Blocking individuals internet access?

Nemoshibati

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Hello,

I am setting up a network for a friend with children. He has a BT homehub and wants to block their access between certain hours. However by using access control on BT it tells you that you have been blocked which is no good as he cannot feign ignorance and pretend he doesn't know what to do (as his kids will pester him to fix it). He therefore wants to block their access more discreetly (as if the internet was generally timing out or messing up instead of actually displaying they have access control).

Is there a way to block an individual's access on the router without blocking everybody either on a timer or manually done each time (thus if there isn't a way of automating it he can at least do this manually each time).

I can't remember how the people on this forum are, but if I remember correctly they are very helpful and you don't usually get Yahoo Answers style answers saying 'just tell them they aren't to use the internet during that time' but if there is anybody out there who is considering answering with something that doesn't address the problem I would rather they don't if they can restrain themselves.

Anyway thanks in advance community

Most routers have some sort of blocking, but they still show a blocked message.

OK, now comes the real advice: Tell your friend to be a real father; lay down the internet usage rules and then stand firm and take the flack. That is what I did with my three children ;)