MP3 component. Does anyone have one?

Last response: in Home Audio
May 7, 2005 3:33:47 AM

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audiotron/inde...

This is an awesome component. Released in 2001, I just heard of it !
Does anyone have one? The website says it is no longer available.
What does that mean? I'm calling the company tomorrow.

This device, connects to my home network to get to my desktop which
holds 6,000 songs. A stereo component that connects, plays MP3's AND
connects to my ethernet?!?!?: Good God.

OK, what other device is similar? I thought I did the best thing
possible for my wife by conneting a wireless laptop to the stereo (a
dedicated laptop).

Anyone know of the device listed above?
Anyone know of a similar product?

Rich

More about : mp3 component

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 2:26:30 PM

<Richard.Galvan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audiotron/inde...

> OK, what other device is similar? I thought I did the best thing
> possible for my wife by conneting a wireless laptop to the stereo (a
> dedicated laptop).

Similar devices include Slim Devices Squeezebox2, and Philips Streamium.

I have the Netgear MP101, which is cuirrently selling in the UK for about
£50. It connects to wired or wireless Ethernet. It comes with server
software to run on your PC, to play your music collection stored there (in
various formats). You can select music by artist, album, genre, etc; the
device will also play playlists stored on your PC.

It works fine; however, for all these devices, the interface is a smallish
display operated by a remote control.

By the way, I stopped using Netgear's own server software, and now use
Twonky. The reason is that, while the Netgear can play music from internet
radio, you have to subscribe to some service or other to get that through
the Netgear. I don't actually listen to internet radio very often, but I
was sufficiently irritated by Netgear's approach to change software. Twonky
is free, seems more reliable, and it starts faster.

I think if you're considering one of these devices, you should go in with
eyes open. They certainly work; but their interface limitations mean that
some people find them awkard to use, so you may find some members of your
family frustrated with them.

Still, at less than 100 dollars for a wireless-connected device, it's
tempting to put them in bedrooms to have all music available everywhere at
all times.

Tim
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 4:37:50 PM

In <1115447627.734046.327360@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, on 05/06/05

at 11:33 PM, Richard.Galvan@gmail.com said:

see sonos.com

spam: uce@ftc.gov
13> (Barry Mann)
May 9, 2005 7:08:25 PM

http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_specs.html

http://www.streamium.com/products/

> I have the Netgear MP101,

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MP101.php

There are also the Rokulabs Soundbridge M2000, M1000 e M500:

http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/models.php

manual:
http://www.rokulabs.com/support/SBguide-012105-3.pdf
http://www.rokulabs.com/support/sbuserguide.php

At www.technikdirekt.de:
Roku Soundbridge M 500 ORDER.-NR.: 772833 199 euros
Roku Soundbridge M 2000 ORDER.-NR.: 768577 428 euros

Soundbridge Roku Md-1000 : 25cm, 280 X 16 Pixels 258,34 TTC
http://www.macway.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_1008_100...

Soundbridge Roku Md-2000 : 43cm, 512 X 32 Pixels 498,73 TTC
http://www.macway.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_1008_100...

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:47:52 AM

My "MP3 component" is a used laptop dedicated to the stereo system, with
remote-control software so I can operate it from elsewhere on my home
network. (I wanted an LCD display on the media box, and including a
whole PC with it didn't increase the cost very much!)
May 16, 2005 6:35:10 PM

Hey, I want to thank everyone here for the feedback.

I found this new device: WM6000 made by Creative. The same guys who
make my portable Nomad Jukebox (which I LOVE).

Have anyone bought one>? WM6000

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&...

After looking over all the wireless audio devices I could find, this
one seems to be just what I was looking for. The remote has a display,
so I can choose from the display.

For the others I was looking at, I was always balancing the need for a
readable display from afar, but not a display that is too bright or...
obnoxious.

This seems to be just the right thing. The display is actually on the
remote.

Well, I'd like to see if anyone has used one. Specifically, I want to
find out if the list of songs shows up only when I point the remote at
the unit, or, does it 'read' the library and keep that in the remote.

Thanks again !
Rich
May 16, 2005 8:41:20 PM

On 5/16/2005 4:35 PM, Rich wrote:
> Hey, I want to thank everyone here for the feedback.
>
> I found this new device: WM6000 made by Creative. The same guys who
> make my portable Nomad Jukebox (which I LOVE).
>
> Have anyone bought one>? WM6000
>
> http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&...
>
> After looking over all the wireless audio devices I could find, this
> one seems to be just what I was looking for. The remote has a display,
> so I can choose from the display.
>
> For the others I was looking at, I was always balancing the need for a
> readable display from afar, but not a display that is too bright or...
> obnoxious.
>
> This seems to be just the right thing. The display is actually on the
> remote.
>
> Well, I'd like to see if anyone has used one. Specifically, I want to
> find out if the list of songs shows up only when I point the remote at
> the unit, or, does it 'read' the library and keep that in the remote.
>
> Thanks again !
> Rich

Doesn't stream lossless formats like FLAC. You may want to check out
the Squeezebox 2 by Slim Devices. Remote doesn't have a display, but
the display words can be made very large and the SB2 can be programmed
via the web page on a wireless laptop.
!