Replacement Woofer for JBL L65 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

I have owned a pair of JBL L65 speakers for many years, and I still love
them. One of them needs to have the 12 inch woofer replaced. I prefer
a replacement over a reconing.

I thought that I could simply order another woofer from JBL. But, I
cannot get JBL to respond to emails. Isn't it likely that I could find an
equally good 12 inch woofer from a third party, so that I could do the
replacment myself ?? If so, what would you recommend ??

Anyone had experience in replacing the woofer in this model ??

Can you offer any other advice ??

Thanks !!!

--James--

James wrote:

> I have owned a pair of JBL L65 speakers for many years,
> and I still love them. One of them needs to have the 12
> inch woofer replaced. I prefer a replacement over a reconing.

You omit what is wrong, it is however amazing that the foam suspensions
have not disintegrated sooner.

> I thought that I could simply order another woofer from JBL.

You can not so do, The chassis is no longer in production, to my
knowledge it has an Alnico type magnet, and those are extinct.

> But, I cannot get JBL to respond to emails.

Have you tried searching their sites, consumer as well as pro.

> Isn't it likely that I could find an equally good 12 inch
> woofer from a third party,

No. It is plain impossible.

> so that I could do the replacment myself ??

A reconing traditionally is half the price of what the unit would cost
over the counter.

> If so, what would you recommend ??

Find a qualified repairshop, preferably one that is used to dealing with
JBL. If you are really reallly lucky they have a pair of cone-kits left
on a shelf. There is one here in Denmark that might have old spareparts
around, but it is completely possible that JBL still can and will
deliver repairkits to the Jubal-woofer to an authorized retailer and
repairshop.

The nearest PA rental shop may know where to ask ....

> --James--

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Peter, thank you very much for the comments. But, can you please tell me
why it would be impossible to put a 12 inch woofer in this same cabinet ??

--James--

James wrote:

> I have owned a pair of JBL L65 speakers for many years, and I still love
> them. One of them needs to have the 12 inch woofer replaced. I prefer
> a replacement over a reconing.
>
> I thought that I could simply order another woofer from JBL. But, I
> cannot get JBL to respond to emails. Isn't it likely that I could find an
> equally good 12 inch woofer from a third party, so that I could do the
> replacment myself ?? If so, what would you recommend ??
>
> Anyone had experience in replacing the woofer in this model ??
>
> Can you offer any other advice ??

Oh, one more thing, if you in extreme folly do insist on replacing
instead of having repaired then please please please do not just discard
the old unit, nor toss it in anger, JBL magnets in usable state from
that day and age are of some value to somebody and certainly not scrap
iron.

> Thanks !!!
>
> --James--

Ron

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:24:35 -0400, "James"
<jnipperxxx@nospamfdn.com> wrote:

>I have owned a pair of JBL L65 speakers for many years, and I still love
>them. One of them needs to have the 12 inch woofer replaced. I prefer
>a replacement over a reconing.
>
>I thought that I could simply order another woofer from JBL. But, I
>cannot get JBL to respond to emails. Isn't it likely that I could find an
>equally good 12 inch woofer from a third party, so that I could do the
>replacment myself ?? If so, what would you recommend ??
>
>Anyone had experience in replacing the woofer in this model ??
>
>Can you offer any other advice ??
>
>Thanks !!!
>
>--James--

I had a pair of L-65 woofers reconed, using JBL original cones/voice
coils. Result was very stiff woofers, that took several hundred
hours (!!!) to loosen up. Once they did, sound quality reverted, if
memory serves, to the original.

This was about 7 years. At the time, I was told the parts were among
the last remaining in stock. I wonder if you will be able to obtain
original cones/voice coils any more. If you can, I feel the repair
is worthwhile. There is no advantage to replaecing the basket and
magnet structure.

JBL did respond delegently to emails. They provided the parts and
labor unders warranty. For 20 year speakers, I though that was
remarkable of them.

-- Ron

"James"wrote:
> I had a pair of L-65 woofers reconed, using JBL original
> cones/voice coils. Result was very stiff woofers, that took
> several hundred hours (!!!) to loosen up. Once they did,
> sound quality reverted, if memory serves, to the original.

