Plug in to the wall ethernet lan thing

jonboy79

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2012
Can someone give a review of this compared to wireless. I've had a quick look but not too sure which sub section it might be on in the forums. if anyone has any links etc. soon i will be moving to a new house and the games room will be upstairs and its rented so no drilling in hard will be allowed. so its going to have to be wireless or these plug in things.

regards jon

G

don't really understand very well, but when you can, try and go with Ethernet (unless, of course, you have a slow provider.) Wireless is good if you have laptops and phones and such.

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012
My setup is what I call the lazy man's setup. I just have cables from the router running along the corner of the floor and walls to each device. Messy yea kinda, but it works great.

The Rj-45 wall plates you are talking about are basically the same as my setup except they are routing cable through the wall cavity and use the plug in plates to make it easier to manage cables and connections. Since you can't drilling into the walls, that option is not possible.

You can either just run cables along the wall which works very well and can look good if done correctly.

Or you can use wireless. Using wireless relies on a number of factors to work properly.

Longer distances degrade performance.
Wall thickness and type degrade signal.
Prone to WI-FI hacks/attacks/leeching if not secured correctly.
+ a few other factors.

You also need a device with either built-in wireless or a plug in wireless adapter to receive the signal.

Also as a tip, try and connect your modem/router to the closest phone line to where you will need the connections. This eliminates excessive distances of cable or wireless distance needed.

jonboy79

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2012
Sorry guys and gals if there are any reading this, should have made it a bit more clear. first of all its a gaming machine and will be used for mp gaming. The product my friend has uses plugs into your electric plugs, it goes from your router to the plug this them sends the signal somehow down your electric cables then there is another plug that you plug in your computer and it picks up the signal from the router to your computer. he uses it for sky, but i was wondering if it will lower my ping etc.
Regards jon

jonboy79

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2012
Cheers, thats what i was meaning, thou they are cheaper on amazon, thou maybe not as good. Worried a little about power surge protection and stuff.
Now the choice i have is one of these, wifi or to place the router up from the main telecom box, i.e instead of the lounge put the router up in the bedroom, but then i hear it is better to have to router from the main junction as it loses strength the further away.
As soon as you get your build together there is always more stuff to research. :O(

No bumping threads here please.

Powerline may not work well unless you are sharing network with others on the same circuit. Of course the others also have to have a powerline adapter to see your PC, but who knows. WiFi may be the way to go, it's a more proven technology, but you are limited by distance more. On the other hand, you can get around that by using a wifi repeater between the router and the computer.

c614python

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
I would use a wireless router. They can go between floors in a house really easy, and if you are right above the router, then you should have strong signal. Just make sure you get a decent wireless adapter for the PC. I wouldn't use powerline, because it is not reliable, and it has poor signal strength.

The "best of both worlds" option is a wireless router for when it can transmit a signal to the computer, if tht has a wireless card or dongle, and a powerline adapter plugged into the router with another in your room plugged into your computer's ethernet connection. One way or the other, you should have a connection to the Internet.

jonboy79

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2012
Yeah sounds good, was just worried about the power line losing packets or effecting ping. not going to know how old the cables are unless i call a sparky out.