Sign in with
Your question

UGH! DDR400 or PC1066 RDRAM? Please help!

Last response: in Memory
May 29, 2002 9:36:59 PM

Hi. Sorry to bother you all with this question that everyone has different opinions on, but I have been debating over which type of RAM to buy for days now. I am going to build a P4 2.26GHZ 533MHZ FSB system, and I don't know if I should make it a DDR400 RAM system or a PC1066 RDRAM system. In your opinion, what is better at stock speeds and for overclocking? If it matters, I will be playing new games and doing video editing. Also, forget about price, and forget about telling me to wait for DDR-II or something. If I was to buy now, what should I get. I know PC1066 and DDR400 aren't even really offical standards yet, but pretend you could only choose from the two. Thanks for the help!
May 29, 2002 11:08:34 PM

If you can get PC1066, I'd go for that. But getting your hands on it is the tricky part.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
May 30, 2002 1:05:14 AM

PC1066 at the moment IS your best choice. Until they have Dual Channel DDR 400 at CAS2, you will never see the true meaning of DDR, so stick with RDRAM for now, it's really worth it, of course if you are full of $$$.

--
Meow
Related resources
May 30, 2002 4:23:25 AM

Okay, so if PC1066 is actually faster, how much faster? Will I be able to notice a difference, or will it be extremely minor? Also, are there less overclocking options when going RDRAM? After looking at both Asus and Gigabyte motherboards, it seems that they advertise less overclocking features on the RDRAM boards with the i850e chipsets. For example:

The Asus P4T533-C (i850e chipset) advertises:

-Easy DIP Switch or Jumperfree™ overclocking from BIOS.
-Flexible CPU Core Voltage Adjustments in 0.025V increments over defaults
-Rock-solid stability

But, the Asus P4B533 (i845E chipset) advertises:

-Easy DIP Switch or Jumperfree™ overclocking from BIOS
-Flexible CPU Core Voltage Adjustments in 0.05V increments over defaults
-Accurate 1MHz adjustments of system-bus-frequency
-Adjustable VIO memory voltage
-Adjustable FSB/PCI/MEM ratio
-Adjustable AGP bus
-Rock-solid stability

Does anybody know if you actually get more options when going with the DDR boards? If not, why don't they advertise the same overclocking features for both boards? I thought it might be just a mistake, but the Gigabyte boards are the same way. They advertise "Rich in overclocking features via BIOS settings" for both their i850E and i850G boards, but nor for their i850E board. This is weird!!! I might post this on the motherboard message board too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 30, 2002 7:14:06 AM

I've seen results that show you get a better result just having PC1066 Rdram with the 533 FSB than overclocking a 2.5ghz cpu to 2.7ghz. I've always been a fan of Rdram regardless of what people say. I also Like the Abit TH7 II board
May 30, 2002 5:50:16 PM

Quote:
Until they have Dual Channel DDR 400 at CAS2, you will never see the true meaning of DDR

And until RDRAM is quad-channel 64-bit, you'll never see the true meaning of RDRAM.

This could go on for quite some time.

May 30, 2002 8:11:08 PM

Indeed, but I see they are already ready for Dual Channel, proof by old faithful SiS. DDR II is in preps by Samsung, so I think DDR is currently going faster than RDRAM. If anything, it is Rambus' fault for not pushing the productivity in the RAM sector.

--
Meow
May 30, 2002 9:29:15 PM

I couldn't agree more, Rambus isn't dragging their sorry asses fast enough.

But speed of development does not make one technology better than the other. It's a part of it, I suppose. But not the only thing.

(And yes, I understand your point, I'm just playing Devil's advocate for the time being)

May 31, 2002 5:23:10 PM

I also agree. Roadmaps still show ESQDR or QDRII and DDRII coming out together in late fall.

Then we will need the chipsets/MCH's to support them.

There inlies the rub.

<b>"Sometimes you can't hear me because I'm talking in parenthesis" - Steven Wright</b> :lol: 
a b } Memory
May 31, 2002 11:46:04 PM

DDR would have to either be at DDR533, or at Dual Channel DDR266, to match the bandthwidth of the "533" bus P4. RDRAM is already their at PC1066. When dual channel DDR chipsets finally do come out for the P4, we should see improved performance over Rambus, do to the lower latency of SDRAM. Until then, PC1066 is the best solution.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
June 1, 2002 2:38:18 AM

I'm getting my Kingston PC1066 RDRAM on Monday (they sent four packages, one arrived on Friday, the will on MOnday, grrr...so all I have is a a Klipsch speaker system sitting here with no computer to attach it to. =)

Anyways, Newegg.com had it in stock for a while, but it seems they're empty. I guess I was lucky enough to get it shipped to me.

Googlegear still has some I think. But like I said, it's painfully expensive, and no 512MB modules, which is what I wanted.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>
June 2, 2002 2:58:48 AM

Okay, so it looks like the PC1066 RDRAM is better, but one more question. If you are comparing 256MB of PC1066 RAM to 512 MB of DDR400 RAM, which would be better? I could by 512 megs of Samsung DDR400 RAM for about the same price as 256MB of Samsung PC1066 RDRAM. Let me know what you think.
June 2, 2002 1:58:43 PM

Speed and Memory size rarely make a difference, unless you're in WinXP with 256MB RAM changing to 512MB. I recommend 512MB PC1066, or 2*256MB.

--
Meow
!