I had a pair of LE-20s and PR-20s reconed and they also were
so much stiffer than the originals, I have despaired of using the
original design for an enclosure. I will need to re-characterize
them and measure new Thiele-Small parameters.

The original suspensions were butter-soft, but they really
fell apart (in a matter of a few years in the LA smog).

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Peter Larsen, you are truly as ass !!!! While your posts contain helpful
information, your tone is highly arrogant.

--James--

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

James,

If you really like the speakers and the way they sound, I'd consider
re-coneing a lot sooner than I'd use a different woofer. I've had good
service from Millersound Labs in Lansdale, PA.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

James wrote:

> Peter Larsen, you are truly as ass !!!!

Nah ... I didnt flame you without helping you and you got quality advice
without having to pay for it. Objectively you are as wrong about that as
you are about wanting to use just any other 12" loudspeaker.

> While your posts
> contain helpful information, your tone is highly arrogant.

Quite true, your arrogant attitude got you an intentionally arrogant and
somewhat flaming reply because of your disrespect for getting quality
advice free of charge, I am very glad that you did understand the
intended arrogance for what it is, and I do hope that you on reflection
will understand what caused it.

You do say that you like your loudspeakers and simultanously you
repeatedly ask whether any 12" loudspeaker will do, and you do it with a
perseverance that give the possibly unintended impression of gross
stupidity.

You did not seem to like me saying that you should first try to get
original spareparts, next try to get third party front suspensions if
they be the problem and you have still not bothered telling the
newsgroup you ask for help whether front suspension decay is all that
ails your loudspeakers.

> --James--

Peter Larsen

Ron wrote:

> >Anyone had experience in replacing the woofer in this model ??

> I had a pair of L-65 woofers reconed, using JBL original
> cones/voice coils. Result was very stiff woofers, that took
> several hundred hours (!!!) to loosen up. Once they did,
> sound quality reverted, if memory serves, to the original.

Possibly a too rigid spider because of the many years spent on a
spareparts shelf. It could be tempting in that situation to let them
play squash-fm with a modest excursion and no cabinet for a sensible
period of time, nothing extreme, +/- 1 millimeter or so.

> JBL did respond delegently to emails.

There is a contact adress listed on the loudspeaker models "homepage" on
the jbl-site, the questinee could ask them what modern model from the
JBL palette that would be a suitable replacement and what
modification(s) that might be required for them to work, change of port
lenght or so, and then sell the old units "as is" on ebay if the
suggestion of getting a third party front suspension is inapplicable.

> -- Ron

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

>> JBL did respond delegently to emails.

JBL's pro division responded very quickly and helpfully when I asked
them some questions about repairs to my pair of 375 drivers. They
have an amazing amount of information on-line about products they
haven't produced in decades.

Mike Squires
--

Mike Squires (mikes at cs.indiana.edu) 317 233 9456 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at siralan.org 546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408

Michael Squires wrote:

>>> JBL did respond delegently to emails.

> JBL's pro division responded very quickly and helpfully when
> I asked them some questions about repairs to my pair of
> 375 drivers.

I do not know the current status of this, but traditionally JBL supports
all pro loudspeaker systems with spareparts indefinitely. It has been
explained in this thread that the last original spareparts for the L65
woofer went about 7 years ago.

As I recall the marketing of the L65 Jubal it was marketed as a system
for the living room, impolitely said a system for those who either did
not have the room for a 300 or the budget and the foam front suspension
12" bass unit was a bit unusual in the context of the general catalogue
back then.

I do not know this for a fact, but it is however probable that there
were fewer basket designs than models, ie. that an alternative reconing
kit may exist that fits the magnet structure, but requires modification
of cabinet tuning and perhaps/perhaps not the crossover. It may well be
that there is enough adjustment range in midrange and treble level
controls, if any, to make it work. This is where a skilled JBL
repairsshop can come in real handy ....

