the internet. It shows that the connection is "excellent" but I can't connect to the internet.
It also looks like the router has no IP address when I go to 192.168.1.1 and check status. I tried to ip release and renew, and I reset the Linksys router too. I also unplugged the modem and turned it back on. I'm no techie so please help! I'm so frustrated, I work from home and watch 3 kids so the internet is my sanity savior.
June 11, 2012 6:34:41 PM

Did you actually have two different wireless networks or was the old Linksys configured as an access point and connected to the new router with an Ethernet cable, maybe even with a different SSID?
m
l
June 13, 2012 2:06:01 AM

RealBeast said:
Did you actually have two different wireless networks or was the old Linksys configured as an access point and connected to the new router with an Ethernet cable, maybe even with a different SSID?

you know, i have no idea. I was trying to figure that out. The linksys router is plugged into an ethernet cable and plugged into the bedroom wall. does this mean that it was in fact, configured as an access point? i know not what to do!
m
l
Related resources
June 13, 2012 3:03:49 PM

Download the manuals (or pull them out of the closet if you still have them) fir reference. You need to go into the configuration page on each router and check the settings. Only the main router should have DHCP enabled, and also in the main router the linksys should be given either a reserved dynamic address (see address reservation in the manual) or a static address outside the DHCP IP assignment range but still in the network range. So for a static assignmnet if main router is 192.168.1.1, allow the DHCP range 192.168.1.2 to .127 and make the linksys .128 -- just example your third octet (digit) may vary.

Then check the radio channel, SSID, and security type and passkey. In the linksys use a different radio channel to avoid interference, the same SSID and secuirty type and passkey. That will give you a well configured AP without radio interference.

edit: and yes the two should be connected by Ethernet cable from LAN port to LAN port.
m
l
June 14, 2012 12:13:55 AM

This sounds very promising! Let me try tonight and update you later. Thanks!
m
l
!