Sign in with
Your question

Removing partition from win 7 Pro 64 bit

Last response: in Windows 7
February 6, 2010 5:45:18 PM

Is it possible to run win 7 pro 64 without any HD partitions?
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2010 5:59:22 PM

No. Where were you thinking of installing it?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2010 6:38:38 PM

A HD without a partition is just a paperweight.
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2010 5:51:14 PM

I had some issues when I upgraded to Win 7. Specifically it stuck the OS in a partition, recommended the size (10G) and then called it C. So as you can figure it is full and I cannot resize larger nor change the letter. Does this mean reinstall. DOS format remove all partitions and start over. Or is there a Utility to fix my ignorance?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 7, 2010 6:06:41 PM

Not quite sure why you can't resize, but there are many utilities that will do this for you (ChrisCornell mentions one - you might also look at GParted). From experience I can tell you that such resizing sometimes leads to an unbootable system, but that is easily cured by doing a repair from the install DVD.

In any case, you will still end up with at least one partition on your disk.
m
l
February 8, 2010 8:17:21 PM

I am sportin the 64 bit version, is there something that will work on it? The 'Easeus' is a 32 bit program.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2010 8:36:29 PM

Use GParted Live (Google it). You boot it from a CD, so it doesn't matter which version of Windows you have. Backup any important data before attempting to mess about with partitions. It shouldn't go wrong, but....
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 9, 2010 2:12:10 PM

I resized my C:\ Drive by using Disk Management:

1. Reduce the size of the logical partition by the amount you want to increase your C:\ Drive. This space becomes "un-allocated"

2. Resize the C:\ Drive by increasing it to consume all "un-allocated" space.

It takes less than one minute and didn't require any other software.

I had to resize my C:\ Drive because Win 7 didn't allow me to make a partitiion during setup (?? weird). Therefore, Win 7 took the entire 160GB HDD. I resized immediately after installing Win 7.
m
l
February 9, 2010 2:22:09 PM

Tryed it. Something to do with Logical Drive I am thinking, if it was simple I would not be here. The problem arrises from the fact the OS has protected the partition, I just am at a loss to determine a way around the process. I tryed GParted, it responds the same as the Disk Manager.
m
l
!