> Mike Squires

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

In article <4277A86C.E864F782@mail.tele.dk>,
Peter Larsen <SPAMSHIELD_plarsen@mail.tele.dk> wrote:

>> JBL's pro division responded very quickly and helpfully when
>> I asked them some questions about repairs to my pair of
>> 375 drivers.
>
>I do not know the current status of this, but traditionally JBL supports

JBL no longer has the original aluminum 375 diagphragm in stock, but does
stock a replacement in titanium which they consider superior. The people
whose opinions I trust (sound engineers) are pretty clear that they
consider the titanium version superior; however, having an original set
of aluminum diaphragms with the red (glyptal?) seals is currently worth
hundreds of dollars on eBay.

If the woofer in the L65 is anything like the D123 a friend had in a folded
horn system ca 1965 then it is capable of some pretty amazing bass (above the
cutoff frequency of the horn, of course).

Mike Squires
--

Mike Squires (mikes at cs.indiana.edu) 317 233 9456 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at siralan.org 546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408

Michael Squires wrote:

[quoting me]

>>I do not know the current status of this, but traditionally
>> JBL supports [pro products or something to that effect]

> JBL no longer has the original aluminum 375 diagphragm in stock,
> but does stock a replacement in titanium which they consider
> superior.

It is not irrelevant for an old system whether the membrane resonance
frequency is changed, conceivably some systems may require a cross-over
modification if it is higher in the new version than in the old version.
Similarly an extended top range may be a dual edged sword for a system
that crosses over to a 075 at 5 kHz, there too a cross-over modification
could be relevant.

> The people whose opinions I trust (sound engineers) are pretty
> clear that they consider the titanium version superior;

In a new system, no doubt about that, in an existing well balanced one
it will change it. It is a last resort, do both loudspeakers kind of
thing, there are similar spareparts recommendations for the L100. But
the local repair shop (Quali-Service) had all the old parts on the
shelf, so now the treble units of the somewhat deranged L100's I bought
some years ago have new original foam front covering and new
center-domes, some kid or cat dented the old ones and they were
consequently somewhat sharp sounding.

> however, having an original set of aluminum diaphragms with the
> red (glyptal?) seals is currently worth hundreds of dollars on eBay.

Of course, and perhaps they even fit the new magnets .... I know that
Altec did offer remagging, but I have not heard of JBL offering it, and
I do wonder whether just any loudspeaker manufacturing plant could do
it, I have encountered 2440 units that had lost 6 dB sensitivity due to
demagging by heavy use.

> If the woofer in the L65 is anything like the D123 a friend

It hurts whenever I read about those, someone lent me a pair that was
not in use some 20 years ago. I couldn't afford them at the time, so
fool as I was I returned them, I didn't want to keep borrowed things for
too long.

> had in a folded horn system ca 1965 then it is capable of some
> pretty amazing bass (above the cutoff frequency of the horn,
> of course).

The D123 is a front horn thingy rather than a rear loaded horn thingy,
rear loaded horns benefit tremendously from having a driver with Fs
below the horn cut-off, with front loading it is more about matching the
compliance in front of and behind the unit so that it moves
symmetrically.

The L65 woofer is however nothing like it, I have tried to remember
whether it is the same chassis, and I am fairly certain that it isn't,
it is more like the K120 chassis, it could be that it is a K120 with a
heavy membrane, foam front suspension and a very soft rear centering
spider instead of the fairly rigid K120 spider. I think the reason for
the lack of spareparts now is that the L65 never did appear in a "4
digit version", ie. was "just a loudspeaker for the home" and not a
Loudspeaker. Marketing wise it was somewhat an ugly duckling ....
neither one nor the other and it died just before it could have been
sold as "digital ready" .... an O76 had probably been a much betteer
match to its 5", it was a most pleasant thing to listen to.

> Mike Squires

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Michael Magnus

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
If only the foam is gone, and the rest of the woofer is still OK, I highly recommend to repair it yourself! I recently did it. If you are al little bit handy, it's no big deal. I bought the replacement foam rings (no rubber rings!!!) in Holland. It will cost you aprox. 70 € and a couple of hours work, but the result is perfect!! My speakers sound as new!! Here's the link!:
http://www.audiofriends.nl/speakerfoam/en/

good luck!

Michael (Belgium)