Is there such a thing as 18 chip, CAS 2, pc2100?

Mr_Perfect

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2001
I have a Asus A7M266 mobo and it only supports ram sticks with 18 chips on them. I've been planning on upgrading my memory by filling my two slots with two CAS 2 512MB, but I can't find any. I've checked Corsair, Crucial, Muskin, Micron and did a genral pourosal of Pricewatch, but everything I find is either registered/buffered/ECC and ment for Servers, or it's 32 chips, or is CAS 2.5.

Is there such a thing as a nonregistered/buffered/ECC, CAS 2, 512meg, 18 chip stick of PC2100? :eek:

-------------
Mr. Perfect
-------------
Descent, because gravity is highly over-rated.

Mr_Perfect

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2001
Egads. I was lieing in bed wondering WTH they were making RAM sticks out of 8 megs chips when I had a though. The ram is listed as double sided and "32x8". Now, I've taken that to mean it was made up of two sides, each with thirty two 8megs chips. But it could <i>also</i>(and more logicly) mean eight, 32meg chips on each side for a total of 512megs on 16 chips.

Damn, I feal foolish. They're actually 16 chip sticks, arn't they?

-------------
Mr. Perfect
-------------
Descent, because gravity is highly over-rated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm fairly certain that it's the chip size of the actuall chips, 32x8mbit=32MB, multiply that by 16 and you get 512MB for a double sidded DIMM with 8 chips per side. This is the lowest density memory type you'll find for a 512MB DIMM.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?