Just got a P910i - have a few synch to PC questions...

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Hi

Got my shiny new P910 a week ago and have a few questions...

When trying to synch with my PC (Using Office XP) I keep getting a message
that OL isnt my default mail client. I dont want it to be as I prefer to use
OE. Does OL have to be the default mail client before synching works? The
irony is that the only thing I dont need to synch are the messages!

My Norton Firewall wants to block the connection when I attempt to synch.
Any idea how do I configure NPF to allow the connection?

A few more q's not related to synching...

My previous PIM was a Psion 5 which had a neat utility called copyanywhere -
this allowed any text on the PC or Psion to be copied and pasted to the
other. Is there anything like this for the P910?

Finally...

Does your 910 run slower if the battery is low e.g 15% or less?

TIA

Ian
6 answers Last reply
More about just p910i synch questions
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    Ian Roberts reckoned that...
    > When trying to synch with my PC (Using Office XP) I keep getting a message
    > that OL isnt my default mail client. I dont want it to be as I prefer to use
    > OE. Does OL have to be the default mail client before synching works? The
    > irony is that the only thing I dont need to synch are the messages!

    The software will not sync with OE, only OL.

    > My previous PIM was a Psion 5 which had a neat utility called copyanywhere -
    > this allowed any text on the PC or Psion to be copied and pasted to the
    > other. Is there anything like this for the P910?

    You can copy and paste text yes, simply highlight the text and choose
    "copy" from the "edit" menu.
    --
    www.unlockingshop.co.uk
    SonyEricsson K700i unlock/unbrand - £22.50

    Jon wrote:

    > The software will not sync with OE, only OL.

    Don't think that was the question. I understood it to be: can I sync
    Outlook contacts, todo, and diary if Outlook is not set as the default
    email client on the PC.

    On this person's PC it isnt't and he is getting that error message, even
    though he isn't interested in sync'ing email.

    >>My previous PIM was a Psion 5 which had a neat utility called copyanywhere -
    >>this allowed any text on the PC or Psion to be copied and pasted to the

    I used to have a Psion 5 then 5mx too. There is no equivalent for the
    p800/p900/p910. What I do is copy and paste into an Outlook note field,
    then sync, and that appears on the phone as an unfiled new jotter note.

    Hope this helps

    all the best,
    Ian
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:57:29 +0100, Jon wrote:

    > The software will not sync with OE, only OL.

    And also Lotus Notes, Lotus Organizer and the Windows Address Book.

    I have been using Organizer 6.1 very successfully. Still available from and
    supported by IBM on their web site.

    Incidentally, if you are upgrading from a Palm device Organizer includes a
    Palm conduit so you can synch your Palm to Organizer and then synch
    Organizer to your shiny new P910i.

    --
    Regards
    Barry

    >When trying to synch with my PC (Using Office XP) I keep getting a message
    >that OL isnt my default mail client. I dont want it to be as I prefer to use
    >OE. Does OL have to be the default mail client before synching works? The
    >irony is that the only thing I dont need to synch are the messages!

    It will only work with Outlook. Spent ages getting to the bottom of this
    as my default email is Turnpike. Unless you specify Outlook it will NOT
    synch. I even complained to Sony Ericsson.

    >My Norton Firewall wants to block the connection when I attempt to synch.
    >Any idea how do I configure NPF to allow the connection?

    You have to amend the firewall settings to allow the programs to run and
    there are a few of them.

    --
    Gregory
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    "Gregory Kirby" <Gregory@1sthome.co.uk> wrote in message

    > >When trying to synch with my PC (Using Office XP) I keep getting a
    message
    > >that OL isnt my default mail client. I dont want it to be as I prefer to
    use
    > >OE. Does OL have to be the default mail client before synching works? The
    > >irony is that the only thing I dont need to synch are the messages!
    >
    > It will only work with Outlook. Spent ages getting to the bottom of this
    > as my default email is Turnpike. Unless you specify Outlook it will NOT
    > synch. I even complained to Sony Ericsson.

    Surely you can choose not to Sync with Outlook at all, can't you tell it not
    to sync with a mail prog?

    Can it sync your contacts with Windows address book?

    Si.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    >Surely you can choose not to Sync with Outlook at all, can't you tell it not
    >to sync with a mail prog?

    The whole synch process hinges on mail default being Outlook.

    I tried everything.

    If you don't set it, it doesn't happen.

    Visit the knowledge base

    http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&lc=en&ver=4000&template=ps1_1&z
    one=ps&lm=ps1_1&pid=10101

    and see if they have improved on it as I run the P900. But I doubt it
    from what I was told.

    >Can it sync your contacts with Windows address book?

    Haven't tried, I use Outlook contacts, jotter, tasks and calendar and it
    is fine. The only bogey is the email having to be Outlook. You get used
    to it.

    --
    Gregory

Ericsson