Cannot connect to internet with 1 machine

franko77

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Title pretty much sums it up. Everything in the house can connect to the internet aside from my windows 7 machine. It was working fine acouple days ago. it was connecting via a wireless network adapter through a USB. I tried switching the USB ports, hardwiring, re-downloading/installing the drivers and even reformatting the machine. i still cannot get an internet connection. Only logical thing to do would be to replace the NIC ? I may be missing something, any help is greatly appreciated.

algar32

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

What error do you get when running the trouble shooter? We may be having similar problems :http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/40528-42-local-area-conection-doesnt-havea-valid-configuration

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
So you have now tried to use a wireless USB to access the Net and are you saying that you have use an Ethernet cable as well? If so is the Ethernet post part of the USB or a separate card / part.

Also although it is not giving you internet is it getting an IP Address Allocation from your router?

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012
In command prompt run 'ipconfig /all'

After typing 'ipconfig /all' and pressing enter, under your wireless adapter there should be a whole bunch of headings such as 'Ipv4 Address', 'Default Gateway' etc.

Just so we can see if you have a connection to the router and your getting an IP/DNS reply with the:

DHCP Enabled: Yes or No
Ipv4 Address
Default Gateway
DHCP Server
DNS Servers

If a default gateway is listed. In command prompt type 'ping' followed by the default gateway and press enter. For example 'ping 10.1.1.1'. Let us know if it is successful, if successful then there is a link to your router and we can narrow down the problem, if not then you don't have a link to your default gateway and we can help fix that.