Need help to indentify an miniature microphone (Nagra)

Could someone tell me something more about this particular miniature
microphone. I got it from a friend who told me that is was some special
microphone for Nagra SNST-R tape recorder (as he was told when he
got it from his friend). It used to have a square metal screw-in three
pole
connector on the other end - but friend of mine cut it and tried to
solder
it to a standard microphone jack to fit his Sony pocket voice recorder.
However, he wasn't satisfied with the sensitivity of this external mic
so,
continued using built-in and gave this one to me.

As you can see from photos it is quite small, covered with ugly looking
black rubber (just to protect it?)
Microphone capsule under this rubber coating appears to be 3D rectangle
shaped with two narrow cut-outs on the front side.

Can someone tell me something more about this microphone: what kind
of type is, sensitivity, how it can be connected to a non-Nagra
equipment
(my guess it that some power to it has to be supplied?).

Any further info is more than appreciated!

Photos of the microphone could be found at:

http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/zorpetus/vwp2?.tok=bcSugPVBmXfF7VLb&.dir=/microphone&.dnm=mic1.jpg&.src=bc

http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/zorpetus/vwp2?.tok=bcSugPVBuFnC_5bL&.dir=/microphone&.dnm=mic2.jpg&.src=bc
7 answers Last reply
More about need indentify miniature microphone nagra

    "Zorpetus" <zorpetus@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Could someone tell me something more about this particular miniature
    > microphone. I got it from a friend who told me that is was some special
    > microphone for Nagra SNST-R tape recorder (as he was told when he
    > got it from his friend). It used to have a square metal screw-in three
    > pole
    > connector on the other end - but friend of mine cut it and tried to
    > solder
    > it to a standard microphone jack to fit his Sony pocket voice recorder.
    > However, he wasn't satisfied with the sensitivity of this external mic
    > so,
    > continued using built-in and gave this one to me.
    >
    > As you can see from photos it is quite small, covered with ugly looking
    > black rubber (just to protect it?)
    > Microphone capsule under this rubber coating appears to be 3D rectangle
    > shaped with two narrow cut-outs on the front side.
    >
    > Can someone tell me something more about this microphone: what kind
    > of type is, sensitivity, how it can be connected to a non-Nagra
    > equipment
    > (my guess it that some power to it has to be supplied?).
    >
    > Any further info is more than appreciated!
    >
    > Photos of the microphone could be found at:

    http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/zorpetus/vwp2?.tok=bcSugPVBmXfF7VLb&.dir=/microphone&.dnm=mic1.jpg&.src=bc

    http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/zorpetus/vwp2?.tok=bcSugPVBuFnC_5bL&.dir=/microphone&.dnm=mic2.jpg&.src=bc

    Might be something from http://www.knowles.com/

    You'll likely have to cut the heat-shrink tubing off and look at the
    part number, etc. on the mic capsule if you want to look up anything.

    >Might be something from http://www.knowles.com/

    I don't think so - doesn't look like one of their microphone capsules.

    >You'll likely have to cut the heat-shrink tubing off and look at the
    >part number, etc. on the mic capsule if you want to look up anything.

    I am afraid that, by doing so, I might damage it somehow... :(

    P.S. I'll try to attach their photo to this message - and if that doesn't work
    - do you have some better ide where I can upload two JPG files, approx. 140 KB
    each and post a URL here?

    >Might be something from http://www.knowles.com/

    I don't think so - doesn't look like one of their microphone capsules.

    >You'll likely have to cut the heat-shrink tubing off and look at the
    >part number, etc. on the mic capsule if you want to look up anything.

    I am afraid that, by doing so, I might damage it somehow... :(

    P.S do you have some better ide where I can upload two JPG files, approx. 140
    KB each and post a URL here? Yahoo Briefcase seems not to be working as
    expected.

    >Might be something from http://www.knowles.com/

    I don't think so - doesn't look like one of their microphone capsules.

    >You'll likely have to cut the heat-shrink tubing off and look at the
    >part number, etc. on the mic capsule if you want to look up anything.

    I am afraid that, by doing so, I might damage it somehow... :(

    P.S do you have some better ide where I can upload two JPG files, approx. 140
    KB each and post a URL here? Yahoo Briefcase seems not to be working as
    expected.

    "Zorpetus" wrote ...
    >>Might be something from http://www.knowles.com/
    >
    > I don't think so - doesn't look like one of their microphone capsules.

    Dunno how you can tell without removing the tubing. What makes
    you think it isn't? It is rather a distinctive shape and there are not
    that many manufacturers of minature mic capsules on this planet.

    >>You'll likely have to cut the heat-shrink tubing off and look at the
    >>part number, etc. on the mic capsule if you want to look up anything.
    >
    > I am afraid that, by doing so, I might damage it somehow... :(

    Then you'll likely have to live with not knowing. Doesn't seem
    that delicate from looking at your picture. Is the inner case metal?

    > P.S do you have some better ide where I can upload two JPG files,
    > approx. 140 KB each and post a URL here? Yahoo Briefcase seems
    > not to be working as expected.

    Worked fine for me. People who use oddball browsers may have
    problems, but it likely works for 98% of us.

    >Dunno how you can tell without removing the tubing. What makes
    >you think it isn't? It is rather a distinctive shape and there are not
    >that many manufacturers of minature mic capsules on this planet.

    No, it doesn't look like one of these made by Knowles. For example, all these
    Knowles type do have some little "tube" attached to it - while this one
    doesn't have. Just 2 cut-outs on the front side. I've removed rubber coating
    in order to find some inscription of manufactorer/model - but no luck, nothing
    of the kind on tha capsule itself... :(

    "Zorpetus" wrote...
    > >Dunno how you can tell without removing the tubing. What makes
    >>you think it isn't? It is rather a distinctive shape and there are
    >>not
    >>that many manufacturers of minature mic capsules on this planet.
    >

    > No, it doesn't look like one of these made by Knowles. For example,
    > all these
    > Knowles type do have some little "tube" attached to it - while this
    > one
    > doesn't have. Just 2 cut-outs on the front side.

    It could still be a custom OEM version.

    > I've removed rubber coating in order to find some inscription
    > of manufactorer/model - but no luck, nothing of the kind on tha
    > capsule itself... :(

Microphone Audio